Default world state (choices from 2)

+
Default world state (choices from 2)

Hey!

Could anybody please tell me what are the default choices set for you, if you did not import saves from 2 or chose simulate saves?

A tiny tooltip could have been a lot of help saying "selecting simulate saves will allow you to recap your choices" because of course I chose "off" (it was totally unclear which does what...) I thought turning simulate on would "make the choices for you..."
Having played through white orchard and put in 4-5 hours already i'm not really keen on starting again, but if the default choices are not in line with my W2 playtrough I'll have no other choice...

Really poor choice of wording on that "simulate"....... not happy right now

Last edited:
I did the same mistake. But I kept playing as I would definitely do couple of more plays later so I have an options to pick then. Also, I wanted to see what CDPR themselves think about what Geralt's choices should have been in TW2.

I found some clues as to what the default world state is and here are my findings from my time in TW3 , of course these are my guesses and I could be totally wrong, so please feel free to correct me.
Please note, there are major spoilers below for TW2. For TW3 I kept all the names and places out of it, so I personally do consider them non-spoiler, but still proceed at your own risk.
1. TATTO: No tatto from the hangover mission, although not important by itself, but its absence, as far as I know, probably means Geralt didn't romance Ves, which makes me happy as I always looked at Ves as Roche's love interest.

2. Roche or Iorveth (TW2 Act 1 ending): Geralt goes with Roche, guessed it based on #2.

3. Henselt Alive or Dead: He definitely died in TW2 Act 2.
After the last main quest conversation of prologue you'll get a chance to get an update about the world.
Mainly about how the war is progressing in the Northern Realms.
During this you'll be told that "...after the death of Kaedwen's King there was total chaos in Kaedwen..." (these are not exact words, but you get the poing). So, going on Roche's path and killing Heselt is the only world state in which he is dead at the end of TW2 and Kaedwen crumbles into chaos.

4. Save Triss or Save Anias: I am guessing Geralt chooses to save Triss because its bloody TRISS we are talking about, do you need any more reason :).
Besides in TW3 Nilfgaard still seems to retain its mages as per the conversations. Still need more proof to confirm this.

However, the counter claim here is that in TW3 there is lot of mentions of witch hunts, i.e. all mages are being persecuted in the Northern Realms,
not sure if all or just the non-Nilfgaardian occupid areas, and mages are going into hiding.

5. Sile Save of Kill: Geralt killed her for sure as the Lodge is on the run.
You'll hear this from an ex lodge members. You'll meet this person sometime after the prologue as part of the main quest, just ask all question in detail).

Also there is letter from one Lodge member to another which you can pick up and read just after your last main quest conversation at the end of prologue, which talks about "hopeful" restoration of the Lodge, and if Sile was alive that would not have been necessary. Note that this letter is easy to miss.

This would only happens if Geralt kills Sile.

Haven't yet found info regarding the following:
1. Aryan La Vallete: I am guessing he is dead, one way or another. If Geralt didn't do in TW2 then the war might have taken him.

2. Anias: given to Radovid or Natalis, but if I had to guess she would have to be given to Radovid, just a feeling based on other CDPR's default world state choices.

3. Saskia: I am hoping he didn't kill her, after all witchers don't hunt/kill Dragons.

3. Letho: If Geralt spared him, he definitely is alive.

Really good insights, thanks for your answer.

If all of this is true I"m down with that, except with the iorveth/roche choice. Being an outcast himself and one of his best friends -Zoltan- supporting the rebellion I would find it hard to believe that he would go with the blue stripes.

Triss and Letho choices would be quite obvious yeah. :)

Anyways, I accepted this for my first playtrhru, whatever the choices might have beeen, and I totally agree with you on that I also am quite interested in how CD imagined the whole adventure.

Have fun, and thanks!

I did Iorveth's path, saved Triss, saved Sile, saved Letho, spared Aryan, got tattoo.

Henselt was killed in battle with Radovid despite me going with Iorveth.
The lodge is still on the run despite saving sile and triss.

We are in the spoilers section so no hiding things for me.

I'm not sure what some of the default W3 choices are but I do know that the following will happen no matter what you did in W2.

1) Henselt is dead. Either Roche killed him or he died someplace else. Doesn't matter what your W2 choice was.
2) Anais does not go to Radovid. She ends up with Roche. Even the interview doesn't ask who got her.
3) Stennis is dead.

I think the default choice for Saskia is that she lives.

<snip>
1. TATTO: No tatto from the hangover mission, although not important by itself, but its absence, as far as I know, probably means Geralt didn't romance Ves, which makes me happy as I always looked at Ves as Roche's love interest.
<snip>

I can confirm the tattoo is in the game. I imported my Witcher 2 save and it is indeed there. It even shows in the tutorial at Kaer Morhen, which at first I thought was really weird but then again it is a dream so it makes sense I suppose.

I can confirm the tattoo is in the game. I imported my Witcher 2 save and it is indeed there. It even shows in the tutorial at Kaer Morhen, which at first I thought was really weird but then again it is a dream so it makes sense I suppose.

Your right. But here we are discussing the Default World State, which is when you don't import a TW2 save and you choose No for Simulate when creating a new game, i.e. your letting the game decide what TW2 choices were.

---------- Updated at 08:35 AM ----------

2) Anais does not go to Radovid. She ends up with Roche. Even the interview doesn't ask who got her.
3) Stennis is dead.

I think the default choice for Saskia is that she lives.
Those line up with what I said earlier.
If you take Roche's path Stennis is guaranteed to die.
Then in Act 3 if you go after Triss and not Anias, Roche take Anias into exile.
As for Saskia the real question is will we get a chance to free her as that in TW2 was only possible if you took Iorveth's path and didn't save Triss.

So I guess they needed Henselt dead for their story arc for Radovid in TW3.

---------- Updated at 08:38 AM ----------

If all of this is true I"m down with that, except with the iorveth/roche choice. Being an outcast himself and one of his best friends -Zoltan- supporting the rebellion I would find it hard to believe that he would go with the blue stripes.

Think it this way the only reason he was able to go after Letho was because of Roche, and Geralt's main goal was to clear his name not to rebel agains the humans, so going with Roche to me seems like the logical choice. And going with Iorveth would be a more personal choice.

Really good insights, thanks for your answer.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. To me it seems like the most sensible and logical choice. Geralt for me was never the valiant, rebellious type that would put off following the Kingslayer for some heroic siege defense.

Besides, he has something called loyalty and I am sure Roche busting him out of the prison and wanting to help him on finding the Kingslayer resonated with his (sometimes a bit rigid) codex much more.

Think it this way the only reason he was able to go after Letho was because of Roche, and Geralt's main goal was to clear his name not to rebel agains the humans, so going with Roche to me seems like the logical choice. And going with Iorveth would be a more personal choice.

Exactly.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. To me it seems like the most sensible and logical choice. Geralt for me was never the valiant, rebellious type that would put off following the Kingslayer for some heroic siege defense.

Besides, he has something called loyalty and I am sure Roche busting him out of the prison and wanting to help him on finding the Kingslayer resonated with his (sometimes a bit rigid) codex much more.

Exactly.

Doesn't his loyalty to his long time friend Zoltan trump anything a guy who put him in prison for a thing he didn't do deserve?

I played the Roche path once, but the Iorveth one twice and I felt better going with him,

It's a good idea for those with the default world state to keep posting as they play, as it might help to identify what exactly the default state is. I'm one of those people, so here are what I've observed so far that might reveal what the default world state is:

1. At the 'state of the world' briefing:
1a. Reference that Natalis is 'missing' as to the state of Temeria's resistance.
1b. Henselt is dead, although it is not stated where he died. Reference to Kaedwin is that it was weakened. Not sure if this changes if you have a save game where Henselt is alive, but I doubt it, seems like he will die, either on Roche path, or in battle during the war.

2. The lady La Valette is alive and in Novigrad (you get a character codex entry about her). EDIT: after actually talking to her as part of the Broken Flowers quest, her codex entry updates and confirms that the default world state is that Geralt saves Aryan at the battle, as the entry notes that she views him favourably because of this. So, that's at least one item almost certain.

3. Triss has the Rose of Remembrance in her ransacked apartment. Has dialogue option to mention it as well. This may suggest a full 'romance' path, i.e. saving her, but more would probably be needed to reveal if this is the case. As an aside, I thought it was a really nice touch that in her ransacked apartment you find her Witcher 2 outfit on the floor!

That's all I've discovered so far, but obviously it's going to take time for people to play their way through the game in order to find where the possible differences are.

Last edited:
I heard back from an official source on the default state. Here's what they told me:

Letho is dead.
Sile is dead.
La Valette is dead.
Roche path

So looks like the Conclave is gone too.
On the quest A Towerful of Mice, Geralt says "If the Conclave was still there ..." on the top floor of the tower.

Top Bottom