Defeating the Kaedweni standard bearer

+
Defeating the Kaedweni standard bearer

Good morning,

I literally joined these forums just to give feedback on this one mission. Don't get me wrong, I love the Witcher 2, currently playing through it on Dark difficultly, having a blast, it's a great game.

This just one mission. Well, it's not a bad mission I guess, it's a very tough one however for someone like me who relies a LOT on dodging and uses a lot of hit and run during fights (they can't hit what they can see).

This one mission takes away this fundamental tool of my fighting style, which I wouldn't find a problem if I weren't FORCED to load the game back to outside the mist, re-enter the mist, right click through all the cut-scene and then try again only to fail again. Rinse and repeat. I still haven't beat the damn mission, it's very difficult to not get surrounded, avoid the draugir and kill off all the soldiers before they kill you. Yeah they take 2 or 3 hits to kill. The wraith you play as is also tanky, yet it's a very clunky guy, it's very difficult to hit without getting hit back 3 times. The fire makes everything worse.

Please, if you're going to make a very hard mission, at least reduce the down-time between tries to less than 5 seconds or something. This is rage inducing.

Edit: LOL ok I'm over 20 attempts now, I'm going to say screw this. I guess I can't play this game anymore? It's impossible to hit a single fruiting soldier because you either get knocked down, or you get three times by other soldiers, or you get in a hit but for some reason you can't move for 1s after swinging your sword and then the dragir itself will block any of your sword swings you can get in. You can't move around because if you do the fire kills you. You can't out run anything and since you're outnumbered it's just not possible to actually pull this off. maybe it's because i'm not blocking or anything, either way i'm tired of having to go through 3 loading screens and a cut-scene every attempt, this is a huge waste of time. yes, this is a rant. you can't even change the difficulty to get past this poopie mission because if you do you can't go back to where you were before. seriously, screw this. maybe tomorrow i will get up and go for a 10 km jog and then do 50 push-ups, eat eggs and drink 2 cups of strong black italian coffee and maybe then i'll be able to beat this damn mission, because this mission sure as hell can't be beat if you're tired as is often the case during the evening.

wow, there's not a lot of stuff that gets under my skin but this mission is like 10 mosquitos armed with harpoons or something, it's ridiculous

Last edited:
You just gotta get blocking down. I know it's probably odd since rolling is more effective than blocking most of the game but practice blocking. You only need to kill the banner bearer too if you're at the part I think you're on. Once he's dead you move on. Also, get behind the Draugir. Wait for him to do a shield charge and then hit him from the back. I'm assuming you're on the battle at the first part of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r222_8d0br4

Spoiler but it may make you more relieved. It's not really a big plot thing

You turn back into Geralt eventually and get your abilities back

30 seconds wow i think i'm going to end my existence

well not really but you get the idea

brb try this

edit no it's not that simple

when you hit them, they block it. when you block, you can't block all 4 enemies at once. when you move around, they catch up to you anyway. they can also do 3 slashes at once. if you dodge you get caught up, if you block you lose half your health

there's NO way to actually beat this

edit: wow after like 10 more attemps (i should be at 40 total), NOTHING HAS CHANGED LOL

BLOCKING IS BAD, since whenever you block you have 1 second of delay before you can move again

it's so sad

i'm asking for a console command that would help me get past this ridiculously stupid mission. i'm playing this shit on dark and too bad for me or something

Last edited:
after a few more attemps, this mission remains as impossible as ever

edit: haha this mission makes me irrationally angry.

Last edited:
this mission is such a fucking joke on dark i'm not even kidding

i must easily be in the 60s in the number of attempts now. this is fucking stupid and a waste of time, i want to play the real game

my record now is killing 3 enemy wraiths

this is stupid it's not even funny. you can block and avoid damage but as soon as the wraith staggers, the enemies can just all hit once and kill you. you can't move around either because of the stupid fire that kills fucking dead

i absolutely hate this mission it completely ruins the game for me. everything else in the game, including letho and kayran, was a fucking joke compared to this mission

fuck this

Last edited:
which one is riposte ? in the swordsman tree? i think i have that one, you can basically counter-attack while blocking, no? but then the wraith rolls forward when you do that and you're surrounded. i guess you're not supposed to riposte when too many enemies are still alive or smt

i always play games on maximum difficulty (well couldn't do the real max difficulty where you aren't allowed to die), that's the best way to play the game. there's 0 satisfaction beating a game on easy or normal when the real deal is the hardest difficulty

don't get me wrong btw, all those posts i made in this thread were right after doing 10-20 failed attempts with little to no progress. as a game. the witcher 2 is probably one of my favorite games ever. this is a real damn game: the story is engaging, the game play is fun, the game is challenging and the universe / immersion is top-notch. as soon as I finish this game i'll probably head over to witcher 1 and when witcher 3 comes out i'll be playing that. unlike silly games like far cry 3, which is a respectable game in some ways (graphics, excellent villain, fun game) yet terrible in other ways (story = über lol, the game itself is also too easy). other game studios need to take a leaf out of CD projekt red's book and make damn good games instead of releasing half assed games.

i can say all these nice things by the way because i haven't played that impossible mission for a few hours. that mission man, i will sell my soul to dethmold if he wants it so that i can skip that damn mission and continue with the rest of the damn story

this mission is such a fucking joke on dark i'm not even kidding

i must easily be in the 60s in the number of attempts now. this is fucking stupid and a waste of time, i want to play the real game

my record now is killing 3 enemy wraiths

this is stupid it's not even funny. you can block and avoid damage but as soon as the wraith staggers, the enemies can just all hit once and kill you. you can't move around either because of the stupid fire that kills fucking dead

i absolutely hate this mission it completely ruins the game for me. everything else in the game, including letho and kayran, was a fucking joke compared to this mission

fuck this

Lol. I'm sorry, not mocking you. I feel your rage. I agree the first part of the mission is not the height of game design, but it can be beat. As Seltkirk, try to lure the attacking soldiers your way in small numbers. When they first run at you, run back as far as you can, then use block and riposte very judiciously ( if you don't have riposte this will be a lot harder). Just rinse and repeat until you're Geralt again. In the Draugir section, try to get him in the back and roll out of the way. Never try and block his attacks. Learn the pattern of his whirlwind attack and get the hell out of there. You can beat this level with the crappiest of builds. Just be patient. Here's a vid:

Edit - If you're on PC you can also upload a save and someone will beat it for you.

Last edited:
thanks for that (it's the same video that doctjj linked i think).

i think i will load an earlier save and then re-arrange my tech tree until i get riposte, enjoy the game a bit while doing so (maybe get oathbreaker outfit for fun). once i've got my new skill tree up, i'll go back to the mist

thank you everyone for the helpful responses, i need to finish the game soon so as to post around these boards more (can't do that right now because spoilers and stuff, heh).

Edit: omg mfw i actually beat that damned banner dude. indeed, riposte and blocking is what's needed, but it requires a LOT of timing, unlike when you're with geralt where you can roll around to buy yourself time. so hard, wow

but i'm past it and enjoying the rest of witcher 2. big thanks to everyone in this thread!

e: so for the record the banner dude took at least 80 attempts for me to beat, draugr was under 10. ^^

Last edited:
Hi, this is 2020. Played Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 at max diff, most actions at first try. This fight is so insanely poorly made it makes me wonna stop playing. No other part of the games till now is evenly closely as difficult as this. No matter the build i die. I can parry all i want, response is not working i just get trashed as i attack back or pushed while parry in the fire wall. You can say what you want developers failed shamenly hard, ruining the game experience.

Top Bottom