Delete and re-install helping to improve performance?

+
Delete and re-install helping to improve performance?

Anybody tried to delete and re-install the game on Xbox1. Patching directly from 1.01 to 1.11? Seems this improve performance and makes the game looks better as If each patch was installed until 1.11. Anybody can verify this?

Last edited:
Simply.... No,
You want to improve performance for TW3 on Xbox one? just sell it and buy a PS4, as sad as that! Sorry, CDPR don't seems to give a fuck about Xbox One, 3 months and still the game is worse than it never had been on this support...
Great patches and great improvment CDPR!! Congrats, you really are the dev of the year!
/s

Anybody tried to delete and re-install the game on Xbox1. Patching directly from 1.01 to 1.11? Seems this improve performance and makes the game looks better as If each patch was installed until 1.11. Anybody can verify this?

Yes I believe deleting the game, deleting your game saves from the console (so they are still backed up in the cloud) and then hard resetting the xbox. Then reinstalling the game from scratch in this order: install disc, then install the update (will be all patches) then install all the DLCs.

Once it's all installed then hard reset the xbox again then fire up the game and it will then re sync your game (re downloads your saves from the cloud onto the console).

Doing this in the last couple of patches has help performance wise for me. Many of the bugs everyone is complaint about such as picking up the pick axe in the runewright quest, open sesame and the wild rose dethroned achievement I had no problems with at all. Worked perfectly for me with 1.10 and 1.11

Also performance around novigrad is ok, not as smooth as 1.08 but not unplayable as some would have you believe.

1.12 has made some of the transitioning in cutscenes better (ie less artifacts) but there are still a 2 lighting bugs in particular I am reporting to CDPR later today.

All in all 1.12 is alot more successful than 1.10 and CDPR should be commended for make sure this one was more successful.
(Before anyone starts, Novigrad in my experience hasn't got any worse since 1.12 though I agree that it's worse after 1.08 )

Last edited:
Yes I believe deleting the game, deleting your game saves from the console (so they are still backed up in the cloud) and then hard resetting the xbox. Then reinstalling the game from scratch in this order: install disc, then install the update (will be all patches) then install all the DLCs.

Once it's all installed then hard reset the xbox again then fire up the game and it will then re sync your game (re downloads your saves from the cloud onto the console).

Thank you @Nadimul I will try to do your steps and check if there is any improvement. Are you getting the blurry screen after you finish a conversation with a NPC?

Thank you @Nadimul I will try to do your steps and check if there is any improvement. Are you getting the blurry screen after you finish a conversation with a NPC?

Yes I still get that blurry screen after conversations for a few seconds but it's only the background and I prefer that to the whole screen stopping and pausing and being completely blurry in Novigrad like it used to every few steps. Now I don't get the pauses when running around just a bit blurry when exiting a conversation (but you can still move anyway so it's still better than the old blurry pauses).

I think sometimes when the patches come out they sometimes get corrupted or don't update scripts properly as it's adding code onto old code. I believe reinstalling everything and downloading the patch in one go from 1.0 to 1.12 avoids the risk of this as there's not as much chance for things to go wrong.
For all the people having bugs and problems on xbox one, I do feel bad for you, but I can assure you I have never had any of the notorious game breaking bugs that lots of others have described (skelliges most wanted I didn't do until after the patch was released to fix it, but everything worked fine.

If your having bugs and problems on xbox one I definitely recommend deleting everything including saves and dlc and reinstalling from scratch like I described above. It will take a couple of hours probably but worth a try I think. I can't guarantee it will work in all cases but it worked for me.

I also have the witcher 3 saved into my external hard drive which also improves performance (loads faster and I notice less pop in).

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
@Nadimul

Did just that with pretty much every patch. All it helped with was less blurry screens when running around Novigraad when it was a significant problem. As for saying that it will help increase performance... That's not the case. It'll stay the same with both 1.10 and 1.12, tested.

You might think the performance is better, but I doubt it's anything more than a placebo effect. Also saying that

Also performance around novigrad is ok, not as smooth as 1.08 but not unplayable as some would have you believe.

I don't even know how to react to that. First, the performance there is not ok. When a developer fails to deliver a near 30 fps for a machine that only has one distinct configutration software and hardware wise... Well, that's just not acceptable. Even more so when they did manage to make near perfect 30 and made it much worse afterwards. Sustained dips as low as 18 are not ok in anyone's books.

Last edited:
@Nadimul

Did just that with pretty much every patch. All it helped with was less blurry screens when running around Novigraad when it was a significant problem. As for saying that it will help increase performance... That's not the case. It'll stay the same with both 1.10 and 1.12, tested.

You might think the performance is better, but I doubt it's anything more than a placebo effect. Also saying that

I don't even know how to react to that. First, the performance there is not ok. When a developer fails to deliver a near 30 fps for a machine that only has one distinct configutration software and hardware wise... Well, that's just not acceptable. Even more so when they did manage to make near perfect 30 and made it much worse afterwards. Sustained dips as low as 18 are not ok in anyone's books.

Mate, I agree with you that Novigrad performance is worse now than v1.08. But in MY experience on MY xbox one i am not getting such lower framerate as what your saying, or at least it is not as noticeable problem for me as it is for you perhaps. i agree that it should be locked at 30 especially as it was before with 1.08 but from what i am seeing on my xbox it isnt as low as 18fps anywhere.

I dont have a FPS counter like digital foundry but in my opinion to my untrained eye, I notice that the fps is less than with 1.08 but for me, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game and is not so noticeable to me. I would say it looks like 25fps for me, not quite as good as it was, but still definitely smooth enough to be playable.

regarding the better performance, I can only say what I have experienced on my console, when 1.10 was release i ha bad problems with novigrad and oxenfurt having blurry pausing and many other graphical issues, i have had clear improvements in my game when i deleted everything and reinstalled. also all the bugs people have been having i have not had except the soldier statuette quest.

I may be getting slightly better performance from using an external hard drive, which i believe runs faster than the standard internal hard drive.

i am not doubting you and many other people have had problems, but i am saying in my experience my performance has been ok, not perfect, but not as bad as people are posting, and that could be due to difference of opinion.

I tell you what ill take some quick videos later tonight of a run around Novigrad and you can let me know if they are the same as what you see or better or worse.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
No need to write such a lengthy sheet in response to what I have written earlier. I did that just because you said that "some people would have you to believe". No one tries to have someone to believe anything, they're just stating their own experiences on how the game runs on their xbox's. Just like you did in your latest post :)

I tell you what ill take some quick videos later tonight of a run around Novigrad and you can let me know if they are the same as what you see or better or worse.

That would be great. I'll sure take a look at that if you do that :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry about my poor choice of words about that, what I should have put is that I am not experiencing the problems as badly as other people are in my opinion.

Glad to clear it up with you :)

Without evidence none of us can say what anyone else is right or wrong so when I get home tonight I'll record some clips from Novigrad, around hierarchy square and the fish market and we can see.

It should be interesting to see

Yes Nadimul, that's exactly one of the spot where dips appears, just run from market to hierarch and you'll experience an awful 20/25fps where we had a 30fps locked 3 months ago... I repeat, for me that's not an improvment in performance (as stipuled in patch notes) but a massive downgrade, and we have evidence, Digital Foundry, gamersyde and NXgamer, they all measured framerate with a frame counter for 1.08 and 1.10-1.12, the donwgrade is between 5/10fps, depends on area, when we compare with 30fps, 5/10fps less is massive and really noticeable! :)

Has anybody done this found that it has fixed the Wolf School Gear bug? whereby the diagrams are un-lootable. Thanks.

Also I just clicked the "uninstall all" option on xbox one, so it uninstalled the game and dlc's but now there is no option to remove the save files from the console. Does this mean the save files are automatically uninstalled with the game and are now backed up in the cloud? Or if I wanted to remove the save files from the console do I have to reinstall it then uninstall it again, but delete the files before I click "uninstall all"?
thanks

Last edited:
"Uninstall all" deletes your saved files from the console.

When you boot the game up, it will download, or sync, your save files back to your console via the cloud (XB1 automatically backs up your newest save files to the cloud across all games and apps)

Why bother reinstalling it? It doesn't fix nothing :) Tested.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you - I tested it too - deleted the game, DLCs and saves and downloaded/installed everything back slowly...it didn't fix the bugs I have in a few quests and the performance is still poor in Novigrad especially :cry:

Top Bottom