Delete this thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not totally agree :(
I think that's cool, because those who want to play with a "standard" V can do that and those who want to customize their V can too.
In addition, you only have to consult the "Share your V" thread. A lot of players have their preferences (me, my Vs are all a bit alike), but all players have really differents V. That's pretty cool, I love it :)
I don't see how it would change much not being able to customize our V. V remains V, regardless of his eyes, teeth, nose or whatever.
But that's only my opinion.

And for ME, I don't know why, but I always choose predefined Shepard (fem). But in Cyberpunk is it's the opposite :)

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Character creator is already limited as it is. Some options that are standard to most games' CC are missing: eyes/nose/chin/jaw size, eye separation, nasal bridge, cheekbones, etc... Things that most people screw up when creating their characters. In Cyberpunk, you really need to try to make an ugly V.

I've basically read the sentence "character creation should be cut", and I was like: NOPE.

Its one of the things that makes me get only more intrinsic with the character I created for V. I'm normally also less a fan of an 'established' sort of character.
And CP77 works just fine also with the character creation in the game.
The narrative is not deminished by that.

Last edited:
The character of Johnny Silverhand serves multiple purposes, one that is-as a co-protagonist.
V is basically you, like a typical Bethesda game protagonist, a semi-blank slate, little backstory, customisable-both physically and character wise.

On the other hand Johnny is a 'concrete' protagonist. Fully developed background, solid character, etc.
Now since Johnny is only a co-protagonist, you can only mold him to a certain degree (by doing a few quests/managing your relationship him with him) unlike Geralt, whose character can differ to a much larger extent depending upon your choices.

So basically the game has the best of both worlds.

I would rather play as a character that I have created rather than a predefined protagonist. For me it makes it more personal and far more memorable, especially in Cyberpunk. On the surface sure it serves little to no purpose without a third person perspective or cut scenes or open world reflections but still feels more unique. I for one would have been far more disappointed if I had to play as a predefined V. Only my opinion though. I would have liked If we could have selected pre written backstories to make it even more unique. I think the character creation is a good move.

Pufty

Forum regular
Since the promise was an RPG, customizing your character is a no-brainer. The options CAN be very silly as it is now (clicking random is a mistake), but they CAN have very good options. Create your own standard V, someone else can create a clown. I could agree to some extent a clown-face V isn't very believable when the voice actor has this very mean voice (works in that universe, works in your position as a player), but otherwise I'd rather not see customization be stripped away... because that would be the final nail in the coffin for Cyberpunk NOT being an RPG.

This customization mechanic has potential to be expanded on. This aspect could be saved in a two-prong attack - First implement appearance changing after initial creation and second - Just expand the amount of options you have for hairstyles, eyes, beards, noses... dongs? :ok:

I totally agree.

In the context of a narrative-driven adventure game, a customizable protagonist makes little sense, even less so considering we can't see our own character most of the time. Cyberpunk is less about role-play and more about picking the route you want to explore in the story. The game has a story to tell, and you're along for the ride.

Character customization makes sense in an RPG where the player gets more latitude in defining their, well, role in the story. Here, things are too on the rails for that to make sense. People are constantly rebutting criticisms of player choice in the game with a reminder that "V is a merc." Likewise, the dubiously-named "life paths" are similarly excused as simply being brief introductions to the main prologue, offering some light background and nothing more.

With that in mind, full appearance customization appears to serve little purpose in Cyberpunk. While no doubt customization is enjoyable, and gives players an opportunity for creativity, it's hard to argue this capability does anything to enrich the fundamental core of the game. Just as this game isn't the next GTA, it also isn't a sandbox for playing dress-up.

I totally agree.

In the context of a narrative-driven adventure game, a customizable protagonist makes little sense, even less so considering we can't see our own character most of the time. Cyberpunk is less about role-play and more about picking the route you want to explore in the story. The game has a story to tell, and you're along for the ride.

Character customization makes sense in an RPG where the player gets more latitude in defining their, well, role in the story. Here, things are too on the rails for that to make sense. People are constantly rebutting criticisms of player choice in the game with a reminder that "V is a merc." Likewise, the dubiously-named "life paths" are similarly excused as simply being brief introductions to the main prologue, offering some light background and nothing more.

With that in mind, full appearance customization appears to serve little purpose in Cyberpunk. While no doubt customization is enjoyable, and gives players an opportunity for creativity, it's hard to argue this capability does anything to enrich the fundamental core of the game. Just as this game isn't the next GTA, it also isn't a sandbox for playing dress-up.
I disagree, character customization enhances the connection a player may establish with the protagonist when its one of their own creation. And while not every player may get that same connection out of that, its still present for those who do.

Last edited:
It is a single player game, what I do in my game has zero impact on anyone else or the RPG element.

Geralt was a character with an ongoing story, "V" has no ongoing story, and unless CDPR miraculously find a "cure" V will not be in another game.

It makes no sense to limit what a player can do creatively in a game to their character. Having more choices will sell more copies.

Disagree.
Coming from a pen & paper background (which CP2077 is adapted from) Character creation is one of the most important aspects of roleplaying. A personalized avatar allows the player to become more invested in their character and benefits/encourages roleplaying.

I do agree that vanilla V is terribly bland/generic though.

"CHARACTER CREATION SHOULD'VE BEEN CUT/SHOULD BE CUT IN CYBERPUNK 2077"
No. Personally I like the choice a character creator gives you, especially in a RPG. If a RPG forces you to play as a pre-made character, I'm far less likely to buy it - especially if there isn't even a choice between male/female. A pre-made character removes the personalisation of creating a character to resemble yourself.

That said... it does seem a bit pointless having a CC when you never get to see you character in-game because it's first person. In the case of CP77, you only see you character in a couple of video sequences, the mirror (which is blurry as hell), the inventory and photo mode.

They really should have, at the very least, had third person as an switchable option in the game.

I disagree, character customization enhances the connection a player may establish with the protagonist when its one of their own creation. And while not every player may get that same connection out of that, its still present for those who do.
How? Your character's appearance doesn't have any influence on gameplay or the narrative. You don't even see yourself most of the time. Getting attached to a character the player creates is pointless when the end result will just be crammed into the mold imposed by the rails of the narrative.

It's the job of that narrative to create a connection between protagonist and player, not a superfluous choose your own dong simulator.

How? Your character's appearance doesn't have any influence on gameplay or the narrative. You don't even see yourself most of the time. Getting attached to a character the player creates is pointless when the end result will just be crammed into the mold imposed by the rails of the narrative.

It's the job of that narrative to create a connection between protagonist and player, not a superfluous choose your own dong simulator.
Even though I rarely see my V,
I still want to choose the head of my V, if she will have tattoos, piercing, no cyberwares or maybe even a big nose...
I still want to choose her clothes and not look like a garbage bag...

Character creation helps players connect more with their Vs, having Geralt def made some people feel a bit disconnected from the story and the game overall ( especially if you're not Male/White/Straight etc... )
I def want my V to look the way i envision her.

He was cruel, direct, and extremely anti-social in some instances.
Panam will fall in love with the guy on the right and Judy will fall in love with the chick on the right, and it's how the industry will view these two characters.
Oh, wow, these are pretty good points. I haven't thought about it from such a perspective too much :)

About the customization, I would have loved to see more lifepath stories.
Basically, at the beginning of the game, V stops being who he/she had been for the entire life and so suddenly becomes a neutral merc, leaving any signs of his/her past completely behind and blank.

Basically, at the beginning of the game, V stops being who he/she had been for the entire life and so suddenly becomes a neutral merc, leaving any signs of his/her past completely behind and blank.
For me, I take V's lifepath exactly the same way as "Shepard history" in ME (Spacer, Earthborn or Colonist). It doesn't change your gameplay in the game, it's just a little background.
It's simply more develloped in Cyberpunk and a little bit better (even much better) :)

Because its a character with asthetics to my design, as opposed to a character that looks like xyz, because thats how it was chosen to be.
Your character's appearance doesn't have any influence on gameplay or the narrative.
This is neither a pro nor a con. If it doesnt mean anything for gameplay and narrative by itself, then having or not having a char creator also makes no difference. Btw, it still does have significance to me because I get to look at what I prefer, wether that is often or rarely is besides the point.
You don't even see yourself most of the time. Getting attached to a character the player creates is pointless ...
Pointless to you, not to everyone.
when the end result will just be crammed into the mold imposed by the rails of the narrative.

It's the job of that narrative to create a connection between protagonist and player
I agree with this bit, I also said specifically it enhances it.
not a superfluous choose your own dong simulator.
The fact you also choose the one bodypart thats memable, still doesnt mean its objectively not so.

Again, you may find it pointless, and thats ok. Like I said previously not everyone feels the same way about that. But please do not state it as if a fact, because its inherently a subjective thing.

Last edited:
In my favourite ending I wait to see the look on my V's face, my V, not some premade character I don't connect to.

v-5-1.jpg

It made my connection to V stronger and made the game much more memorable.

and I don't know what Panam sees in them, but I don't see her touching them with a ten mile pole.
I am going to get crap for this but oh well :D here we go; I dont get what (male)V and you guys see in Panam.

I disagree with character creation being pointless btw. It creates a connection between myself and the character I created. The game being first person doesnt change that. In fact, a third person playing style(especially forced), where I do see the character makes me less connected to that character. I also feel less connected when I cant choose their appearance. The goal is to make your story(the game you play) and V's story fall together and the character creation helps do that.
In fact, if you dont care about aesthetics even when you are in first person 'because it doesnt matter anyways' you are saying that you are already less connected to the character.

The problem isnt the character creation is useless because of the story or the way it plays out. Its because the developers cut a large percentage of player agency. The game was originally supposed to have 3 story branches and then they cut it to one with just Johnny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom