Jobs Support Register

Demotivate Forfeiting Games

+

151Huntsman

Junior Member
#1
Demotivate Forfeiting Games

To CDPR: If a player forfeits, he should forfeit XP, round wins rewards, this would demotivate stupid forfeits. But mainly this is a suggestion to the community rather than CDPR. Please stop forfeiting just before the game ends. I understand forfeiting if you have a very bad hand or made a huge mistake or the opponent is taking a lot of time on purpose. But if its just a couple of cards (1-3) until the end, then just let the opponent win and dont ruin the game for the other person. It is unsportsmanlike, rude and just inconsiderate. The game will last a couple more minutes, learn to take it as a man and lose with some dignity. Then GG your opponent, and you will get some gold/scraps in return, and everyone will be happy.

Best regards.
 

thirdeye50

Junior Member
#2
I agree with you except the GG part there are more reasons not to GG these days and most don't deserve it IMHO, but the forfeiting on the last card is frustrating and unsportsmanlike and childish, there have been other debates about this and people say it's for saving time but that just sounds like an excuse to me if 30-60 seconds makes that much difference maybe they should learn to manage there time better or just own there childish behavior.
 

Draconifors

Moderator
#3
151Huntsman;n10851211 said:
It is unsportsmanlike, rude and just inconsiderate.
The topic has been discussed before, and this particular statement is what many players disagreed with.

Denying rewards for forfeited games would not be a good idea, in my opinion.
Why would I need to be "forced" to play out a game I've no hope of winning or even tying? The opponent is going to win anyway, so might as well forfeit and move on to the next match. They played better/had better cards/were favoured by RNG; I really don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that by forfeiting.

And yes, the same goes for when my opponent forfeits. I've never taken it to be anything more than salty at the most. I wouldn't want them to be denied rewards for doing it.
 

jgolden234

Junior Member
#4
I don't deny a gg for someone who forefeits, however, I also agree it is very rude and unsportsmanlike. I can understand the perspective that you don't want to to play to lose, but just pass and the game will end. I think forefeiting seems extra awful cause the game just abruptly ends, next screen, done. It very much feels like a temper tantrum to me.
 

ChaosPhantom819

Junior Member
#5
I thought people just forfeited to end the game faster so we can get on to the next game quicker. Sometimes people play or their last couple of cards even if you pass early.
 

Void_Singer

Junior Member
#6
Exact opposite opinion here. If you can't win, and you know you can't win, continuing to play out your deck is just wasting everyone's time. please do pass immediately *(or if you're in ranked go ahead and forfeit). There is nothing "unsportsmanlike" about conceding a game... it's built into most games for a reason: impossible conditions are not fun for the people in them and not competitive for their opponents.

if your opponent passes while losing in R3, for heavens' sake don't continue playing every card you have... take the win you were given and just pass to end it. You won, there's no need to waste everyone's time, trying to show off just how awesome your deck is... you already did that by winning.

*the reason to pass instead of forfeiting outside of ranked is actually for your own benefit... some opponents (like myself) will actually throw a game they're winning to take pity on you (I do this for players at half my rank, or that I've matched with more than once and totally demolished). if you forfeit instead of pass you take the option off the table. although you should feel free to forfeit out if they do the second thing I mentioned above
 

OG.laloquaint

Junior Member
#7
So I play a whole game of Gwent and I forfeit at our last cards because I know I can't win. I shouldn't receive anything because of that? That's just dumb, sorry.
 

psysteel

Junior Member
#8
151Huntsman;n10851211 said:
and dont ruin the game for the other person
How exactly will you ruin a game for your opponent when you make a forfeit?
The only disadvantage here is for you. Because when you forfeit, your opponent, sometimes, does not have a GG button.
I really don't see a point you are trying to make.
If only you are one of those players who play all the cards they have, even if they already won.
That, my friend, is a perfect way to not get a GG from your opponent.
 

Jeydra

Junior Member
#9
I don't see how forfeiting is unsportsmanlike. Instead forcing them to play when the game is clearly over is a bad design (a cardinal rule of game design is that if the game is clearly over, it should end quickly as well). True, the forfeiting player can also just pass, but why not just forfeit and save both players some time. Accordingly I strongly oppose this change.

If anything CDPR should remove playing cards when the game's already won, e.g. opponent passes round 3 and I'm ahead in points, I shouldn't be able to empty my hand, which both 1) rubs it in and 2) wastes both players' time.
 

South8

User
#10
The game is based on passes - the round is over when both opponents pass. So why wouldn't somebody, who can see they cannot win, just simply pass? Why forfeit and interrupt the game? I always pass, never forfeit, even if I have a couple of cards in my hand, just because the game finishes cleanly. Let me give you an analogy of how it feels: when you pass it's like in chess when you lay down your king. Then you shake hands and the game is over. When you forfeit, it feels like you just stood up and walked away to another game. That's why it feels rude. I especially think that about people who forfeit after I played my last card and all that's left is for the autopass to finish the game... You can't even wait like 3 seconds?

There is a core mechanism of giving up - pass - so I really don't see the point of forfeiting. I only ever forfeit when I see a broken or abusive play (Brouver-Yaevinn redcoin abuse or pimped up Sabbath, to which I have no reply) to signal my opponent that there will be no tolerance for such games and that I have no respect for players using such cheap tricks.

I do agree it's tiresome to see your opponent play out all of their cards when you pass instead of forfeit. But those are also bad manners. I think that in general we should all learn a bit of patience and use passes in a common sense - as a way to finish the game, even if early. And be polite to each other, if for no other reason, just to show some respect to the opponent and for the game that was played.
 

151Huntsman

Junior Member
#11
thirdeye50;n10851421 said:
I agree with you except the GG part there are more reasons not to GG these days and most don't deserve it IMHO, but the forfeiting on the last card is frustrating and unsportsmanlike and childish, there have been other debates about this and people say it's for saving time but that just sounds like an excuse to me if 30-60 seconds makes that much difference maybe they should learn to manage there time better or just own there childish behavior.
I agree the ''time saving'' argument is bullshit. Dont play video games if time is so scarce for you, go invest your precious time somewhere else.
 

151Huntsman

Junior Member
#12
Muffliato;n10851731 said:
The topic has been discussed before, and this particular statement is what many players disagreed with.

Denying rewards for forfeited games would not be a good idea, in my opinion.
Why would I need to be "forced" to play out a game I've no hope of winning or even tying? The opponent is going to win anyway, so might as well forfeit and move on to the next match. They played better/had better cards/were favoured by RNG; I really don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that by forfeiting.

And yes, the same goes for when my opponent forfeits. I've never taken it to be anything more than salty at the most. I wouldn't want them to be denied rewards for doing it.
forfeiting a turn or two before game ends ruins the experience for the winner. Ok, you might not be bothered, but others are. That person earned it by playing well and opponent is just salty that he lost. The game is about trying to win, right? And you get satisfaction from winning games. So when opponent forfeits a turn or two before you win its like a premature ejaculation. Yeah, you finished and it might have been satisfying if it wasnt before you actually expected. A bad comparison, but idk how to make people see it.
 

151Huntsman

Junior Member
#13
South8;n10853121 said:
The game is based on passes - the round is over when both opponents pass. So why wouldn't somebody, who can see they cannot win, just simply pass? Why forfeit and interrupt the game? I always pass, never forfeit, even if I have a couple of cards in my hand, just because the game finishes cleanly. Let me give you an analogy of how it feels: when you pass it's like in chess when you lay down your king. Then you shake hands and the game is over. When you forfeit, it feels like you just stood up and walked away to another game. That's why it feels rude. I especially think that about people who forfeit after I played my last card and all that's left is for the autopass to finish the game... You can't even wait like 3 seconds?

There is a core mechanism of giving up - pass - so I really don't see the point of forfeiting. I only ever forfeit when I see a broken or abusive play (Brouver-Yaevinn redcoin abuse or pimped up Sabbath, to which I have no reply) to signal my opponent that there will be no tolerance for such games and that I have no respect for players using such cheap tricks.

I do agree it's tiresome to see your opponent play out all of their cards when you pass instead of forfeit. But those are also bad manners. I think that in general we should all learn a bit of patience and use passes in a common sense - as a way to finish the game, even if early. And be polite to each other, if for no other reason, just to show some respect to the opponent and for the game that was played.
100% true and I agree with every word. Others dont get it unfortunately.
 

SoSaHer

Junior Member
#14
I think it also depends on what level you play.

If you play ranked below level 18 I think it`s good sportmanship to pass the round, then forfeit, so the other player gets his/her dailies.

But above 18 where everybody allready got full collection, I feel it`s better to save everybodies time and forfeit when you/opponennt know it`s a lost game. That will save everybody time.
 

WildFeo

Junior Member
#15
South8;n10853121 said:
The game is based on passes - the round is over when both opponents pass. So why wouldn't somebody, who can see they cannot win, just simply pass? Why forfeit and interrupt the game? I always pass, never forfeit, even if I have a couple of cards in my hand, just because the game finishes cleanly. Let me give you an analogy of how it feels: when you pass it's like in chess when you lay down your king. Then you shake hands and the game is over. When you forfeit, it feels like you just stood up and walked away to another game. That's why it feels rude. I especially think that about people who forfeit after I played my last card and all that's left is for the autopass to finish the game... You can't even wait like 3 seconds?

There is a core mechanism of giving up - pass - so I really don't see the point of forfeiting. I only ever forfeit when I see a broken or abusive play (Brouver-Yaevinn redcoin abuse or pimped up Sabbath, to which I have no reply) to signal my opponent that there will be no tolerance for such games and that I have no respect for players using such cheap tricks.

I do agree it's tiresome to see your opponent play out all of their cards when you pass instead of forfeit. But those are also bad manners. I think that in general we should all learn a bit of patience and use passes in a common sense - as a way to finish the game, even if early. And be polite to each other, if for no other reason, just to show some respect to the opponent and for the game that was played.

Sorry, but your chess analogy is so arguable. Chess is more about skill. If you lose a chess game, you can't blame someone except yourself, your opponent played better, that's it, no RNG aspects (well, actually there is one, whether you play black or white, but chess tournaments imply several games and you swap sides). It's not like your pawn moves differently, or your opponent gets 2 queens instead of 1 and you get none. So after losing a chess game, I do have only one person to blame - myself. But Gwent, being a card game, has a lot of RNG aspects: bad mulligan, coinflip + spies, deck counters etc.) And if my opponent literally did nothing special and is winning because of luck, why should I stroke his ego by passing and watching 5-6 cards play?
 

jgolden234

Junior Member
#16
I agree with everyone who says playing it your cards once you k ow you have won and your opponent has passed is show boating and rude. But I do think it is a good point that forefeits interruot getting the dailies. Even if I lose a match I usually win one round and get something for it, so still worth playing.

It's unfortunate this is such a polarizing issue. In general I think most people want others to be polite, but if we all have different ideas of what polite is than it is really hard to decide what is "right".
 

partci

Junior Member
#17
And what about punishment for breathing?

This topic, the idea of the whole this thing, is ridiculous.

I want to click Esc+Enter cause I want to spare myself few seconds or even minutes, so I can go to the next game. I can't be less bothered with what the other side is thinking, as I spare them time as well. If you don't like this - I can't help you. Go play something else where such STUPID thing won't bother you ever.
 

1990BW

Junior Member
#18
There are so many scenarios where it's obvious to know you'll lose.
Do I have to be punished even more by watching my opponent finish the game?
That will feel like humiliation and timewaste it doesn't contribute to make Gwent more fun.
 

Khreygond

Junior Member
#19
There is nothing I hate more than watching my opponent empty his hand when I've passed and he is ahead.

For me it's simple. If there are only 2 or 3 cards left and I know I'll lose I pass. If the opponent even clicks on one of their cards, if I see it highlighted, I forfeit and no GG. I did them a favor and ended it quickly, letting them savor the moment of victory in the process and they just spat on that as if I entered the game just to watch them continuously play.

Same when I play against opponents who pass, I pass too as soon as I am ahead. The only 3 ways this rule is void are:

a) they play Greatswords. you never know what will reset to what power and how many points they'll get from longships. It's better to play the last card this way just to be sure
b) there is an unflipped ambush card and I am less than 20 points ahead. Toruviel gives 14 sure but there is Iorveth, Braenn and handbuffing. I've won games 2 - 0 with my Ambush deck simply because opponents thought Toruviel would be 14 and it was more. And I've also lost a ranked game for that reason when I passed early.
c) any other effect that might trigger on turn end or as I pass that might change the game (like Miruna/Villen). This mostly applies in the case that they've played their last card

On the contrary if there are a ton of cards to play, I am really saving everyone's time by forfeiting. What if he decides he wants to play those 8 cards when I've passed? better to just forfeit early. Plus there are matches that I simply don't want to play. What's the point of playing against Nekker Spam with a deck that I know has no counter? Or axemen? or against Mill with a hyperthinning deck? If I choose to pass I have to do so for both rounds, taking considerably longer.
 
Last edited:

TheEpicWhale

Junior Member
#20
Altough i hardly ever do it on the last card i do forfeit al lot and mostly as soon as:

-My opponent plays a deck i see as boring.
-I see i can no longer win the game.
-Slow opponent.

I really love the option of forfeit, for the simple reason that i am a fast player.
No necessarily the best, but i think my turn average is under 10 seconds most games (probably lower even)
I doubt you can understand how tedious it is for me to play vs slow players.
So no, if i say i forfeit for speed I am serious.
If they would give me a penalty for forfeiting then i quit the game. simple as that really.

I must admit though, that sometimes i play out my hand even though my opponent has passed.
Not to be a dick, but i do test loads of different decks, so sometimes i need to work out what a certain combo can trigger.
Dont underestimate how difficult decktesting is, because there is almost 0 difference between casual and ranked.
 
Last edited: