Despite my 42 years, still proud to be a member from Cyberpunk movement

+

Niatka

Forum regular
From update 1.06 (I keep silent the case of 12*10*2020), the game world immediately immersed me in this game that I played during my studies in Japan; Cyberpunk 2020. a kind of wargame, in fact a card RPG.
When I found The Rache Bartmoss in a fridge somewhere in the dump; I said out loud; "Wow, The 'Moss!".
I am starting again this game for the 4th time, despite all the trophies I got, all the map travelled. Why? the disappointed and the skeptical ask me the question,
; because with CP-2077 I go back years ago. Ultimate paradox; 2077, I am thinking of the 90s. Although; Johnny is still stuck in the early 2020s in 2077.

notice; Mike Pondsmith has a great visual similarity to Dexter DeShawn.

no one needs to pay me, I'm way too rebellious for that. years ago, there was a current, a kind of fashion without being one, in Japan and elsewhere; Cyberpunk. apparently, who remembers it now? who knows...

I used to play the pen and paper RPG version in my teens, and I'm the same age. I think however, loving the aesthetic of Cyberpunk is why a lot of us came along for the, ehem, ride.. Love that aesthetic myself, a game to encompass what I was promised, not at all. However, digging through the game after the first few awesome hours to find the little nuggets remaining beyond, just the aesthetic are the only reason I'm super modding fixes into the game and slogging through.

I remember a lot, though, even after the pen and paper games of my teens with films like Ghost In the Shell. It's a very powerful theme for story. I wish more often was done with it, and well.

no one needs to pay me, I'm way too rebellious for that. years ago, there was a current, a kind of fashion without being one, in Japan and elsewhere; Cyberpunk. apparently, who remembers it now? who knows...
I believe, BabaBooey88 question is proper. We probably have a translation issue here. I believe, what you meant - is not "Cyberpunk movement", but instead, "Cyberpunk subculture".

You see, "movement" usually means large number of people who aim to change some big things in real life. "Movements" typically have specific demands, leaders, and goals to achieve.

"Cultures" and "subcultures" - may or may not have demands, leaders, goals. Many don't.

exxxed

Forum veteran
Unfortunately, love it, or hate it.

There's no videogame out there at the moment offering what Cyberpunk 2077 is offering, I want more.

I'm so sick of medieval high fantasy or realism based open world RPGs.

Even with it's flaws I can't help but love the game and appreciate the passion and hard work behind it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Cyberpunk 2077.

William Gibson said ; "Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk. The Japanese themselves knew it and delighted in it. I remember my first glimpse of Shibuya, when one of the young Tokyo journalists who had taken me there, his face drenched with the light of a thousand media-suns—all that towering, animated crawl of commercial information—said, "You see? You see? It is Blade Runner town." And it was. It so evidently was."

People often ask 'why is the cyberpunk genre so heavily influenced by Japanese culture? Is it because Japan has always been ahead of the times technology-wise, so they would naturally be the pioneers of anything cyberpunk in nature? '

Japanese culture has co-opted fashion and music culture from the 70s into its technologically competent and fascinated society, and the narrative of cyberpunk themes has been one natural evolution. Blade Runner came out in June 1982 and was based on a novel from 1968. Akira was first published in December 1982.

Blade Runner introduced cyberpunk elements that we're familiar with: Film Noir and Artificial Intelligence (in this case, androids or replicants) all elements that have been strongly imbued into western and Japanese art, comics, books and movies. "Burning Chrome" and "Johnny Mnemonic" were the first stories set in Gibson's "sprawl" universe. Bruce Sterling and Gibson and a host of other talented writers created and expanded what we often refer to now as the 'cyberpunk culture' and several paid substantial homage to Japanese influence but in Japan there was convergent evolution of cyberpunk themes which are supported by many Japanese cultural attitudes practices and beliefs.

American and Japanese cyberpunk represent American and Japanese reactions to the early '80s. The similarities and differences are a product of the similarities and differences between the countries at the time. The influence of Film Noir, a 100% American genre, has been huge on cyberpunk. Deckard's wardrobe choice, the use of chiaroscuro (an effect of contrasted light and shadow) in the interview scene with Rachael, Harrison Ford's 'Raymond Chandler PI' style voiceover narration (some loved it some hated it) even the music style in some parts of Blade Runner all shout out to Film Noir, as does Night City, especially in black and white photo mode.

Interestingly, often the first reference to 'cyberpunk' has been credited to a short story by Bruce Bethke in 1980; you can read his thoughts on this at http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/cpunk.htm

So much has been written about how western authors and film makers have trodden similar pathways to Japanese cyberpunk anime and manga. Some other famous cyberpunk anime and manga:

Bubblegum crisis, 1987.
Armitage iii, 1995.
Appleseed (manga), 1985.
Battle Angel Alita, 1990.
Video Girl Ai (manga), 1989.
Cyber City Oedo 808 (ova), 1990
Serial Experiments Lain, 1998

All of them AFTER Gibson's Neuromancer.

If you are interested in the links between cyberpunk culture and the high inclusion of Japanese and Chinese cultural elements, signage and scenes in much of it, you might read this rather unusual WIRED article by George Yang from 2020 which introduces the idea of 'techno-orientalism' and refers specifically to CyberPunk 2077 in much detail, examining the cross cultural influences, prejudices and tropes that occur in the game and in many sci fi and 'cyberpunk' movies.

Orientalism, Cyberpunk 2077, and Yellow Peril in Science Fiction
at https://www.wired.com/story/orientalism-cyberpunk-2077-yellow-peril-science-fiction/

I've definitely had a ton of fun playing cyberpunk. I'm disappointed that some of the things you saw in the preview were taken out. V could chose to have a hero. V might have looked up to the corporate god, morgan blackhand, or Johnny silverhand. Personally, I'd have picked Morgan blackhand. Would have been super cool if you could have seen him. On rare occasions he gets vaguely mentioned.

My favorite aspects of the game are the customization options from creating V to changing his/her clothes. I've had way too much fun punching people into oblivion with my gorilla arms.

Same story, but with the pen & paper rpg. And not in Japan. About same age (43).
Netrunner CCG was remade lately, as Android Netrunner (in a different, more "mainstream" universe), but publication is stoped again now.

notice; Mike Pondsmith has a great visual similarity to Dexter DeShawn.
tbh, it may be him playing the role. The voice isn't him. I'm quite sure he's camoing somewhere in the game.

I believe, BabaBooey88 question is proper. We probably have a translation issue here. I believe, what you meant - is not "Cyberpunk movement", but instead, "Cyberpunk subculture".

Correct,

You see, "movement" usually means large number of people who aim to change some big things in real life. "Movements" typically have specific demands, leaders, and goals to achieve.

"Cultures" and "subcultures" - may or may not have demands, leaders, goals. Many don't.

I am agree.
it's just how I figured it out in my mind. I was in Japan for my studies, that's where I got to know {Cyberpunk}, in this great country. However, in Japan, young friends my age who shared this way of thinking and playing, of dreaming, well , it was like reality.
then, there remains the strong Japanese mentality I love.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

Glad you're enjoying it. I never played the tabletop games, my love of Cyberpunk came from film and TV...Metropolis, Armitage, GITS and Akira. My first introduction to the genre was animation and I've been in love with it and STEAMPUNK ever since. ROCK on Choom!!!!:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Few posts deleted.

Just a reminder - making references or discussing real life political issues is clearly against forum rules. This kind of discussion is limited to the game only.

Cyberpunk has quite a few similarities to the first MMORPG I played, which was Anarchy Online back in 2001 ......I guess also including a generally maligned launch.

As AO was my first love, returning to something even remotely similar means I'll be biased towards it. And wow, I sure do love Night City! The colors, design elements and architecture, the cultural melting pot all really speak to me.

Guest 4375874

Glad to hear you are enjoying Cyberpunk 2077.

William Gibson said ; "Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk. The Japanese themselves knew it and delighted in it. I remember my first glimpse of Shibuya, when one of the young Tokyo journalists who had taken me there, his face drenched with the light of a thousand media-suns—all that towering, animated crawl of commercial information—said, "You see? You see? It is Blade Runner town." And it was. It so evidently was."

People often ask 'why is the cyberpunk genre so heavily influenced by Japanese culture? Is it because Japan has always been ahead of the times technology-wise, so they would naturally be the pioneers of anything cyberpunk in nature? '

Japanese culture has co-opted fashion and music culture from the 70s into its technologically competent and fascinated society, and the narrative of cyberpunk themes has been one natural evolution. Blade Runner came out in June 1982 and was based on a novel from 1968. Akira was first published in December 1982.

Blade Runner introduced cyberpunk elements that we're familiar with: Film Noir and Artificial Intelligence (in this case, androids or replicants) all elements that have been strongly imbued into western and Japanese art, comics, books and movies. "Burning Chrome" and "Johnny Mnemonic" were the first stories set in Gibson's "sprawl" universe. Bruce Sterling and Gibson and a host of other talented writers created and expanded what we often refer to now as the 'cyberpunk culture' and several paid substantial homage to Japanese influence but in Japan there was convergent evolution of cyberpunk themes which are supported by many Japanese cultural attitudes practices and beliefs.

American and Japanese cyberpunk represent American and Japanese reactions to the early '80s. The similarities and differences are a product of the similarities and differences between the countries at the time. The influence of Film Noir, a 100% American genre, has been huge on cyberpunk. Deckard's wardrobe choice, the use of chiaroscuro (an effect of contrasted light and shadow) in the interview scene with Rachael, Harrison Ford's 'Raymond Chandler PI' style voiceover narration (some loved it some hated it) even the music style in some parts of Blade Runner all shout out to Film Noir, as does Night City, especially in black and white photo mode.

Interestingly, often the first reference to 'cyberpunk' has been credited to a short story by Bruce Bethke in 1980; you can read his thoughts on this at http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/cpunk.htm

So much has been written about how western authors and film makers have trodden similar pathways to Japanese cyberpunk anime and manga. Some other famous cyberpunk anime and manga:

Bubblegum crisis, 1987.
Armitage iii, 1995.
Appleseed (manga), 1985.
Battle Angel Alita, 1990.
Video Girl Ai (manga), 1989.
Cyber City Oedo 808 (ova), 1990
Serial Experiments Lain, 1998

All of them AFTER Gibson's Neuromancer.

If you are interested in the links between cyberpunk culture and the high inclusion of Japanese and Chinese cultural elements, signage and scenes in much of it, you might read this rather unusual WIRED article by George Yang from 2020 which introduces the idea of 'techno-orientalism' and refers specifically to CyberPunk 2077 in much detail, examining the cross cultural influences, prejudices and tropes that occur in the game and in many sci fi and 'cyberpunk' movies.

Orientalism, Cyberpunk 2077, and Yellow Peril in Science Fiction
at https://www.wired.com/story/orientalism-cyberpunk-2077-yellow-peril-science-fiction/
I think the genre was around long before that, the Metropolis manga for example was written in the late 40's. I'm sure artists take inspiration from many sources.

Also....serial experiments lain? isn't that a psychological anime?

Top Bottom