Detllaff fight...

+
A checkpoint after the talks before the fight would have been a good idea. Since Dettlaff is able to one shot you with his bat attack, you get to see the events that happen then over and over again. They are quite important and really lose their emotional bearing once you've seen em 10 times.

When the fight between regis and dettlaff begins, the devs give you the opportunity to save your game. Then you walk towards them and there start only 2 sequences to skip everytime after you died.

When the fight between regis and dettlaff begins, the devs give you the opportunity to save your game. Then you walk towards them and there start only 2 sequences to skip everytime after you died.

When I did that I couldn't deal damage to Dettlaff and he couldn't deal damage to me. I had to delete that manual save.

Yeah the last part was the easiest, which should be opposite :D

I hate Bats, that's what I got from that fight, beat him on my 6 or 7 try, damn.

And I was more angry that the two cut-scenes when transforming are unskippable - mad thing what they did there.

Two hours I tried ..

This fight destroys all the fun of the game.

Very disappointed !
I won on the second try, and I consider myself a fairly mediocre player. Just remember to use the Ekhidna Decoction and keep your Quen up, and the fight isn't all that challenging on the second hardest difficulty.

I won on the second try, and I consider myself a fairly mediocre player. Just remember to use the Ekhidna Decoction and keep your Quen up, and the fight isn't all that challenging on the second hardest difficulty.

I was playing on DeathMatch, with an hybrid build (magic/alchemy), Quen always up, but in DM, the bats explode your Quen an health in one hit (10-15% health after the hit) !

Last edited:
isn't all that challenging on the second hardest difficulty.
I was playing on DeathMatch, with an hybrid build (magic/alchemy), Quen always up, but in DM the bats explode your Quen an life in one hit (10-15% health after the hit) !
Yeah, but Ekhidna gets you back to full health so fast, that it's almost cheating. And Dettlaff winds up the bat attack so long that it's really not that hard to dodge in the first place. With alchemy build you could probably even have double decoctions, like Ekhidna and Troll at the same time, and have your health regenerate faster than you can lose it.

Yeah, but Ekhidna gets you back to full health so fast, that it's almost cheating. And Dettlaff winds up the bat attack so long that it's really not that hard to dodge in the first place. With alchemy build you could probably even have double decoctions, like Ekhidna and Troll at the same time, and have your health regenerate faster than you can lose it.

It did not work very well in my case. ;)

though fight on DM but geared up with ma' GM bear armor enchanted with "Balance" from the HoS runewrite and managed using a shitload of potions aaand for the 1st time in this bloody game, I actually made use of decoctions which I found to be useless until this particular fight. Good fight (phase 2 cutscene ought to have been skip-able though) :D

I got him on my third attempt. I switched to the ability to have food continually regenerate & that combined with Super Swallow & White Raffards made it easy as even if the bats did get me my health was back up again within 10 seconds.

Playing on DM NG+ with a red/blue/green griffin hybrid build.

The bat attack it the hardest for sure, you can roll out of the way and take zero damage but there is only a very narrow window to do so. I listened to the sound, when the sound of the bats go silent.. roll to the side. If you want you can also aim with your crossbow, this slows time and it might be easier for some to get the timing right. I just listended to the sound of the bats.

Once you're inside the big heart I only used my sword to engage the smaller hearts around the "room". I took down Dettlaff by rolling and using igni. 3 blasts of igni and he retreated to regenerate, at which time I used whirl on the smaller hearts. Much safer than trying to engage him in direct combat.

iCake

Forum veteran
Defeated him on DM NG on the first try. I was in manticore armor and had an alchemy/combat build with euphoria. When I first saw his bat attack I thought like that was going to be something nasty, so I just quened up whenever he tried to do that, also avoided about 50% of these attacks.

The rest of the fight was a piece of cake. An impressive scenario though. Hats off to CDPR for this.

How to avoid bats in two lessons. Wait for the huge sound. Wait one second and dodge. Works every time. I needed a few try though. But what I don't understand is the third part of the combat. Didn't understood. Was that a metaphor or something? Whi this gigantic heart?

it is very easy if you use the griffin armor and superior tawny owl potion to increase energy regeneration rate, and use quen, que alt quet that exploodes and returns damage to the enemies is specially useful, and alt yrden, the lightning attacking is also useful, then dodge, roll all the time, but be aware of the energy

Dodge the bats before they start flying, not after. I did two rolls to the left just for good measure. Watch a video of someone doing it and you'll pick it up quick.

Last edited:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. This post saved my sanity a few hours ago.

Oh, and the fight itself? Easy*.

*which means "I dropped down to Just the Story after dying 10 times".

Dodge the bats before they start flying, not after. I did tow rolls to the left just for good measure. Watch a video of someone doing it and you'll pick it up quick.

Basically, wait until the bats congregate around Dettlaff, then, when they start swarming out, roll to the side. This should get you out of their trajectory (and the immense damage it deals).

Also, for the first part of the fight, use Aard to push Dettlaff away and break his guard. This should allow you to get two quick hits in, then immediately dodge to the side as he will warp behind you and strike him a third time. Rinse and repeat.

Quen -> Roll/dodge -> hit hit. Repeat

Messed around with this battle abit. I found that even if you get hit by the bats (yes it takes a large chunk of health) if you Quen straight after, when Dettelaf does his fly over attract he breaks your Quen shield, but in the process it rechachrges your health to full because of the strength of his blow.

use potions to replenish energy and to increase energy recharge sped, use quen all the time, it protects from the damage of the bats and roll so they don't hit you, try to kill dettlaff as fast as possible

Top Bottom