Detroit: Become Human

+
Detroit: Become Human

Anyone else see the new trailer for "Detroit: Become Human." Apparently it's Quantic Dream's attempt to reboot the story of Kara who was presented in a tech demo a few years back. Kind of looks like a poor man's Cyberpunk 2077. Might give it a go, but I've never played a game by David Cage. Any thoughts on his previous work?

Except for the CGI trailer I've seen and read nothing about Cyberpunk.

It looks like Deus Ex:HR to me, with crowds barking at robots and "discrimination" issues... And half a dozen movies and tv shows I've seen in the last years. Looks good though, since the trailer is with the game engine. But it's 1. Quantic Dream 2. a console exclusive... Not very promising

Except for the CGI trailer I've seen and read nothing about Cyberpunk.

It looks like Deus Ex:HR to me, with crowds barking at robots and "discrimination" issues... And half a dozen movies and tv shows I've seen in the last years. Looks good though, since the trailer is with the game engine. But it's 1. Quantic Dream 2. a console exclusive... Not very promising

Well, that's because nothing exists for Cyberpunk except the CGI trailer. You know as much as the rest of us.

What's wrong with Quantic Dreams other stuff? I've never played any of their games before.

Forum veteran
Any thoughts on his previous work?
He wants to make movies, so he makes games that are basically movies, but his storytelling ability isn't really there. I've played Omikron, Fahrenheit, and part of Heavy Rain (not enough to really judge it, though), and what stands out from what I've played is that his games are always really atmospheric and great toward the beginning. Then the story becomes contrived, stupid, or just plain boring toward the end, making you wish someone more competent had written it.

He also has a hard-on for QTEs, which should be punishable by death.

I've never played a Quantic Dream game, but from what I know about them I'd compare them to Telltale Games. They basically make interactive novels. Except that in their games you can walk around, and you mainly make choices through QTEs and weird mini-games instead of using dialogue menus. Thematically Become Human may have a lot in common with Deus Ex, but gameplay-wise it will be very, very, different.

---------- Updated at 09:40 PM ----------

I should probably add that Heavy Rain was widely praised because of its approach to consequences for your choices. It was possible to die before you finished the game if you made the wrong choice. There was even a scene where the main character wanted to commit suicide, and if you let him it was game-over.
Beyond Two Souls was criticized for doing the exact opposite. The only decisions in the game that had any affect were the four endings. It was criticized for taking the Telltale approach, where none of your choices mattered and everything was the illusion of choice.

Since you get almost no gameplay in David Cage games and it's again Playstation exclusive, I will just watch a youtube let's play like with Beyond: Two Souls.

Cage is the quintessential 'I'd rather be known as a movie director' dude making games. Never been interested in his work.

I've never really understood exclusives. Wouldn't it behoove the company to develop a port for the PC and XBOX as well? I realize that it costs money, but they would probably recoup it buy opening up their product to a larger audience.

Do companies get kick backs from Sony and Microsoft for signing an exclusivity deal with them?

I just watched beyond two souls on youtube ... and gotta say the story and characters really got me hooked ...

Last edited:
Detroit has one of my favorite scenes in all of gaming.

Post automatically merged:

What's this Detroit: Become Human game about?

Its essentially a choose your own adventure narrative based on ai becoming intelligent and gaining freewill etc.

Top Bottom