Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [PS4/Xbox One/PC]

+
Well there are always good and bad thing's with every Hobby i think!

But sure....the gaming industry sucks a lot nowadays, sadly!

It's even worse because this was the only other game I was interested in this year other than Blood and Wine.

Really forgot how crap this industry really is.

You know, I live by a certain maxim: If something no longer gives you enjoyment, maybe move on to something else.

I don't think so (in general). But I guess you mean legacy publishers? Those today are indeed bad.

I agree with this. There have been a lot of really good games over the last five years, you just can't purchase based solely on a company's or series' prior products. There are a few who haven't let me down yet, but even regarding companies and series I still have faith in, I haven't bought a game before release in over five years.

I'm glad I didn't get this one. Once I read "plot isn't as good as HR" in a couple of reviews it went right off the list of potential future purchases.

I really don't get the point of buying games before release, especially ones made by huge publishers who don't lack funds and don't need you to support their development in advance. It's one thing if you pay in advance for a crowdfunded game, and without your money, the game probably wouldn't be made to begin with. I'm fine with that, and as well realize there are always risks of developers not fully delivering what they promised (or not delivering at all). But games funded by huge publishers? Let them make them first, then wait and see if they are worth buying.

Last edited:
You know, I live by a certain maxim: If something no longer gives you enjoyment, maybe move on to something else.

Yeah I could use a break.

I really don't get the point of buying games before release, especially ones made by huge publishers who don't lack funds and don't need you to support their development in advance. It's one thing if you pay in advance for a crowdfunded game, and without your money, the game probably wouldn't be made to begin with. I'm fine with that, and as well realize there are always risks of developers not fully delivering what they promised (or not delivering at all). But games funded by huge publishers? Let them make them first, then wait and see if they are worth buying.

The last game I pre-ordered was Witcher 3, I bought Mankind Divided yesterday and I still got disappointed, you need to wait at least a week after release to decide on a purchase now.

Bought the game with a 25% discount (even though I was a little cautious because of "meh story" reviews). It's not a "bad" game per se. Pretty fun to play, has decent storylines for now. Definitely not excellent, but with a 25% discount, it was worth the price I'd say. Didn't encounter any bugs yet. It works pretty bad though. As in, I need to cut many options to around High (there is also Very High and Ultra options) on my GTX 970 to obtain smooth frame rates. It doesn't look THAT good to warrant that kind of performance. With its vastness and looks, Witcher 3 is leaps and bounds ahead and it works much better. I believe they have a problem with their culling tech. Otherwise, with that many tall buildings around that obstruct the view distance, the game should be much less demanding.

I'm pretty afraid of the story ending concerns though... I mean, a little lackluster story compared to the previous Deus Ex is a bit of a concern; but holding the actual ending for a DLC is atrocious, if correct. That kind of a move would make me think thrice before buying a game from that company, ever. And in that case I wouldn't buy that "finale DLC" either. I'd just watch the ending...

Edit: Oh, also, convenience microtransactions for a AAA game with $60 price tag? That is just ridiculous... And the inclusion of one-time use convenience items for pre-orders... At least it'll make everyone think a bit more when pre-ordering a digital game in the future, hopefully.

Last edited:
I'm pretty afraid of the story ending concerns though... I mean, a little lackluster story compared to the previous Deus Ex is a bit of a concern; but holding the actual ending for a DLC is atrocious, if correct. That kind of a move would make me think thrice before buying a game from that company, ever. And in that case I wouldn't buy that "finale DLC" either. I'd just watch the ending...

It's Square Enix's stupid way of "episodic gaming" that is ruining their franchises, if they only said that Mankind Divided would be included in that plan then people would not be as frustrated and angry over this, and the MICROTRANSACTIONS for a SINGLEPLAYER game, it made me angry while playing MGSV and it made me angry all the same while not even starting Mankind Divided.

just finished it tonight.

it's not a bad game, imo what was there was smoother to play and less disjointed than the human revolutions story, but it's way too short to warrant a AAA+season pass price tag. all side missions and playing really stealthy and careful and I was done in around 25 hours.

if you like the series it's not a bad buy, but for how short it is it ended up being disappointing in that regard. I was just starting to get really engaged in the story, then credits rolled. considering the dev time on this, I really expected more.

grab it on say the steam christmas sale when more content is actually out. right now it doesn't warrant a full price, there's not enough there.

just finished it tonight.

it's not a bad game, imo what was there was smoother to play and less disjointed than the human revolutions story, but it's way too short to warrant a AAA+season pass price tag. all side missions and playing really stealthy and careful and I was done in around 25 hours.

if you like the series it's not a bad buy, but for how short it is it ended up being disappointing in that regard. I was just starting to get really engaged in the story, then credits rolled. considering the dev time on this, I really expected more.

grab it on say the steam christmas sale when more content is actually out. right now it doesn't warrant a full price, there's not enough there.

But 25 hours is an okay length for a game ? Not every game needs to be a massive 100 hour epic like witcher 3

The game has microtransactions for in-game credits and praxis kits. This is a single player game. 7€ for 10 praxis kits and 10€ for 15000 credits.

I don't know if cheatengine works. I always cheatengine my way out of inventory/money management (I've got enough of it in real life, thank you). And before cheatengine you could use cheatcodes, something nobody uses anymore.

Just imagine one of the game you played with codes, but with buyable extra lives instead. What a revival of arcade games.

edit: and on top of that I learned you can only use the bonus you bought one time. It works for the save you're in, not for further playthroughs and previous saves.

Last edited:
Ok, game finished, and I was disappointed, microtransactions issues apart.

Pros:
- Very good level design
- Good side quests
- Smoother controls than HR, but still issues here and there
- Music
- Really good for players who enjoy exploration and observing the environment

Cons:
- Not as interesting, from an artistic viewpoint, as DE:HR
- Crashes
- Bad optimisation for no apparent reason
- Very long loading times for no reason
- Nothing new if you already beat HR gameplay-wise. If you're like me and play pacifist runs, then you have almost the same amount of options than in HR, except for one or two new powers
- Mediocre story and writing in general for the main quest
- Boring and forgettable characters and events
- Prague doesn't look like Prague enough to me
- Mediocre setting (they basically took everything from real life, and they didn't think of how specific an anti-augs world could be, so the world is full of #AugsLifeMatter, and there are comparisons between jews in 1930s and augs all around, it felt very bad, to the point it felt as bad as the mages/mage hunter issues in DA2 or TW3)

For half the price I wouldn't feel as disappointed as I am. It left me with the same taste Watch_Dogs left in my mouth.

Last edited:
What can I say, I personally loved this game but yeah at the end I was left with a bitter taste. It's not Eidos Montreal fault, rather Squeenix: not counting the sly cutscene after the credits, the game ended as if it was a season finale. It's a good game, but cut.

About story and narration, I do think there is a lot of background fiction, reading all the emails and opening all the secret stashes and ebooks, listening carefully to dialogues you discover (or remembers as a reference to the first Deus Ex, cutscene after credits included) a lot more stuff than you get to see following the main story. That's why I would say while we have a discreet main story on a "visible" level, no really special events, vault cutscene part aside, background and narration are very good in my opinion. It even tells you more about side characters. There is even one single email that convinces you about the identity of a certain mole, and then all pieces come together. Side quests and your surroundings help a lot. Eidos did a terrific job on that.

Gameplay is basically HR 2.0 and that's what I wanted.

I do agree that "Augs World" setting was unlikely because it was think that only "race" and fear of something foreign wasn't just enough since we have to deal with machines. But it's curious noticing that while the world is divided, Jensen brings up and solves questions with augmentantions, the tool people fear. I liked "Prague" for good level design, where every flat or alley hides something unique.

I miss Pritchard and Malik.

So it's a decent game but not as good as Human Revolution? I was kind of expecting that, which is why I haven't bought it yet.

So it's a decent game but not as good as Human Revolution? I was kind of expecting that, which is why I haven't bought it yet.

In terms of gameplay and atmosphere it is even better. In terms of main story however, it is not better, not at all. I was really disappointed in the story.

Top Bottom