Developer Overview Video Update 8.2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this shifts around the meta a bit as I've grown quite bored of Viy and Lippy and 7 NG decks that use the same gold cards.

Gotta say apart from the Novigradian justice nerf the balance Update looks a bit underwhelming and most likely won't change the meta that much.

Kind of sad that Kurt lost his melee lock ability, he was such a nice flexible card with lock and purify.

My comments for the latest Update:

Generally:
Think that most changes do make sense, but I do not appreciate the general lock buff. To my mind lock is very powerful and should cost more.

Neutral
Also changes without the lock changes are great. Especially Xavier´s buff is awesome.

Monster (MO)
Phocca´s Thrive 2 will definitely be a great addition to Thrive strategies. The old ability was almost useless. I fear a bit that this will be too strong as the comparable cards of other decks (Glynnis aep Loernach Assimilate 2, Sir Skewertooth Intimidate 2, Parceval Schuttenbach Harmony 2) cost 7 provisions and are gold cards. Probably I would decrease the power of Phocca to 2.
The Viy/Overhelming Hunger change is ok. Nevertheless, I would prefer a nerf taking adrenaline or devotion into account.

Skellige (SK)
To my mind nerving Lippy is ok. Olaf + Hym will now be a reasonable choice for SK again.

Norther Realms (NR)
Appreciate the archgriffin and pincer maneuver buff. Don´t see why one needs to buff griffin witcher rangers taking into account that griffin witcher swarm is currently a dominant strategy.

Scoiatel (SC)
Both Novigradian Justice and cat witcher nerfmake sense.

Nilfgard (NG)
Like the new bonded effect of Alban Pikeman

Syndicate (SY)
Great buffs especially Salamandra Mage, Madam Luiza and Fallen Rayla. But would expect more focus on underperforming leaders.

Messyr

Forum regular
Gotta say apart from the Novigradian justice nerf the balance Update looks a bit underwhelming and most likely won't change the meta that much.
Remember that the very same thing was said about the NG buffs two months ago. People were very vocal about how a few +1 here and there won't save the faction, and so on.
Look how things turned out :)

I'd say never underestimate small buffs once they start to stack up.

I'm quite happy with the card changes here. What I do miss is the overhaul of SY leaders as well as Artifacts in general.

Well, this patch looks a bit underwhelming. I like that they decided to push locks, the changes to neutral techs are great, FINALY some nerf to Justice, buffs to Tribute SY and self-harm SK look good (can't wait to try some Hym shenanigans).
On the other hand, i think that the nerfs to OH and Viy are not enough and 1p/1prov nerf to Lippy is probably totaly inconsequential. I'm really disappointed that there are no nerfs to NR Witchers deck or NG Kolgrim decks; Gezras and Koshchey should get nerfed as well.

Don´t see why one needs to buff griffin witcher rangers taking into account that griffin witcher swarm is currently a dominant strategy.
I believe this one has to do with the actual low playrate of this card rather than the effectiveness of the deck it is / could be played in.

I believe this one has to do with the actual low playrate of this card rather than the effectiveness of the deck it is / could be played in.

Well I use him in my griffin swarm deck. It´s a nice row punisher and good target for griffin witcher adept.
Maybe one could increase his base power even to 1. If strategy works nice he will still be transformed to griffin witcher adept.

Guest 4375874

What about those who DON'T play Viy? They nerfed OH because they introduced a flawed card mechanic (VIY)? Now the entire archetype gets punished, how is that the logical conclusion they came to. It's Mystic Echo all over again.

Outside of VIY, deathwish already requires more interaction than any other archetype since deathwish units require another unit to consume so the limited interaction argument only applies to VIY, why not address the card that created the issue to begin with. By comparison NG hyper thin is even more uninteractive but no nerf. ST was also untouched which is just as odd given the recent win rates. All in all, very odd decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this patch looks a bit underwhelming. I like that they decided to push locks, the changes to neutral techs are great, FINALY some nerf to Justice, buffs to Tribute SY and self-harm SK look good (can't wait to try some Hym shenanigans).
On the other hand, i think that the nerfs to OH and Viy are not enough and 1p/1prov nerf to Lippy is probably totaly inconsequential. I'm really disappointed that there are no nerfs to NR Witchers deck or NG Kolgrim decks; Gezras and Koshchey should get nerfed as well.

Yeah, gezra and elves untoched seems like they will be above the rest of the decks

DRK3

Forum veteran
Woah, massive boosts to locks, i already used Dorregaray on most of my MO or SK decks because those factions dont have a decent lock, now with a 1pt+1prov buff its even better. Overall i really liked the neutral card changes.

I hate what they did with Viy and OHunger. There was a consensus that a provision nerf wouldnt stop VIy, and what do they do? +2 prov and -1 base power, but worse, they ruin OHunger for other decks like Consume or DW, just F***ing great.
I do love the harpies and blood moon buff, at least we got that.

FFS, they did the same with Lippy, nerfing him instead of Cerys, again killing an interesting card with many possibilities because of one stupid metadeck. These devs dont know what the hell they're doing.

Scoiatael... I must have been missing something, because they were talking about Novigrad Justice change like it was a nerf but what i was seeing was a buff... less provisions, ok now you must have a dwarf before but that isnt a problem with pyrotechnicians, and you still get the 13pt slam and the thinning. Like WTF?

The SY bronze buffs, i dont believe they are enough to make them played, we'll see.

Seems this update should be called the "X(pts) for X(provisions)" update. :shrug:

[...]
Monster (MO)
Phocca´s Thrive 2 will definitely be a great addition to Thrive strategies. The old ability was almost useless. I fear a bit that this will be too strong as the comparable cards of other decks (Glynnis aep Loernach Assimilate 2, Sir Skewertooth Intimidate 2, Parceval Schuttenbach Harmony 2) cost 7 provisions and are gold cards. Probably I would decrease the power of Phocca to 2.
The Viy/Overhelming Hunger change is ok. Nevertheless, I would prefer a nerf taking adrenaline or devotion into account.
[...]
Phooca is limited in how easily it can grow, unlike Glynnis etc (not to mention that Phooca has no armor and thus dies to even the 4p bombs).
Honestly I disagree, brutalising OH as much as they did was definitely the wrong move.
Viy could have just been toned down in terms of how fast it grows, but no, an otherwise perfectly fine leader ability, used by other decks (which are on the lower Tier 2 side at best), had to be vandalized into being non-existent after the patch.

The only good thing about the change to OH are the buff to Crimson Curse and Katakan, too bad that a perfectly fine leader ability was also turned into ****.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom