Developer Patch Overview 7.2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
ofc but the point was it was supposed to be a leader for thrive. a thrive leader exists in fruits and a better one at that, since force is a one time play. if you like it, do your thing, I dont see it getting played a lot :shrug:
I think you're grossly overvaluating how strong Fruits is without Ethereal. It's 11 provisions with no strong finisher and requires consume to be played effectively.

ya1

Forum regular
Here's my quick summary.

There are some nice changes, and you gotta appreciate all the work that went into this. But there are so many terrible changes that at the risk of sounding grouchy I'll focus on those. CDPR Gwent apparently struggles with some management issues. There is evidently not enough self-criticism within the team. Some of the ideas that pass through management are simply scary.

Pincer Maneuver - was Anseis even considered? But that might not even matter because... Shield Wall? Ostry said this might be the strongest ability so why give it to already the strongest faction? I don't see it as "revival of shield archetype" at all. It's just gonna replace Uprising and make NR engines - just about the strongest archetype in the game - unremovable (if that proves better than the Uprising points).

The weakest faction - NG - saw nothing but nerfs. Impera is not a buff because other factions got the same. Buffing trash by one power to make it competitive with other NG bronze cards - which are still trash in comparison to other factions? This is irrelevant, you just got more trash bronzes in NG to choose from. NG just lost points from all its signature decks.

SY. Putting a hoard spender on a new leader when 99% SY meta is THE ACTUAL hoard leader? In my limited SY experience, the cases where I was missing a spender were maybe like 5-10% of my games, especially after the Jaques buff. I don't see anyone who likes coins and likes to spend them dropping Hidden Cache for this.

Ethereal is a Joust target now. Ostry emphasized they didn't wanna kill it but... they did.

The GS situation does nothing for midrange SK which is the one that's on top, not the Dagur/GS old lists which were already unplayable after the SW nerf. Another Reddit-inspired change, just like the Vincent and Ethereal. And the new leaders seem kinda trash. Brokvar Hunter beast change, despite Ostry's "hint" that Rage of the Sea supports beasts, does nothing for RotS because it spawns the Siren not plays it. Actually most noteworthy SK beasts are spawned or summoned not played. And the heal leader... doesn't heal synergize with self-dmg which already got a leader? Really... trashing the discard leader for this?

ST looks interesting with the revival of harmony. Might keep ST fans from playing Schirru... for a week or so.

Last edited:
Kinda nitpicky, but my OCD got triggered when they said Tactical Decision will spawn Morvran. I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for that to be Jan Calveit? It used to be his ability after all.
Waaaaay back in Beta Morvran initially had this ability, which was later given to Calveit when Morvran got the Reveal synergy.

I just realized all this whining is mostly just MO players upset that Ethereal isn't the objectively greatest engine in the game single-handedly carrying an entire faction anymore.
I continue to grow disappointed with this fanbase.
Except that from my point of view most, while being disappointed the card was made unplayable, rather than just nerfed down to be fine, are "whining" that cards like Auberon in a faction, which is already the weakest faction in the game, got nerfed as well (for seemingly no valid reason).

[...]
The GS situation does nothing for midrange SK which is the one that's on top, not the Dagur/GS old lists which were already unplayable after the SW nerf. Another Reddit-inspired change, just like the Vincent and Ethereal. And the new leaders seem kinda trash. Brokvar Hunter beast change, despite Ostry's "hint" that Rage of the Sea supports beasts, does nothing for RotS because it spawns the Siren not plays it. Actually most noteworthy SK beasts are spawned or summoned not played. And the heal leader... doesn't heal synergize with self-dmg which already got a leader? Really... trashing the discard leader for this?
[...]
Except that after the Greatsword nerf Warriors will not be unbeatable in a long round in certain matchups anymore, effectively confirming for the other player that the only longround "auto-win" card if left unanswered is Dagur.
From my point of view this finally deals with the design flaw of Warriors being too good in a long and too good in a short round 3.

Last edited:
Except that from my point of view most, while being disappointed the card was made unplayable, rather than just nerfed down to be fine, are "whining" that cards like Auberon in a faction, which is already the weakest faction in the game, got nerfed as well (for seemingly no valid reason).

Except that after the Greatsword nerf Warriors will not be unbeatable in a long round in certain matchups anymore, effectively confirming for the other player that the only longround "auto-win" card if left unanswered is Dagur.
From my point of view this finally deals with the design flaw of Warriors being too good in a long and too good in a short round 3.
Every evolve card was nerfed since they've all become autoincludes. Ethereal isn't unplayable it just requires setup now.
If you scroll through the comments on the video you will see it's 90% whining about Ethereal.

Every evolve card was nerfed since they've all become autoincludes. Ethereal isn't unplayable it just requires setup now.
If you scroll through the comments on the video you will see it's 90% whining about Ethereal.

Are you sure? I haven't seen the nerf to the Usurper evolving card :giveup:

Waaaaay back in Beta Morvran initially had this ability, which was later given to Calveit when Morvran got the Reveal synergy.
If I didn't consider Homecoming and Beta Gwent as completely different games I'd be fine with that. But as much as I liked beta, I'd rather the devs stayed consistent with how they've presented things earlier in Homecoming. But that's me.

1. So NR is going to take SK's place for the broken faction with NG behind since that's the only faction with the control and removal tools to counter it. Shield Wall leader ability is too OP for a faction with so many powerful engines that self activate and are impossible to stop once they get going.

Exactly that! Shield wall sounds insane with the variety of the boosting unit and/or shields removal archetype. Also I expect ton of complaints about NG tutoring abilities with the new Tactical decision.

A disappointing patch that solves basically nothing about the current state of the game ( stale meta, more than half of the cards are unplayable)
1) Unjustified NR buff, they were one of the strongest, some may argue the strongest, faction of this season. Snowballing engines and shieldwall and the new pincer are crazy
2) Bland new abilities plus the killing of non meta decks. SK new abilities are a joke, was honestly expecting a revamp of the druid or discard archetype and we get a spawn mardo and some rain. Also, SC gone? Why?
I welcome the "death" of the ethereal [...] but MO has basically only WH now and stupid point slam.
3) New SY ability is useless when you still have hidden cache around ( the only ability played )

What the game really needs right now are more playable cards, more archetypes and balanced leader abilities, let's hope for an incoming new big patch

Last edited by a moderator:
A disappointing patch that solves basically nothing about the current state of the game ( stale meta, more than half of the cards are unplayable)
[...]
Which is the complaint in most card games.
Realistically you will never have a state where all cards are equally playable, if anything this game is less static about that, given that even with objectively worse cards you have a chance to win if you seize your opportunity.
Also with this update we should get more playable leader abilities and once that actually do something more interesting than just boosting something a bit.

[...]
1) Unjustified NR buff, they were one of the strongest, some may argue the strongest, faction of this season. Snowballing engines and shieldwall and the new pincer are crazy
[...]
I disagree, the Pincer is everything but crazy, although I agree that from our current position Shieldwall looks gamebreakingly overpowered.

[...]
2) Bland new abilities plus the killing of non meta decks. SK new abilities are a joke, was honestly expecting a revamp of the druid or discard archetype and we get a spawn mardo and some rain. Also, SC gone? Why?
I welcome the "death" of the ethereal [...] but MO has basically only WH now and stupid point slam.
[...]
What you describe as "some rain" is a very strong leader ability, while I agree that the alchemy leader ability should really have an actually decent passive, right now it is just some mediocre gimmick, it should have been a boost, rather than a heal.
As for the MO part I agree, Ethereal vanishing is good, however will actually just decrease variety, rather than improving it.

[...]
3) New SY ability is useless when you still have hidden cache around ( the only ability played )
[...]
That is not true, Congregation is also played in Gord deck.

ya1

Forum regular
Ethereal isn't unplayable it just requires setup now.

It's unplayable 100%. Every new Ethereal is now joustable. And it needs a click so it does not affect their reach after pass. So even if it somehow survives it just got much worse for the bleed.

All the Ethereal whining is because that card brought MO to high tiers. Now it's gone. Whole bunch of decks are gone. Ethereal is gone, Kiki is gone, double Auberon is gone, Keltulis is gone. None of them were op. MO got one archetype reinforced (meagerly imo) while losing a bunch of other archetypes, whole branches of play styles.

The most op stuff - NR - was actually hyper buffed to insanity. The Vabjorn situation all over again but times 1000.

I disagree, the Pincer is everything but crazy, although I agree that from our current position Shieldwall looks gamebreakingly overpowered.

Pincer is broken. It's basically an AA but all the cards are 4 provisions. Anseis drops at 9. That's up to 18 point play (10 raw point from leader alone) plus removal value. Up to over 30 points with Viraxis plus double removal. While other leaders are "carefully" balanced around the threshold of 6 points plus an effect. (And it helps with Natalis bricking)

It's only overshadowed by the Shield Wall misunderstanding. But who knows. Pincer might actually be better.

What you describe as "some rain" is a very strong leader ability

I don't see where axactly it is strong. Bloodthirst got Patricidal. 2 power beast, what exactly is it for?

Last edited:
[...]
Pincer is broken. It's basically an AA but all the cards are 4 provisions. Anseis drops at 9. That's up to 18 point play plus removal value. Up to over 30 points with Viraxis plus double removal. While other leaders are "carefully" balanced around the threshold of 6 points plus an effect.
[...]
"6 points plus an effect" ?
What do you mean ?
Leader abilities at this point play for 10+ points, with 8 + utility with Arnjolf being the floor (although you cannot really say the Sirens give the opponent points because Boar and Hemdall just nuke them anyways without losing points).
Anseis by himself is worth 8 points minimum, if you actually get the full duel value after using Pincer for him you get a 10 point leader, which improved your hand quality, potentially you actually have to mulligan Anseis if you want the full value from the boost of your leader.

[...]
It's only overshadowed by the Shield Wall misunderstanding. But who knows. Pincer might actually be better.
[...]
What do you mean by "misunderstanding" ?

[...]
I don't see where axactly it is strong. Bloodthirst got Patricidal. 2 power beast, what exactly is it for?
It is worth 4 points per charge for up to 12 points, while being versatile in being able to commit 1 charge early, furthermore it enables bloodthirst and triggers Greatswords (which are propably still playable) and Dagur.
It is the first non-Sacrificial Vanguard leader ability which can be used in multiple rounds and unlike SV, actually gives you a valid amount of points.

Made a devotion deck with almost all the wild hunt units (expect for wild hunt hound, navigator, caranthir and nithral) and fruits leader ability, the goal is just simply have a lots of base points and frost for flavor ... I play this deck only because I think wild hunt archetype is cool and went for style but even with all the wild hunt units Auberon is usually just a engine as a last say and unstable create effect... maybe there are better ways to build a deck around Auberon's ability but with shadow ability and caranthir nerfed I'm confused :disapprove:

I think greatswords need to be viewed as a new unit: they gained one immediate power, they lost the row dependence, and they are now healable. It’s not clear whether the effective cap on their power overshadows or fails to offset these boosts. They have certainly become harder to deal with, although they are less devestating if uncountered.

I like the change, but I won’t claim it to be balanced until it plays out. Now if only they would change Dagur to be more like the old Greatswords rather than the brain dead, binary thing he is....

Last edited:
Ok, so tomorrow NG players will wake up and....nothing has changed.

Every faction lost 1 provision point beacause of the oneiromanci nerfed, but for NG they recovery that point in Vincent, since 80% of NG decks has Vincent.

And for those who doesnt has Vincent, they problably will use imperial, so they gain 1 provision point, and, like i said, nothing has changed.

Ah, in fact they loose 2 points in the entire game, or 2 points by Vicent or 2 points by imperial.

CDPR is seriously thinking in change oneiromanci provisions? The only card that take off the lucky dependence in the game and they change to 13 provision? Fuck off.

I am thinking to send a ticket to google and take my money back in this journey

I like the Battle Trance ability. I would love to see it changed to 17 provisions so I could include both Triss and Oneiromancy for some Mardroeme madness on Dracoturtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom