Developer Update 8.5 Video

+
I am confused. When they first introduced the 12 new leader cards, almost two months ago, they said that every 2 months a new smaller expansion of 26 cards would come out.
But in the recent video they said that the next expansion will come out in June. I thought it would be in May, with the new season.
Did I miss something?

EDIT: OK it's every 2 months but 3 months after the first release, my mistake.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I meant to write my opinions on the dev stream yesterday, but didnt have the time so i'll do it now if you dont mind:

-Regarding stratagems, i hate the change to poison stratagem. Unless you got a more swarmy deck or very strong R1, makes NG on blue coin (and perhaps SY and ST) have a very easy win R1 with low commitment bronzes, basically a free Maraal...

-The MO stratagem, i loved the change, but im totally biased as i love DW, and it reminds me of the times where the DW leader could trigger any DW effect (gold or bronze) once per round, before it was changed to charges. But i do admit its probably a bit overtuned, although the only problematic cards it could be used are Miruna, Manticore and Penitent (you could use with Caranthir-plague maiden, but you would have to move the plague maiden to other row after)

-The rest of the stratagem buffs are really good.

On the leader changes:
-Finally the Invigorate buff! :oops: We only had to spend around 2 years suggesting similar buffs for it to happen!

-The Reckless Flurry might be a bit too much. The extra flexibility will make it perfect for full control decks like Madoc, where just wipe you every turn, and GS and Dagur will love these changes, my guess is it will become the most played SK leader, maybe tied with BoG.

-The safecracker nerf's only issue is it should have come sooner. There are plenty of similar bronzes, but they either require to be played before or after the cards they synergize with, safecracker did both, that's not balanced at all.

-The ancient foglet rework is a bit weird - not only is it too powerful, it has more synergy with frost than fog, if you play it immediately after that frost echo, it should buff immediately to 8, and it will keep boosting whenever you add more weather.

-I love the buffs to my boys, Vrygheff and Vreemde, i had actually been using them in my retro slave infantry deck and having fun beating the "metabreaker", but if im honest, the buff to vreemde is unnecessary, he is already really good, if he's not played more often its because the soldier swarm archetype was neglected by players in favour of ball aristocrats, but it was never bad.

-Regarding the leader card changes, most are really good, like the 2 vamps, foltest and meve, my favourite - Crach, and the nerf to Cleaver.
The nerf to Eist was not enough and it doesnt adress the issue - the pointswingy nature of it, due to an insane point/prov ratio.

And Eldain SHOULD absolutely have been nerfed, even more than Cleaver, there's a reason this elf trap deck plays scenario R1 and leaves eldain for R3, its because like every other deck they leave their BEST play for last, so yeah a 10pr card outpointing a scenario and that it cant be countered. (And no, i dont hate the deck, its actually my favourite ST deck by far but i still think its not balanced)

Finally, Whoreson Jr. Insanely overbuffed, are you kidding? You're still in time to revert this before May 6th, because it will be in 100% of SY decks if its not. Even on this Open #1 it could be seen on a few decks, so its definitely not unplayable, but if this change happens, it will be a 5 deals 6 for 10 with added removal possibilities, even decks not focused on removal can use it as a relatively cheap tech option.

[...]

And Eldain SHOULD absolutely have been nerfed, even more than Cleaver, there's a reason this elf trap deck plays scenario R1 and leaves eldain for R3, its because like every other deck they leave their BEST play for last, so yeah a 10pr card outpointing a scenario and that it cant be countered. (And no, i dont hate the deck, its actually my favourite ST deck by far but i still think its not balanced) [...]
I would argue this is because the no-unit playstyle of Traps benefits a lot from last say and a long round 3, so this ordering is not a surprise, given that the Trap part of the deck is a lot less flexible than the Scenario (regarding the round length).

[...]

Finally, Whoreson Jr. Insanely overbuffed, are you kidding? You're still in time to revert this before May 6th, because it will be in 100% of SY decks if its not. Even on this Open #1 it could be seen on a few decks, so its definitely not unplayable, but if this change happens, it will be a 5 deals 6 for 10 with added removal possibilities, even decks not focused on removal can use it as a relatively cheap tech option.
It was used in this Open #1, given that certain decks can just be banned (like SK).
I would argue that it is horrendous.
The change also only really affects Devotion SY decks with regard to the lowered condition on the deploy.

However I do have to agree that a 5 deal 6 for 10p with a spending ability might be pushing it a little bit too much, given that Skordjal (for Devotion SK) at the very least cannot be used in earlier rounds without losing much of his value.
That being said, I would argue that Junior is likely overtuned by 1 provision.

Pincer Maneuvre + Oneriromancy + Amphibious Assault = 6 great tutors in a deck.
unless the card reshuffled with PM will be random (excluding the card freshly drawn)

It will certainly be OP. Imagine getting 2 tutor cards and a skill = 4 tutors in a first round.

No nerfs to Eist and Eldain - Order would be the best nerf, no more "win a gameplay in one turn" shenaningans.

Reworking of tactical artefacts and locations is great tbh.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Anyone else has already been theorycrafting decks for the May 6th balance patch?
If so, what decks are you most excited to try?

The 1st i'll try is based on an humble 4pr card, which is getting reworked and might become one of the best 4pr cards in the game: NR's PFI (Poor F***ing Infantry).
It will be very easy to swarm humans with this for a Draug, and thanks to @InkognitoXI for the idea, with land of a thousand fables and AA you can get a guaranteed 2nd Draug, i'll definitely use this! On the 2nd AA preferably, which seems the most cost efficient way.
Maybe i'll even add a decoy to Draug 3x times, with the new Pincer Maneuver there will be plenty of possibilities, even doing double Draug on the same round!

From other factions, im also excited for some MO frost+weather with the new foglets, and some pirate shenanigans with reckless flurry.

I will also try my slave infantry deck with vyrgheff/vreemde, but i can do some upgrades due to their upcoming buffs.

Anyone else has already been theorycrafting decks for the May 6th balance patch?
With the buff to Coral I will definitely try to improve my SK Lippy Singleton Deck which was before built around discarding Specials to best benefit from her and now her Buff opens up a lot more possibilities like adding Eist, Iris Companions and maybe even Renew for Land of thousand Fables to transform into another Radeyah or Syanna (Double Kambi).

I kind of expect that Sihil will also receive resilience, I mean there must be a reason they used the Art for the Open and Dev Overview Video, if that should be the Case I will definitely try to make a "Classic Eithné" Sihil Deck.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

If so, what decks are you most excited to try?
Trying to figure out the best weather combination. I don't think any one of these MO archetypes are viable on their own. Right now my main is Blood and Ice (Frost and Vampires).

With the new changes I'll need to either combine Fog+Bleeding or Fog+Frost .....and then come up with a cool name to strike fear into my opponents heart even though they can't see it. hmm....Crimson.... Mist :confused: ooooohhh...that's a good one.... *makes notes*

DRK3

Forum veteran
maybe even Scorch for Land of thousand Fables to transform into another Radeyah or Syanna (Double Kambi).

I believe the land of thousand fables order effect will only give you units of the same faction you're using, so no neutrals.

This will make the card less RNG-esque, as it can be strategically to guarantee a certain card you want, specially on high tier gold units.

I believe the land of thousand fables order effect will only give you units of the same faction you're using, so no neutrals.

This will make the card less RNG-esque, as it can be strategically to guarantee a certain card you want, specially on high tier gold units.
I could be wrong but I assumed considering the Card Text that it would transform into a Card of the Special Card's Faction (in this case Neutral would count as a Faction? No? :confused:) if not shouldn't it be worded "from your Faction" like in Elf and Onion Soup (Destroy 2 allied units of the same border color, then Create and play a unit of the same color from your faction or neutrals.), I guess we'll have to wait and see how it exactly works.

IMG_20210427_210559.jpg

For me that land of thousand fables have only space in assimilate decks.

But for 10 provision, only in meme decks.

So i dont know why devs whant to change a card thats its only a meme

For me that land of thousand fables have only space in assimilate decks.

But for 10 provision, only in meme decks.

So i dont know why devs whant to change a card thats its only a meme
I disagree, I'm quite anxious to try this card in a serious deck. Moreover, 10 provisions for tutoring any special card and the possibility of transforming a special card into another from the same faction (key attribute here) opens interesting prospects.

I disagree, I'm quite anxious to try this card in a serious deck. Moreover, 10 provisions for tutoring any special card and the possibility of transforming a special card into another from the same faction (key attribute here) opens interesting prospects.
OK, lets get out The theory and see in pratical.

Since its The same provision, we agree its only viable in eco cards (in other hand, its easyer put The unit you whant on The deck for The same provision)

So, in The eco we have AA wich can be used on create another draug (ok, i think this is The Best use) or Blood eagle, wich gives a harald (good card, but its not devotion) or hemdall (good card too).

So, assimilate and this other 2 utility.

The rest of eco cards are 9 provision and can give a lot of rng cards, and, for The rest, The another no eco cards, If you whant a specific unit Just put in The original deck.

For me, land should give a unit costing 1 or 2 more provisions tô be useful

I see some uses for it aside from AA: bricked tutors, bricked control cards like scorch or CoC, but is it going to be in optimized decks? Doubt it

I see some uses for it aside from AA: bricked tutors, bricked control cards like scorch or CoC, but is it going to be in optimized decks? Doubt it
yes, like i said, its a meme card.

Of course there is some usefull, everycard has some usefull, but not in optimized decks, like you said.

But the question is, why devs reworks (or buff?) a card to stiill be a meme?

yes, like i said, its a meme card.

Of course there is some usefull, everycard has some usefull, but not in optimized decks, like you said.

But the question is, why devs reworks (or buff?) a card to stiill be a meme?
At least they are inserting interesting mechanics in these patches, even though I think the word "meme" has too much of a negative conotation. King Roegner is a meme card that nonetheless can amount to a reasonable win rate in the right deck. Also, the game needs color, and I suspect it'd become quite stale if the devs decided to remove from the available pool every card that wouldn't fit a meta deck.

In a perfect world, it'd be nice if we could have variants of optimized decks which included cards like these, and I believe the devs are doing their share. It must be frustrating to the dev team to come here and realize all the published work is either misdirected or insufficient, to the point I'd understand if they simply didn't care anymore other than what CDPR's goals are. People are never happy with anything.

Guest 4375874

At least they are inserting interesting mechanics in these patches, even though I think the word "meme" has too much of a negative conotation. King Roegner is a meme card that nonetheless can amount to a reasonable win rate in the right deck. Also, the game needs color, and I suspect it'd become quite stale if the devs decided to remove from the available pool every card that wouldn't fit a meta deck.

In a perfect world, it'd be nice if we could have variants of optimized decks which included cards like these, and I believe the devs are doing their share. It must be frustrating to the dev team to come here and realize all the published work is either misdirected or insufficient, to the point I'd understand if they simply didn't care anymore other than what CDPR's goals are. People are never happy with anything.
Then they would be in the wrong line of business. Many players spend money on the game so I don't support overlooking poor decision making under the guise that people just aren't satisfied . Consider that many of the problems in the game that people complain about should have been discovered in testing. The Scenario nerfs for example took months to be addressed and it was quite obvious why they were problematic and needed doomed. So the many complaints are only many because the devs failed to do proper testing or any at all for that matter. Everyone will never be happy sure but there are obvious cases where it comes down to poor direction on the part of the devs.

I give them praise where it's deserved and equal criticism where it's deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I could be wrong but I assumed considering the Card Text that it would transform into a Card of the Special Card's Faction (in this case Neutral would count as a Faction? No? :confused:) if not shouldn't it be worded "from your Faction" like in Elf and Onion Soup (Destroy 2 allied units of the same border color, then Create and play a unit of the same color from your faction or neutrals.), I guess we'll have to wait and see how it exactly works.

I dont think the devs consider Neutral as a faction, although it could work as you said, im not really familiarized with elf and onion soup (embarrasing for a meme lord, i know :shrug:), i just thought that one gave you a random card. And on this effect, from the reworked 'Land of a thousand fables', i assumed it gave you a card of the faction you're using, not the one that the transformed special belongs to, i guess in a few weeks we'll find out...

Also, what if there isnt a single unit with the same provisions as the transformed special, what will happen? Transform into one with -1 provision? Random transformation? Or no transformation at all (most likely).

Very true, ive been an advocate for meme cards in Gwent since the betas, and ive been trying to fight this misconception that meme cards = bad. Also, the notion that there are only either competitive cards or meme cards with no inbetween, when in reality, most cards of the cardpool fall precisely on that gray area.

I can say with certainty there have been a lot of meme decks that were able to hold out on their own vs metadecks, maybe now not so much as before, which is a shame, but although harder, its still possible.
For example, im using 2 NG decks which most would consider 'memey' - a NG witchers deck and a slave infantry ronvid deck, and the truth is they can fight back against most tier 1 and 2 decks, and both are very favoured against any NG metadeck opponent.

Top Bottom