Developers on building upon the assets they already created?

+
So with 3 characters and over 100+ hours into cyberpunk a thought occurred to me. I think the originality of night city and a lot we were blocked off from could simply be used and expanded upon for the next installment of three is to be one.

I'm looking at it from an artist perspective but with such a great foundation already in place why wouldn't developers take advantage of lessening their workload on a sequel? Assuming the sequel would still be on the same engine. We already have the city in place, new interiors could be added for any accompanying storylines, we have the surrounding areas outside the city that could be populated with smaller towns, they could even add an underworld( actual sewer, etc ).

With developers currently, it seems, wanting to remaster older titles and expand online titles this could work for a game like cyberpunk. And it would likely cut down on development cost and production time; admittedly I could be wrong on this.

But I think handling single player games essentially like mmo's as far as expanding could work. I just look at night city and think it such a waste of an awesome foundation( I have no idea what plans there are for expansions I only mean 'waste' in the sense that there is serious potential for growth in the same setting with future installments ). I know the majority of gamers tend to want sequels in completely new areas and for the majority of games I agree.

But what would everyones thoughts be if cdpr produced a sequel using the same assets and layout and just greatly expanded it?

"DEVELOPERS ON BUILDING UPON THE ASSETS THEY ALREADY CREATED?"

Sure. Why not? Think that's exactly what they'll do. Only makes sense.

"But what would everyones thoughts be if cdpr produced a sequel using the same assets and layout and just greatly expanded it?"
Think if they wanted, they could make 10 different storylines, all consisting of the same assets they used before.
Other dev teams do that too. TR 1, 2, and 3. RE2R and 3, are some of them.

It's too soon for a sequel when the first one wasn't released in a complete state yet.
I think you may have misunderstood the point of the thread. In short sequels take just as long as the entry title, in years, or longer to develop, but if developers used their already established assets( world, environment, etc ) sequels could be delivered much sooner.

I'm not saying we need a sequel now or even at all, I'm just throwing out ideas and questions about the development process.

While Cyberpunk looks great now (with a sufficiently powerful PC), in however long it takes to crank out a sequel, it wouldn't look so great.

While reusing assets would cut down on time, the new story has to be written & voice acted (in all the various languages the game is released in). It would still take quite a while

If CDPR will consider using 77 assets as a base for future games, I'm all for it. This level of visual fidelity is more than enough for me.

If a sequel would use the same assetts to essentially expand on the original game, I'd rather they continue to expand the original game in the first place.

Top Bottom