@developers, what did he say?

+
The OP of this insanely upvoted post on the Cyberpunk 2077 sub Reddit, seemingly found some negative information about Cyberpunk 2077. Everyone apparently liked, and agreed with whatever he had to say in relation to lowering expectations.

My problem with this post is that the OP edited the post, so whatever information he hit on that gained him 9k up votes is anyone’s guess. Even scanning through the comments, I didn’t come across anything that’s worth mentioning, or would warrant 9k upvotes (the post is basically Stickied).

CDPR is pretty fair, and honest for a AAA studio (so far), and I can’t imagine that there has been any information said by the developers, and or gameplay shown that is not going to be in the game. I’m just very complexed by this post, mostly the amount of upvotes for such a negative post (with next to no information to warrant 9k people agreeing we all need to lower our expectations).

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/gzk1jp
Anyone that knew what the original post was about specifically, I’d like to know in detail what expectations he’s referring to. If he’s just generalizing, then how did 9k people agree we all need to lower our expectations for the game. It’s just interesting, and given the amount of upvotes, concerning.

Anyone that knew what the original post was about specifically, I’d like to know in detail what expectations he’s referring to. If he’s just generalizing, then how did 9k people agree we all need to lower our expectations for the game. It’s just interesting, and given the amount of upvotes, concerning.

I’m one of the upvoters. The screenshot on the post shows a comment on YouTube where someone, and I quote, “can’t wait to see the motorcycle mechanics, such as leaning off the bike, counter steering, maybe even rev matching”. Mind you, I’m not a bike enthusiast, so I’m not too familiar with most of the jargon, but it sounds like that person on YouTube is expecting more in-depth bike mechanics than the ones the game seems to feature, hence the redditor asking for people to lower their expectations. The edit is just the redditor’s apology, he didn’t remove anything as far as I can tell.

Personally, I don’t see anything controversial about the post. The YouTube user did nothing overly wrong, they’re only wishing for something it’s likely to not be there in the final version of the game, and the redditor did nothing wrong as well, they’re only reminding people to not expect so much from the game.

As I always say, hype is good and fun but only within reason. Hype about, say, the game’s rich world-building? Great! Hype about visiting a space station or becoming a megacorp CEO (especially if they’re not confirmed features)? Better hit the brakes on the hype train a bit. Expectations aren’t a bad thing per se but they should be realistic enough, you shouldn’t expect any game to be the best of many worlds.

Last edited:
I didn't see his original post but i think he talk how people have too great and unrealistic expectation from this game, how game going to have this and that, stuff that even developers said it won't be in game, like flying cars, buying real estate, joining gangs, entering every building going on every floor and many other life sim stuff.

I’m one of the upvoters. The screenshot on the post shows a comment on YouTube where someone, and I quote, “can’t wait to see the motorcycle mechanics, such as leaning off the bike, counter steering, maybe even rev matching”.

I don't ride a bike! I think it's nuts! My eldest does though, so: leaning is obvious and I think you can see V do it..you put the bike low on a turn so as to balance for the turn. You might put your knee out as well.

Counter steering is the counter-intuitive truth of high speed turning on a motorcycle - you turn the wheel away from the direction you want to go. Weird, right? Anyway, again, V will handle this automatically I'm sure.

Rev matching I would guess is a gearing trick to maintain high RPM and smooth gear changes. I could google, but, meh.

I think V will do all these things! Automatically! Because V is the character and those are her skills. Me, I can't do any of those things! Well, I can lean. Riiiiiiiight over. Thud.

Expectations in check is a good thing. Expecting such an in-depth riding model is not realistic. Temper that. This is why it was upvoted. No mystery at all.

Well, there's nothing bad about this post. Players don't really know what they want. That's why profession such as game designer exists.
Players just LOVE generating different ideas for an upcoming game without thinking of how hard it'd be for devs to implement their proposed mechanic, how well it'd fit in game's setting, how this feature would affect gameplay, etc.

MauricioMM, that answered my question, and I am thankful someone caught his original post, thank you.

Thank you everyone else for replying, because I was really struggling trying to understand if people literally had too high expectations (and I guess some people apparently do), and or I myself had too high expectations, in that there was information out there other people knew that I didn't.

This is not a normal post imo, because normally a post like that, even if it made good points, would not reach such high upvotes, and comments. It was like a revolution just happened on the sub Reddit, video game sites are about to share this guys post all over the world, things are about to get real, CDPR is in trouble. That kind of thing, the more upvotes I saw the post get the more concerned, and curious I was about what he originally had posted.

Now that I know he only edited the post to add a apology, and didn't actually have a ounce of information I didn't already know about the game, I am very relieved. Also thank you all again.

I will close with, that I think I am going to take a break from reading the Cyberpunk 2077 sub Reddit, a matter of fact I probably shouldn't even read the Reddit, because anything slightly negative about the game in anyway, that gets up voted will just piss me off. I am not going to lie, and its terrible I know, so I am going to just stay away from Reddit. This is the final lesson learned lol.

Every niche of the gaming community wants CP2077 to be the "next great game" in their niche.

PvPers want to eclipse Fortnight/Counterstrike.
FPSers want to blow Call of Duty away.
Action gamers want Doom 2077.
Realism gamers want ArmA 2077.
RPGers want Baldurs Gate 2077.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

No single game can be all these things, but people want to think CP2077 somehow will be.

No single game can be all these things, but people want to think CP2077 somehow will be.

And for me, it will. So there! Victory!

I will close with, that I think I am going to take a break from reading the Cyberpunk 2077 sub Reddit, a matter of fact I probably shouldn't even read the Reddit, because anything slightly negative about the game in anyway, that gets up voted will just piss me off. I am not going to lie, and its terrible I know, so I am going to just stay away from Reddit. This is the final lesson learned lol.

That’s perfectly OK, I understand, places like Reddit can be draining, our brains aren’t designed to take so much information. However, If I were you I’d also learn to not be too concerned about negative opinions about the game because they’re just inevitable. Heck, it’s been happening already, ever since the game was announced (just look at, for instance, a lot of what’s posted and been posted on these forums :LOL: ). And don’t worry about CD Projekt, they handle pressure very well, with some stumbles of course but nothing of major concern.

Instead, worry about yourself. The internet is an ocean of good, bad, and terrible takes about things, and Cyberpunk will get (and it’s been getting already) its fair share of takes, with the negative ones probably being the louder ones. And that’s fine, that’s just how media and opinions work, but if you get too worked up about the negative takes your enthusiasm about the game (and, in the worst case scenario, about life in general) will dwindle.

What matters in the end is how you feel about the game. If avoiding or even leaving Reddit helps you then that’s OK :ok:But try also to not let the negativity of others (people and outlets) affect you that much, it’s simply not worth it.

Every niche of the gaming community wants CP2077 to be the "next great game" in their niche.

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

It better be, or there will be hell to pay!! My expectation of CDPR is, if i cant fully immerse and die IRL when I die in game, I want my money back! I want my full body tactile boot-suit, cooling spray and cab fare. They better have my toe-heel double clutch option for rev-matching during a full lean chase with mouse look NOT connected to my gun hand.
This stuff is super easy, so if they haven't done it already CDPR is just lazy. No excuse!
OH, and don't even get me started on if those terminals aren't running the correct version of nmap to stuxnet my specter terminal over a dropbear dirtycow side-channel to drop in my backdoor hydra worm. WTF, get it right people!!
COME ONE, its not that hard!

I think it is good to have hype but yeah, I have seen comments from people who basically want it to be real life but cyberpunk. I can see a lot of disappointment by some people based off that.
I don't know much about CDPR at all, didn't really get into Witcher so I can't judge them based off that. I'm just someone who really misses good games and hasn't really enjoyed any for a while now. I seen people get really into Cyberpunk 2077 so here I am waiting. However, based off what I saw so far it looks like a really amazing game.

It has the potential to be, with such tight connection to redditcommunity, unlimited budget and time CDPR takes to develop this game, like it's a real free estate.

It has the potential to be, with such tight connection to redditcommunity, unlimited budget and time CDPR takes to develop this game, like it's a real free estate.
I also feel, that with moddability, it can become what people want as well, which IMO will extend the life of the game a lot. and IMO, i feel this will be one of the largest games for the genre so i hope it gets all kinds of crazy mods. Though, i fully expect it to be re-playable many times out of the box. But, if i want to play as op ironman, eventually that may need to be a mod. :)
I've wondered if things where you can create your own tools or scripts as a netrunner would fit in. in a sense, can upgrade your own tools somewhat. not to make them too OP, but more, hey, i want to do thing a,b,c here's a macro. chaining things. I suppose that could also chain physical and other attacks as well.

I also feel, that with moddability, it can become what people want as well, which IMO will extend the life of the game a lot. and IMO, i feel this will be one of the largest games for the genre so i hope it gets all kinds of crazy mods. Though, i fully expect it to be re-playable many times out of the box. But, if i want to play as op ironman, eventually that may need to be a mod. :)
I've wondered if things where you can create your own tools or scripts as a netrunner would fit in. in a sense, can upgrade your own tools somewhat. not to make them too OP, but more, hey, i want to do thing a,b,c here's a macro. chaining things. I suppose that could also chain physical and other attacks as well.
Modding is what I like to think essential for a game's lifespan. Sure, the entire gameplay and the formula have to be enjoying in the first place, but mods can keep people coming and playing in general.

Take DOOM and DOOM 2 for example - both are pretty alive and well because id software released the source code at some point, so people (the community) went and built the ports of these to run 9n modern PCs. Then the Modding came and the variety of all kinds of overhauls, gameplay mods, maps, map packs, etc is just over the damn top. Would take you ages to play all of them.

The gameplay is more or less the same ever still - shoot, run, find the keys and secrets, but mods spice things up to a degree you need to keep it fresh ans fun after all those years.

I'm not saying CDPR should give us the source code at some point, though. But definitely, mod support would greatly improve the longevity game not only because mods keep the game fresh and fun, but because of the unfair expectations the game would live up to after years of people building their perfect vision inside of their heads.

Top Bottom