Devotion improvement suggestion.

+
I was thinking since you guys seem to be going for more theme oriented decks (Dwarfs, Elves, Dryads etc. And btw i love that :D ) maybe you can rework devotion to be more restrictive than just factions.
By that i mean something like Devotion: Dwarfs. "if your deck contains only dwarf units, trigger this ability".
This would exclude special cards, artifacts and defenders but it would give you an opening to buff certain underpowered cards without making them auto include in every deck of that faction.
I think that can make top tier decks like Dwarfs,Elves,Dryads,Vampires,Wild Hunt,Salamandra,Witch Hunters,Svalblod and many others.
Some units might need some adjustements or even reworks but i think in the long run that would be an easier way to balance units if you limit their best synergies with specific archtypes rather than being used in any deck.
I like to see Elves synergizing well with traps. It fits the thematic of the witcher universe so the deck makes sense. Same goes for dwarfs and all other decks i mentioned above.
What i don't like is seeing WH units with Vampires and some random larvas thrown in because that's the only way to make the deck competitive.
I mean, i understand that it's impossible to have an exclusive dryad or vampire or WH deck, but it would be nice to see dwarfs fighting elves or redenia fighting rivia or cutups fighting crownsplitters rather than just throwing the best cards of the faction in a deck to make it meta and fighting everyone.

I dont think the cardpool is there to support this.
If you want more restrictive stuff there are cards like Shupe and Radeyah btw

No thanks.

Today i was thinking a out devotion and The problem is not have a card that can destro artifacts and/or a card that can banish cards from gy.

I mean, with this Madoc meta, devotion decks sucks

I know the cardpool isn't there yet. That's why i said that some units might need even total reworks. The point was not to make cards too restrictive but more like encouraging theme oriented decks.
Meh, whatever. It was just an idea and it probably will never happen anyway.

I don’t think we need features to artificially reduce the cards usable in designing a deck. I think the suggestion (in it original form at least) is antithetical to creative deck building.

I like your suggestion. Creating theme oriented devotion doesnt mean erase the other type.
And, unlike others suggested, I think it might force some creativity to build themtic decks. Love it

I don’t think we need features to artificially reduce the cards usable in designing a deck. I think the suggestion (in it original form at least) is antithetical to creative deck building.

I agree with you. I don't wanna reduce the cards being usable in all decks either. What i'm suggesting is this:

Let's take for example Caranthir.
The card stays the same as it is right now. You don't reduce it's effectiveness in any way BUT you add an extra effect with Devotion: Wild Hunt that goes something like "If your deck contains only WH units, also boost the spawned unit by 5".
Or something along those lines. This way the cards that exist will stay as good as they are but if you commit to a thematic deck you get even more points.

well it may be a good idea for SC or MO but SK or NR even NG what would be the devotion for them NR soldiers or nationality (Lyria,Temeria) if so then it's not that good , neat idea i'll give you that but it'd take a lot of cards to add to make something like that

well it may be a good idea for SC or MO but SK or NR even NG what would be the devotion for them NR soldiers or nationality (Lyria,Temeria) if so then it's not that good , neat idea i'll give you that but it'd take a lot of cards to add to make something like that
Sk should be pirates, warriors and druida

I like it, it could be with cards that already have devotion introducing a 2° condición improved. Something like
- Devotion: "do one thing".
- Devotion (arquetipe) : "do another thing".

Sk should be pirates, warriors and druida
Warriors might be good but pirates would have to be expended by ships and druids by beasts and I think that it would be unfair to let's say elves devotion that doesn't need anything (plus scenarios would be a little weird)
Post automatically merged:

Warriors might be good but pirates would have to be expended by ships and druids by beasts and alchemy and I think that it would be unfair to let's say elves devotion that doesn't need anything or even with traps it'd be a little unfair and like I said it's impossible for NR they are too dependent on one another (plus scenarios would be a little weird)

Last edited:

Well, like EduFerraz said SK can have Pirates, Warriors and Druids. And i'd also add Svalblood Cultists.
If they wanna go really in depth with it they can even make them around clans like An Craite, Dimun, Drummond etc. But some abilities of some cards would have to be switched around in order for them to have synergies with their clan only. Plus i don't think we have the cards for that.

NG while they can't really make it about categories like soldiers, spies etc. maybe they can make it about factions?
like Ard Feainn, Van Moorlehem, Siege Engines and Tactics, Toussaint units etc.

NR we have Cursed units that can fit into a thematic deck if tweaked a bit. Mages, Blue stripes and Temerians (since they fight for the sane country) Kerack units and a few others.
But yeah overall you're right. there aren't enough units of the same category / factions in the game in order to make something like this happen.
Plus the amount of work and time they would have to put into something like this is insane and i don't think CDPR has that type of resources.

But yeah overall you're right. there aren't enough units of the same category / factions in the game in order to make something like this happen.
Plus the amount of work and time they would have to put into something like this is insane and i don't think CDPR has that type of resources.
This.
The idea is nice, but in reality it would require a different game from ground up. So many fundamental changes required starting from basic faction design (not even talking about card design), that it would be a Homecoming 2.0.

Also, as it was very well noted above, not every faction can be easily forced under further sub-factions. It makes sense for some, and zero to some other. SY, SK and MO have distinctive factions within factions (Wild Hunt, Vampires and the SY gangs are very good examples), but on the other side of the coin NG is one synergistic warmachine, NR a collection of independent states and countries, SC (even their name is already misleading) again a mass of nonhuman races banded together. Trying to further separate them under smaller groups would be a forced idea.

Well but there Is no problem. The idea can be applied un te factions that already have the possibility. Not necessary to do it with everyone.

I changed the title to Devotion Improvement rather than Devotion Change. I think that's a better description.

Well but there Is no problem. The idea can be applied un te factions that already have the possibility. Not necessary to do it with everyone.

That might be unfair for some factions. If this starts getting implemented little by little i think every faction should get some sort of change in this direction so that it would be fair for all factions.

well on one hand I love thematic decks and I play alot of wild hunt and other underdog decks with little to no cards that dont fit the archetype and sometimes it is really painful how bad devotion decks are, especially in monsters. I really wish they didnt put the devo tag on wild hunt, it suffers so much from having terrible removal and wide punish.
but making OP cards that only work in one deck would somewhat kill deckbuilding. dwarves are already type in dwarf and pick the best cards, no thinking needed for the most part. something needs to happen for devotion though imo, there are a few cards that are worth devotion but many many are nothing but traps.

In a way I kind of like/understand the suggestion but in the current game state it will not work.
Players tend to play the most points or combo per provision they don't care about archetypes.
Putting Ygern, Golyat, Ozzrel and some thrive cards in a MO deck is for example worth more points than their WH counterparts.
A way to fix this without making the neutral card pool dead would be to restrict the card abilities to work within their archetype.
Those insectoid larvas thrive ability for example would only trigger if you play an insectoid card.
Or Caranthir can only copy a Wild Hunt unit instead of a typical seen copy of a +10 provision vampire or deathwish card (which is broken TBH).
Cards like this will have a much lower ceiling and will only gain their value by playing the cards that support the archetype.
Another problem is that most devotion decks aren't good because they lack consistency.
If you put scenario in your deck but you aren't able to play it you lose to many points to win a match.
Leaders also don't benefit from devotion I'd love to see if you play devotion you gain an extra charge or an extra ability like extra damage with frost.
As simple and logical this all may sound this didn't happen since HC arrival years ago.
The devs don't understand or don't want to adress this to keep the current player base happy.
I think it's bad and ruins the awesome game Gwent could be.

Last edited:
Putting Ygern, Golyat, Ozzrel and some thrive cards in a MO deck is for example worth more points than their WH counterparts.
not to mention the WH archetype resolves around dominance but has no unit higher than 7, which is terrible design.

not to mention the WH archetype resolves around dominance but has no unit higher than 7, which is terrible design.

True, but with my suggestion that too can change. For example Conqueror. The card stays as it is right now BUT you add:
Devotion: Wild Hunt - Boost self by 4-5 points.
That would help with the dominance problem without making the card an auto include in all monster decks (well, not more than it already is.)

Top Bottom