Did anyone like how romances were done in the Mass Effect series?

+
Steelydan said:
Amen to that. I'm pretty sure TW3 will be a better game than DA:I, at least for my taste. But not because of being dark or gritty means better settings. Its the quality of the story, believable characters, motivations, fresh approach to stereotypes etc. that will make a difference.

The same thing with romances and sex. If any game contains sex elements, general public seems to praise it as 'mature'. Its the other way around, in most cases sex is quite 'immature' part of the game.
Amen back to you.

You perfectly summed up how a game should be judged. On its merits, and not on its genre or tone.

Steelydan said:
Unlikely, considering that most of their original crew no longer work in bioware.
Huh. Hm. Hmmm...

I did not know that. I mean I'm aware that the head honchos resigned some time after ME3 was released but mm. Interesting.

You know, I feel like that could mean that a new golden age could potentially begin for BioWare. A fresh new set of eyes, new creative minds, new competent programmers.

But I doubt it. As long as BSN stays open, as long as they let their fans dictate what goes into a game and the devs pander to the fans on there, BioWare will stay dead.

It's a damn shame though, I LOOOOOVE RPGs and I want to play as many as possible. Oh well.

Steelydan said:
Liara: Can I probe your mind?
Shepard: K.
Liara: *scans* Wooooow. Like, wooooow. You're... wow.

Shepard: *says something nice to Kaidan*
Kaidan: Whoa, I don't know if we should go there. You should really think about your duty, Commander.
Shepard: *blinks*

2 days later
Shepard: Hi Kaidan, wassup
Kaidan: Look, this has gone on long enough. You need to choose between me and Liara!!!
Shepard: Waaa the fuuuuu

And don't even get me started about Jacob.
Hahahaha aah cheers for that :)

Steelydan said:
I'm not an expert on BioWare's romances since the only their game I played was Dragon Age: Origins, but one thing is certain - DA:O romances were miles ahead of The Witcher 1 infamous sex cards.
The so called "sex cards" represented one night stands, not "romance", so...

It was the one thing that put me off the game. Every somewhat significant female creature in TW1 was like: bring me that little thingy which you can accidentally buy around the corner and then lets fuck. Give me a break, you cannot go more infantile than this.
Um... Geralt is a womanizer, and the sexual prowess of witchers is well known, lest you forget the "a witcher, hide your women" line that a number of NPCs shout when Geralt walks into town; this means that women will give it to Geralt for nothing, but ask for a boon in order to either feel special or that the witcher at least had to work for it. And given what you posted, I guess you don't realize rel life is just like that.

Steelydan said:
Amen to that. I'm pretty sure TW3 will be a better game than DA:I, at least for my taste. But not because of being dark or gritty means better settings. Its the quality of the story, believable characters, motivations, fresh approach to stereotypes etc. that will make a difference.

The same thing with romances and sex. If any game contains sex elements, general public seems to praise it as 'mature'. Its the other way around, in most cases sex is quite 'immature' part of the game.

This.

... speaking of Mass Effect: Origin was running a sale for ME3 for less than $9 US, so I went ahead and bought it,and I tell you, now I understand why the fans of the series were pissed off. But for $9, I spend more than that in a movie and pop corn, so not bad at that price, but still, some of the plot holes, the dramatic deaths, the choices... lots of WTF! moments, especially having to play multiplayer for the "best" endings.

As for the romances, meh... I don't really care about them, and think the so called "sex scenes" in video games are sophomoric. The only "sex scene" I have enjoyed in a video game was the TW2 scene with Geralt and Triss in the Elven baths, but I thought they should've stopped it before the humping.

And I think "romance" normally doesn't really fit in a movie or game that depicts some epic war/conflict. The best "romance" or "love scene" I've seen in a war movie was in Enemy at the Gates, in the way it fit with the movie setting.

FoggyFishburne said:
But I doubt it. As long as BSN stays open, as long as they let their fans dictate what goes into a game and the devs pander to the fans on there, BioWare will stay dead.

I think it's more BioWare's corporate overlords than the fans. DA2 and ME3 feel like they were designed by a committee of businesspeople in a room full of demographics charts, and none of them are gamers themselves. Worse still, they prioritize away all the good and expensive stuff and give their employees unrealistic deadlines. As a result, people work long hours to the point of total apathy.

As for the BSN crowd, remember that as long as they're over there they won't be over here.

SystemShock7 said:
... speaking of Mass Effect: Origin was running a sale for ME3 for less than $9 US, so I went ahead and bought it,and I tell you, now I understand why the fans of the series were pissed off. But for $9, I spend more than that in a movie and pop corn, so not bad at that price, but still, some of the plot holes, the dramatic deaths, the choices... lots of WTF! moments,

How did you like the fact that Udina is a Cerberus agent? Didn't see that one coming did ya?

Guest 2013460

I think making everyone bisexual was a mistake. And the fact that the relationships are the same whether you choose to play Man or Woman is just extremely shallow.

slimgrin said:
Almost spit my wine out on my keyboard...

Writing characters for the sake romance instead of plot. It never ends well.
That was exactly how my game went. I had no idea what the hell was going on. When I found out Garrus was available in ME2, I backtracked and started telling crew members off lest they molest Shepard in her sleep, or the other way around. I hated both Kaidan and Ashley and found Liara creepy. Then they turned Tali into a creepy stalker by ME2 also, and female Shepard practically licked her gun every time she got near Jacob. Bah. Games would have been better without that maze of uncanny valleys.

Thothistox said:
How did you like the fact that Udina is a Cerberus agent? Didn't see that one coming did ya?

Funny that you mention that, because that is one aspect of the plot they got right: it made sense that Udina either aligned with Cerberus or that he was with Cerberus from the beginning, given how the character was developed up to that point.

GibbGeralt said:

Triss and Shani. What I like about the series is every prospect can be a fuck buddy and nothing more, though I suspect things will get tricky in TW3. I hope to god they've played the ME series to understand how to avoid sappy melodrama.

sidspyker said:
Well we could count Triss....
Yeah. Maybe. Compared to the relationship between Geralt and Yen had in the books, the relationship Geralt has with Triss or Shani feels more like a casual fling. imo.

eskiMoe said:
Yeah. Maybe. Compared to the relationship between Geralt and Yen had in the books, the relationship Geralt has with Triss or Shani feels more like a casual fling. imo.
"I lost me memory, let's do the no pants dance."

Top Bottom