Did He, Really? {Claims that Keanu played CP2077)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems not to be the case. A little more red on the hype ledger methinks.

Excerpt:

What might come as a surprise to some is Reeves admitting he doesn’t play video games, even Cyberpunk 2077, which he’s only seen in demonstrations. That’s a little different from what CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kiciński said last November when asked if Reeves had played the game. “Yes. Yes. He played the game. But as far as I know haven't finished yet. So -- but definitely, he played the game and he loves it,” claimed Kiciński.

Well that's embarrassing ins't it!

Especially when CDPR said;
1639437957098.png

This is the sort of thing that people point to when they say; "CDPR lied".

"Devil's advocate"
Keanu said that he didn't play Cyberpunk to avoid any question about Cyberpunk, above all in an interview where he was guest to talk about The Matrix Awakens.
"You played Cyberpunk?"
"No. next question, thanks!"

Last edited:
Or, he was being honest and he hasn't played it, or any other video game like he said in the interview?
Or it was a "polite and well-worded" response to say that he would only talk about The Matrix (not released so he didn't play it) and no other games.
Like I said : No, I don't play video games ! Next question... :)

Or, he was being honest and he hasn't played it, or any other video game like he said in the interview?

Not that it really matters, and to be clear I do agree with you that that THAT was embarrassing for the spokesman if we compare one statement to the other like that.

However I cannot help but wonder two things...

Misunderstanding from English translations maybe? Was that interview from CPDR in English or some other language?

And I very much find it hard to believe that Keanu has not played ANY games. Even if he is not not a "gamer" with games like guitar Hero, pokemon go and those sports games designed for exercise or simulation (like the golf games) I would bet a weeks salary he has played some games. So his statement may have been misquoted or badly quoted as well or misspoken (Keanu mis spoke is what I mean, everyone does that sometimes) if it was a live interview.

Eh... what ever it is a silly thing to continue with when there is so many other CDPR juicy stuff that has more meat. :p

Last edited:
"Devil's advocate"
Keanu said that he didn't play Cyberpunk to avoid any question about Cyberpunk, above all in an interview where he was guest to talk about The Matrix Awakens.
"You played Cyberpunk?"
"No. next question, thanks!"

I get that you try to defend the game no matter what around here but did you even listen to the interview?

It is beyond obvious that Keanu isn't trying to avoid the question. C'mon man...

As for the OP. I saw this a day or so ago. It's obvious he didn't play the game and probably has no intention of ever playing it but, frankly, it doesn't matter. Whether Keanu played the game or not isn't something I care about.

What I do see is a pattern. A pattern of Kiciński, specifically, saying things that will look good regardless of what the reality is. It increasingly feels like information doesn't make it up the chain (or used to didn't make it up the chain) the way it should've.

Or it was a "polite and well-worded" response to say that he would only talk about The Matrix (not released so he didn't play it) and no other games.
Like I said : No, I don't play video games ! Next question... :)

Well if you want to bend what was said, and sort of ignore that there was a section of the interview about it and VR, sure.

But what was actually said was;

TV: Do you play video games?
KR: No
TV: No, really?
KR: No
TV: Even Cyberpunk?
KR: No, I mean, I've seen demonstrations, but I've never played it.

I'd say that, since he said that he hasn't played it, that sort of means that he hasn't played it .. :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

Not that it really matters, and to be clear I do agree with you that that THAT was embarrassing for the spokesman if we compare one statement to the other like that.

However I cannot help but wonder two things...

Misunderstanding from English translations maybe? Was that interview from CPDR in English or some other language?

And I very much find it hard to believe that Keanu has not played ANY games. Even if he is not not a "gamer" with games like guitar Hero, pokemon go and those sports games designed for exercise or simulation (like the golf games) I would bet a weeks salary he has played some games. So his statement may have been misquoted or badly quoted as well or misspoken if it was a live interview.

Eh... what ever it is a silly thing to continue with when there is so many other CDPR juicy stuff that has more meat. :p

I get what you mean since many things can get lost in translation (which is never a good thing), but the interview was all in English.

If it was a Polish to English then yeah, that would have been asked in a weird way or his answer might have been ambiguous, but it seems fairly clear here.

I get that you try to defend the game no matter what around here but did you even listen to the interview?

It is beyond obvious that Keanu isn't trying to avoid the question. C'mon man...
Yeah I watch the video (at least the moment where he talk about the subject, I don't care about Matrix for now...)

But when I write "devil advocate", it's simply to propose another "possible" interpretation which is probably not the thruth.
And like @SpookyFX said, I don't believe him when he said he didn't play any games ever... Even on Cyberpunk, only few minutes/hours to simply watch how Johnny look in the game :)

But at the end, whether he played Cyberpunk or not, I don't care... I play it, it's the main thing ;)

Yeah I watch the video (at least the moment where he talk about the subject, I don't care about Matrix for now...)

But when I write "devil advocate", it's simply to propose another "possible" interpretation which is probably not the thruth.
And like @SpookyFX said, I don't believe him when he said he didn't play any games ever... Even on Cyberpunk, only few minutes/hours to simply watch how Johnny look in the game :)

But at the end, whether he played Cyberpunk or not, I don't care... I play it, it's the main thing ;)

Playing devil's advocate requires to, at least, bring up an opposing point that's at the very least possibly true....

In this case, it's pretty obvious it's not.

Furthermore, there is a vast difference between saying "I don't play video games" and "I've never played video games". The former is what Keanu said. He never said he "didn't play any games ever" just that he doesn't play video games. He's basically saying he's not a gamer, not that he's never touched a game ever. What is clear is that he's never played CP2077 and has only ever seen demonstrations. Y'know, since that's exactly what he says.

With that said, it is pretty irrelevant whether Keanu is playing/has played the game or not. On that, we agree.

Maybe Keanu lied to Kiciński.
Maybe Keanu farted and Kiciński thought Keanu was playing a song featured in the game (they all sound sh!t to me).
Maybe Kiciński tought Keanu would eventually play the game and that he would like it, just like he tought the game would run amazingly at release.
The possibilities are endless, most important thing is that The Matrix demo on PS5 and Xbox look so much better than Cyberpunk 2077. Lets hold that as the standard for the now-gen upgrade for CP2077.

But that is literally not what he said though, unless you are saying KR is straight up lying in that interview? And there would be little to gain from telling such a lie too, sort of pointless really.

But yes, it doesn't matter if KR played it, as long as those who are playing it are enjoying it (y)

But that is literally not what he said though, unless you are saying KR is straight up lying in that interview? And there would be little to gain from telling such a lie too, sort of pointless really.

But yes, it doesn't matter if KR played it, as long as those who are playing it are enjoying it
Not really "lying", but say something inverifiable with a smile to cut short any discussion on a subject that you want to avoid. Basically, "la langue de bois" in french (doublespeak in english I think), a very widespread practice in politics, in France at least.
Well maybe it is me, but when I see the face of the interviewer when Keanu answers this question, that he expected another answer or at least more developed answer (at least better than "No, I don't play video games").
Or even more "vicious/smart" by the interviewer, he already knew Keanu's answer in advance and only add "even on Cyberpunk" to make his interview a "viral" one (what seems successful, even those who don't care about Matrix speak/write about it).

But yeah, at least, it's another thing who make some clics&views for "content creators" and make ad for Cyberpunk (even a "bad/wrong/useless" ad is better than no ad at all).

Last edited:
Usually, it is quite common for voice actors to claim to have played the game and also to have enjoyed it. A while ago, there was an interview with Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), where he did this while it was blatantly obvious that this guy is no gamer. It's similar to actors saying in interviews they like their newest film even though they think it's a pile of fuming manure. I think Johnny Depp once stated that he had never seen any of the movies he played in, while I guess he mentioned in other interviews to have liked his most recent film.

With that out of the way, it is usual PR speak to say important voice actors play and enjoy the game and thus far most (every?) studio has done that, because it boosts the perception of the game without any downsides. They probably have the voice actor jump around in the game for a minute and then they can make this statement without actually lying.

Also, similar to the possibility @LeKill3rFou pointed out it might be possible that Keanu was contractually obligated to talk about Matrix and Matrix alone and to cut any other discussion as short as possible. This could have also led to the statement.

Personally, I think Keanu's answer of not having played video games is sincere. Not every actor is a gamer and if you want a gamer you need to cast Henry Cavil. That guy was asked whether he played Witcher on PS or XBOX and he answered to have played it on PC obviously.

yea not at all suprised by this. While i think it doesnt matter that much its kinda telling that they feel the need too say he did and that he loved it. Doesnt really make any sense if it does nothing and is irrelevant too say he did. Its just stupid marketing, especially if you can get caught in the lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom