Did over ambition harm Cyberpunk 2077?

+
CDPR cancelled the release trice, wasn't it? Why? Because the game wasn't ready.
Fans kept pushing for its release asap,, now you get what you paid for, you have to deal with it.

It is unrealistic to expect games on any platform these days to release without bugs nor have issues. Fallout 76 is a prime example of a broken release. Cyberpunk is not even close to Fallout 76 in that regard.

CDPR errored with the consoles, massively and should have realistically released the PC version only whilst continuing to work on the console versions or shifted development to the next gen consoles. However that still does not remove the fact that gamers themselves overhyped the game. As stated I personally never get hyped for games nor have expectations.

I own the game on PC and the only issue I have had so far was flatlining caused by Inputmapper. Removing Inputmapper and using DS4 native support (GOG Galaxy version) of Cyberpunk stopped the flatlining.

I have so far only encountered one bug and performance overall is very good.

Are people not tired of using this excuse yet? I guess it needs to be said again, but now to CDPR fans instead of Bethesda fans. No, no one is asking for a bug-free game because that's unrealistic with software. However, there is a minimum quality standard you should be able to achieve with games. a Standard that I'd argue CDPR did not achieve. The bugs I've seen are pretty much the same as the ones from Fallout 76, so yes they released in a similar state. I also play on PC and it's far from perfect. Runs better than console but it's buggy and unoptimized. People with 3080/3090 graphics cards can't keep a steady frame rate.

CDPR takes more responsibility for overhype than gamers. It wasn't gamers idea to include Keanu Reeves as a character and have him announce the release date. Gamers also didn't tell CDPR to have incompetent management. And from what I'm reading, the devs had a meeting recently asking management what went wrong. That's not normal.

Last edited:
Are people not tired of using this excuse yet? I guess it needs to be said again, but now to CDPR fans instead of Bethesda fans. No, no one is asking for a bug-free game because that's unrealistic with software. However, there is a minimum quality standard you should be able to achieve with games. a Standard that I'd argue CDPR did not achieve. The bugs I've seen are pretty much the same as the ones from Fallout 76, so yes they released in a similar state. I also play on PC and it's far from perfect. Runs better than console but it's buggy and unoptimized. People with 3080/3090 graphics cards can't keep a steady frame rate.

CDPR takes more responsibility for overhype than gamers. It wasn't gamers idea to include Kenaeu Reeves as a character and have him announce the release date. Gamers also didn't tell CDPR to have incompetent management. And from what I'm reading, the devs had a meeting recently asking management what went wrong. That's not normal.

What you assume to be an excuse has no relevance to an individual's experience of Cyberpunk. My experience: Encountered one bug so far, had a flatling issue caused by Inputmapper (removed), hasn't flatlined since. Use native support for DS4 and the game runs on my PC and feels optimised. If you have an all singing, all dancing PC with the latest tech is irrelevant if you do not know your own hardware, nor have your PC optimised. NOTE: I do not have the latest tech. As a sidenote: no quests have bugged out.

As for Fallout 76, Cyberpunk is not even close.

The most anticipated game of 2020, not hyped by gamers? Of course it was. Cries for it to be released. What's the delay etc.

Was I hyped? No, I never am for any game, I form my own opinion of the game when playing and expect a game to be patched over time due to how complex games are these days. In my opinion a great game, not perfect but a great game.

The most buggy game I have played was Pathfinder Kingmaker. Did it stop me playing, no. Was it patched and optimised over time, yes and just like Cyberpunk a great game in my opinion.

And finally: User reviews on Metacritic, worthless, anyone can post. Had a bad day, pizza wasn't great, girlfriend left, post a review even if you do not own the game. Videos on YouTube, where the channel makes money from uploading such content, again worthless, but not to the content creator. I spent time on Steam forums with one user who had not bought the game but used both for the context of his posts, no hands on experience of the game but jumped on the anti CDPR, Cyberpunk hype train.

Last edited:
Absolutely. E
CDPR cancelled the release trice, wasn't it? Why? Because the game wasn't ready.
Fans kept pushing for its release asap,, now you get what you paid for, you have to deal with it.
Do you really think adults with +10 years in video-game business could be pushing around by whiners on the internet? Especially when their devs team were begging them to postpone the release? Please stop making it like they're victims here. They knew what they're doing, yet they decided to do so.

It might be presumptuous of me, but I believe a lot of problems stem from the fact that most devs and higher ups stopped playing Video Games. It's just a job for them to make ends meet, not a hobby they're into. Or playing modern games that are generic and uninspiring.
I believe some CDPR devs on Twitter talked about playing Horizon Zero Dawn, a game pretty to look at but that's it. Had terrible AI, storytelling, and gameplay.
They should go back to the roots, Games developed by gamers, you can see that older titles are still much more interesting to play than modern ones. Like original Deus Ex, and even their own original Witcher game. It was a believable City, with AI reacting to fights from Salamandra, citizens running into their house, guards attacking the bandits, all done because devs cared.

I think they should pause the development and take 2 weeks to play older titles, then come back and play their own game and compare.

I think they did a great job at creating so much from scratch!

But somewhere along the way, focus on making the game, and the funds to do so got mismanaged.
Leadership has probably not been listening to devs.

Yes overambition might played a role here.
But I think mismanagement and poor leadership up top is main reasons.

Hype generated by E3 and 2018 demo + getting Keanu Reeves as Johnny, two aspects that must really got into their heads. They thought hype and visuals is enough to carry Cyberpunk through the release day.

I like Cyberpunk for what it is :) , but it could be so much more than that.

User reviews on Metacritic, worthless, anyone can post. Had a bad day, pizza wasn't great, girlfriend left you, post a review even if you do not own the game. Videos on YouTube, where the channel makes money from uploading such content, again worthless, but not to the content creator. I spent time on Steam forums with one user who had not bought the game but used both for the context of his posts, no hands on experience of the game but jumped on the anti CDPR, Cyberpunk hype train.

What you assume to be an excuse has no relevance to an individual's experience of Cyberpunk. My experience: Encountered one bug so far, had a flatling issue caused by Inputmapper (removed), hasn't flatlined since. Use native support for DS4 and the game runs on my PC with regard to optimisation. Whether you have an all singing, all dancing PC with the latest tech is irrelevant if you do not know your own hardware, nor have your PC optimised. NOTE: I do not have the latest tech. As a sidenote: no quests have bugged out.

As for Fallout 76, Cyberpunk is not even close.

The most anticipated game of 2020, not hyped by gamers? Of course it was. Cries for it to be released. What's the delay etc.

Was I hyped? No, I never am for any game, I form my own opinion of the game when playing and expect a game to be patched over time due to how complex games are these days. In my opinion a great game, not perfect but a great game.

Finally the most buggy game I have played was Pathfinder Kingmaker. Did it stop me playing, no. Was it patched and optimised over time? Yes and just like Cyberpunk a great game in my opinion.

I never mentioned Metacritic, Youtube or Steam forums. That's not relevant to any part of my response. Just a non sequitur from you. I replied to YOU, and what you said. Not your thoughts about User Reviews on Metacritic.
Side note: I stopped paying attention to Metacritic long ago, this game has no baring on me suddenly caring about it.

The excuse I "assume" was used by you and most Bethesda fans. Someone else said it to you but I guess we are going to go around in circles on this: YOUR experience is not indicative of others or the current quality of the game. Just ask any console user at the moment. Your game is running fine? Great, but it's not for everyone and in this instance you are the exception not the rule.

You're right, you have to know your PC hardware. Except those that do know their hardware and it still is unoptimized and doesn't run well. I get the current trend, especially among PC gamers right now is to defend the developer to the end and blame the gamers hardware but that only gets you so far.

I did not say gamers didn't hype the game. I said CDPR shares more of the blame based on how they advertised and teased the game prior to release. Who was asking for movie stars and streamers to be added to this game? I certainly didn't and it only serves to build hype, which was CDPR's idea. Full stop.

I never said Cyberpunk is a bad game. In fact I've put 55+ hours into it. But I'm not going to ignore it's problems or those that it's not running well for. Even the more buggy games I enjoy, but that's mostly due to the modding community for Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

Last edited:
Considering that this game messes up basic things that game's with half the dev time and 1/4th of the dev team don't. No. I don't think overhype was the issue.

I never mentioned Metacritic, Youtube or Steam forums. That's not relevant to any part of my response. Just a non sequitur from you. I replied to YOU, and what you said. Not your thoughts about User Reviews on Metacritic.
Side note: I stopped paying attention to Metacritic long ago, this game has no baring on me suddenly caring about it.

The excuse I "assume" was used by you and most Bethesda fans. Someone else said it to you but I guess we are going to go around in circles on this: YOUR experience is not indicative of others or the current quality of the game. Just ask any console user at the moment. Your game is running fine? Great, but it's not for everyone and in this instance you are the exception not the rule.

You're right, you have to know your PC hardware. Except those that do know their hardware and it still is unoptimized and doesn't run well. I get the current trend, especially among PC gamers right now is to defend the developer to the end and blame the gamers hardware but that only gets you so far.

I did not say gamers didn't hype the game. I said CDPR shares more of the blame based on how they advertised and teased the game prior to release. Who was asking for movie stars and streamers to added to this game? I certainly didn't and it only serves to build hype, which was CDPR's idea. Full stop.

I never said Cyberpunk is a bad game. In fact I've put 55+ hours into it. But I'm not going to ignore it's problems or those that it's not running well for. Even the more buggy games I enjoy, but that's mostly due to the modding community for Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

I mentioned Metacritic, YouTube and Steam because it is relevant to put in perspective the anti CDPR, Cyberpunk ranting going on from non-owners. Secondly the content of my posts, like your posts are not subject to what content is included.

There is no excuse, so please stop trying to make it an issue. I am enjoying Cyberpunk, great game in my opinion. I have no interest in others experiences but you seem to want to continue to make it an issue when it is not relevant at all. Again I am not having issues with the game and on my system it is running well. Note: I only concern myself with real world issues such as covid.

There is no trend. Who I choose to support or who others choose to support is no concern of others.

Hype was also generated by gamers and who developers choose to include in their games is both irrelevant and their choice.

Last edited:
It might be presumptuous of me, but I believe a lot of problems stem from the fact that most devs and higher ups stopped playing Video Games. It's just a job for them to make ends meet, not a hobby they're into. Or playing modern games that are generic and uninspiring.

Can't play complex games if you have to crunch 100 hours a week :)

Kinda. It definitely was their most ambitious game within their catalog, technically speaking. Compared to their last entry, it has a much bigger population system and a lot more complex RPG'ish/immersive-sim systems going on under the hood. There are real-time set pieces in the dense and vertical open-world while those systems are running, there's a much bigger dialogue system.. etc. But..

..Had they not have marketed this game the way that they did. People probably wouldn't have gotten their unreachable expectations for "the most believable city in any open-world game to date" with "advanced AI" and "police system"(If you start talking about the police system, people are DEFINITELY gonna rampage in the city and treat this as a GTA clone. Don't do that).

I think the over marketing and over hyping up systems and features that are not present are what bogged this game down. I genuinely think it's a good game. Not the best 10/10 god tier. But a very good, simple Narrative-driven, Non-linear, Open-world, Immersive sim. And Marketing really misdirected what it really is.

But why they added so many side jobs and points of interests while there is almost no random encounters? Where is the exploring? You just basically go from one location to another and everything in between feels empty. Maybe instead of adding do many quests they just should have do some random encounters and more interactivity aspects? Seriously, clearing all the map is pretty boring. I don't think, I will do it.

No. There is no excuse to justify the state of the game today. So you don't have to go around too much, the fault is on developers 100%.

It has No Man's Sky vibes. That game was also marketed differently than the actual product in the first release. To the devs credit, it has been practically remade and now it matches the initial marketing more or less.

Witcher 3 also started buggy and look what it became. New Vegas is buggy af to this day and it's still one of the best games created.

I for one hope the company and the devs can weather the current stormy state of things and can do what they can to fix up the game and add more features along the way.

Nah, dont think so.

Adam Kicinski and company just walked over investors, gamers and their own developers.

Game would be in its true finished state with a year or two more of development, dont forget covid-19 probably affected a lot of production this year. They had the money, they had the competence and passionate developers with even Pondsmith saying he feels that they know what they are doing development wise.

Great preproduction and planning.

It all went to shit because of the management. This is all on them, nobody else. They rushed it and deliberately chose to ignore all internal red flags.

I can only hope Kicinski and CO realise their mistake and let developers finish the game with patches and perhaps release a "enhanced edition" like with the first two witcher games.

But that is unlikely, because they are big bois now with billions to their names.

From a shitty garage selling pc games to a multibillion corporation in 25 years, the biggest ones in Poland even slapping Ubisoft on their fingers in whole of EU.

They became Arasaka, they became the corpos.

“You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” haha, lol.

Hard to call it over ambition when your marketing for the game was "When it's ready," for multiple years.

The game clearly just wasn't ready, the devs knew it, prosumers knew it, and now everyone knows it.

The question now is whether CDPR can actually survive on scorched earth. If they get hit with a class-action they're not even likely to stay around long enough for a next-gen update, let alone DLC expansions.

"Fault of developers" ?

Easy to talk about the internet, when not working with games, amid a pandemic and pressure from superiors. It would be prudent to point this out.

Months ago, there were people involved with police, newspaper headlines for spreading hatred and physically threatening developers.

I still don't understand this 'special permission' to this type of hate speech in the group, where there are absolutely clear rules!

DID OVER AMBITION HARM CYBERPUNK 2077?

Yes, it did. And badly at that too.

The game is a mess on many fronts, not just the technical ones. And fixing all this (and again, not just technical issues) is going to cost a pretty penny, if all of it even ever gets fixed.

Top Bottom