Did patch 1.1 mess with the LOD Distance?

+
watch the video. the video shows the LOD crap that exists since 1.1 ! im so salty !

Can you post the location of this shipping container? I will try to reproduce it on my hardware. Perhaps it is some screen space thing.

I'm still on 1.06 and I noticed how car models transition from the low poly version to the high one when they're already close to the camera especially if the car is approaching fast. I don't think it's a memory or mass storage speed problem as I use a pretty fast rig. Never had that issue with 1.04

Every patch seems to brings down graphics a notch on PC (and according to what I read here, there isn't even a framerate benefit for PC users)

Interesting. So that thing with the cars was basically already happening with 1.06 but I never paid attention to it ?
And yes you are right, it's definitely not hardware related since I'm running a high end rig with an m.2 ssd.
You are also right that fps indeed has not changed on my system but it was good enough before so that's fine.

I must say the way I've been playing these last few days definitely changed : I've become obsessed with all those little details. I certainly wasn't doing that before and now it spoils a bit of my fun.
It also makes me see all kinds of things which were possibly already happening with 1.06, or even 1.03 (someone would have to go all the way back to that version to be sure).

Last edited:
Interesting. So that thing with the cars was basically already happening with 1.06 but I never paid attention to it ?
And yes you are right, it's definitely not hardware related since I'm running a high end rig with an m.2 ssd.
You are also right that fps indeed has not changed on my system but it was good enough before so that's fine.

I must say the way I've been playing these last few days definitely changed : I've become obsessed with all those little details. I certainly wasn't doing that before and now it spoils a bit of my fun.
It also makes me see all kinds of things which were possibly already happening with 1.06, or even 1.03 (someone would have to go all the way back to that version to be sure).
I'm noticing it more now that I spend more time just walking around than chasing missions / loot. The LOD system is quite a mess. Sometimes I get the 'low res' version of a pole / streetlight near me and the one further ahead has the high poly mesh.

Not to mention textures on buildings: MIP mapping has its fair share of problems as well.

Perhaps the game engine is broken, hence the problems, but I want to adjust the distance of drawing objects myself through the settings in the game! Wrong to do console = PC.

So far every patch is a downgrade for high end PC users, by the end of this year we might reach parity with conslows.

Just had a longer session and I'm definitely getting more NPCs spawning due to what seems like reduced LOD for npcs.
Regarding cars I already mentionned the fact they more often appear with low details than before.
Also can't get this impression away that pop in of objects and textures in general has increased :(

Given the number of posts regarding this subject (not just on this thread) I'm pretty sure Cd Projekt will see this.
Hopefully we'll get a reaction ;)

Various details pop up and disappear at very short distances. Outside I notice it on object mesh/texture quality, inside I see lights and fog disappear:

Got to say it does seem worse.Hope they're not going to fix glitches and memory issues by downgrading the visual fidelity with shorter render distances and similar decisions :(

I finally got around to playing some more of the game to get to Panam's questline and yeah that area with the shipping containers is completely whacked in terms of LOD. None of the LOD graphics options seem to make a difference. You can see a high detail texture loaded in on the shipping container, step forward and it will switch to a low detail texture. Take a few more steps forward and back to high detail. Only seems to apply to the shipping containers though which is odd.

Unfortunately, today's patch didn't address the LOD issues. At least not the prominent ones in this thread (Afterlife and the containers). Also tested the area around Embers, same as before. I thought some of the patchnotes addressed these things, but I might have misunderstood them.

Batak

Forum regular
Yeah, the draw distance is worse and worse afer each patch. It's very immersion breaking when you have pop-in constantly, even on a high-end PC with NVME SSD, with maxed-out settings.

My theory is that they applied the same LOD/draw distance optimisation for both consoles and PC, in order to increase FPS and stability on old-gen, but clearly PC and PS5 can handle way more than the current limit.

This should be a priority fix, even if most people don't care or notice, it's atrocious.

Last edited:
Same here. 1660S 5600X 32G NVMe. Been running medium-high mostly capped at monitors >75fps since December, but detail and object coherence keep deteriorating - objects vanishing and popping in, Z-fighting, black or white segments flashing, erratic lighting etc. I'd be happy if i could reduce those discrepancies and improve visuals even if it drops to 45..60fps.

Now that Sony decided to never put the game back on PS4 can they stop downgrading the game to run on that turd? This game currently is hilariously bad at handling LOD/pop in , cars at distance are rendered as cardboard wtf?

bad at handling LOD/pop in , cars at distance are rendered as cardboard wtf?
IMHO in most cases problem is mismatch making any detail transition an abrupt change, like this: https://streamable.com/yew2s5
Similarly with cardboard cars - it's a valid, effective and presentable technique, but the issue is them not fading into hi-res nearby cars but disappearing. Similarly many objects have different major color, light or defining shape at various distances.

The engine seems fine, it's just fed unpolished or mismatched model data.

in one sentence, the LOD atm is crap like hell.
Yes the LOD in distance is crap.
1.png

2.png

Top Bottom