Did patch 1.1 mess with the LOD Distance?

+
Yeah, I've got some distant buildings looking like they're made of flat paper haha! This in on absolutely max settings.

What I'm talking about is if you think you're seeing a bug. For example, high-def LOD drawing in for the mid-field, but then culling for the near-field. No, in that case, we're not "all seeing the same thing". I've not seen that even once. Just because I happen to see an issue, it doesn't meant that others are all seeing the same thing. Just because I'm not seeing an issue, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist for others. And even 1,000 users all seeing a particular issue would be less than 10% of the total player base just on PC.
Agree, my comment was based on the poster's observation of things appearing/disappearing in-view, which I think has been commented on enough times to not be treated as a bug for certain hardware/drivers.

Agree, my comment was based on the poster's observation of things appearing/disappearing in-view, which I think has been commented on enough times to not be treated as a bug for certain hardware/drivers.
The pop-in is simply the LOD scaling as intended. I can subjectively agree that it looked better before, or that other games handle it more fluidly. But there is no technical issue. It's just the settings managing things as to avoid other issues.

The stuff disappearing close to the player is definitely a bug. It does not occur on my system. Therefore, that is 100% verification that it's not the game that's doing it. It's an API or driver file that is misinterpreting the calls being made by the game, then rendering and/or drawing the incorrect results to the screen. That's definitely ticket-worthy, as it seems to be affecting a good number of people.

Now, it's often possible for a studio to work around this sort of issue themselves, even though it's not anything that's really wrong with their game. That might simply be the shortest distance between two points. Other times (I'd argue most often, for situations like this seems to be) a studio will simply work with the GPU developers, and a new driver version will correct the issue.

That's all speculation on my part, as I have no actual idea what's happening. The only thing I can affirm is that if it was a problem with the game itself, then every single player on PC would be seeing exactly the same issue without exception, as it would be happening somewhere in the game's code. This is not the case, so it's a bug between the game and some other system function on the PC.

To fix it, the exact cause will need to be identified, tested until it can be readily reproduced, and then a change can be made to rectify it. That is a LOT more work than many players have any concept of.

Oh no.

Why not modify lod settings and culling for medium and low settings and keeping high, you know? HIGH.

I hate when gamedevs do this. What even is the point of having OPTIONS then? What If I don't mind lower FPS but better image quallity?

No we just do the common denominator approach -_-

... and I was so happy that 1.3 is finally out.

Oh no.

Why not modify lod settings and culling for medium and low settings and keeping high, you know? HIGH.

I hate when gamedevs do this. What even is the point of having OPTIONS then? What If I don't mind lower FPS but better image quallity?

No we just do the common denominator approach -_-

... and I was so happy that 1.3 is finally out.
I've responded to this is some detail here.

What we want is not the same as what is sometimes possible. Just because I like something, that doesn't mean that it's working efficiently. Even though I never encountered any issues with something, other people may still have had massive problems that needed to be solved.

There is no "downgrade".

When I create an engine, it will almost always be capable of far more in every area individually than when I am running all parts of the engine simultaneously. An engine is responsible for more than just the graphics. It also needs to run the hundreds of thousands of lines of code that are handling random events, loot tables, scripted world scenes, quest timings, dynamic weather systems, AI schedules, etc., etc., etc. Every part of the game.

Of course, when I am dealing with just the rendering, I can go nuts -- crazy amounts of detail. As soon as I start introducing the other parts of the game, I wind up in situations where I might not be able to pull off quite that much visual fidelity and still have the system resources to make everything else work consistently and stably. Different parts of games like this do not connect like people think they do in their minds. Computer programs do not operate on human logic -- they operate on mathematical logic. These connections are not always going to make human sense. Hence, the number of distant buildings drawing in at a higher levels of detail...might be what's causing a bug that prevents a quest from triggering a flag in its script. The quest may break because the engine is too busy prioritizing LOD. The script gets postponed by the engine so much, that another flag fires first and creates a dead end, or an endless loop. In some other spot, the reason a nearby object receives a corrupted texture is because there are too many dynamic lights and shadows on-screen, and the engine can't make the call it needs to get that texture decompressed in time.

There are a million possible combinations, and a million possible ways for things to break, and a million possible ways to work around them. But it's a balancing act. It doesn't matter if a player has a super-high-end GPU capable of running the game at 4K, 200+FPS. If the engine is not able balance all of the games critical functions, then in order to fix the issue, I need to take from one area and give to another. Regardless of hardware, engines are still bound by their own code. (This is why engines for all games go through multiple iterations and versions, and new engines are created all the time -- to do what prior engines could not do.) Graphics processing is only one cog in a huge machine of moving parts. All of it needs to be taken into account. It's never as simple as saying, "Just do it this way."

So, there's no downgrade. It's optimization to ensure all functions of the game are able to execute properly. This may mean that LOD needs to be dragged in a hundred meters or so. Later on, it may be possible to push it back out again. All depends.

Or, another metaphor for this is: "Just because my Ferrari is capable of doing 210 mph, if I try to take that turn at 210, we'll go off the road an flip. Need to take that at 120 tops." Maximum is not the same thing as optimal.

Some fair points ok.

But why do need high-end PC user suffer due to last Gen consoles? Why not just lets us have the option and if its too demanding i can scale it back myself. I had build a new gaming rig in Dec 2020 with a 3070. My first play through was great even tho a lot of the promised features were missing. I had a few T pose bugs but overall it was pretty darn stable and it ran and looked great.

8 months later, the game looks and runs worse on the same machine. I don't call that optimization. You just scaled back due to the poor performance on last Gen consoles, from what i can tell. Its a complex undertaking. I get that. But i would like to have the options to push my system and not have that decided for me due to poor last gen console mismanagement. Not a demand but this is how i feel.

This is likely driver related. If on PC, please list your complete PC specs, including GPU driver version, and a dxdiag using the 64-bit option. A quick 30 second vid highlighting the issue would also be helpful.

Again, send this into Official CDPR Tech Support -- but feel free to post it here, too! (This is almost exactly the same stuff as happened in TW3. It's just part and parcel of dealing with engine changes.)

I play on a Xbox Series X and the game wasn't anything like this before, after 200+ hours of playtime I noticed the change immediately.

NO downgrade

Here's few things I noticed just yesterday in my short 2h play to check it out more.

Shadows in crowds of people (street dance parties namely) render in lower and lower FPS further they are, which is very distracting.

RTX shimmer is now so Intense I will have to play with RTX off. It looks like refraction under water almost.

When I went to check out chinatown - V's apartement, I drove to the garage, parked my car and got back out. I see 2 cars and NO people. Im looking around and after 15 seconds the area fills with people and cars as I look around (pop in outside of the camera view)

Then when inside i notice this.

20210821015239_1.jpg

See? the dots?

20210821015235_1.jpg

How about now? Broken mesh? A feature? I cant tell anymore, but it looks broken

TO top it off, I had race with Clair, there is this nicely lit scene in the sunset where she tells you more about her husband. remember that? Sunset and all - it used to be nice. When I first played it I was blown away. Now half of the shadows are missing or are so unprecise it looks like they are missing, and clair has horrible rimlight ruining the backlight of the sunset making it look like scene from fallout 3 I kid you not. No downgrade.

I mean. Yes some things have to go in order for the game to run smoother. and it does. For what price tho? I know how this works I've been playing games since 1996 and I do work on games. Games are my hobby and livelyhood.

I stand on the side of CP2077 and CDPR - I defend this, because I like what you attempted. Things like that shake my enthusiasm - you gotta understand. I'm not hating here, just cringing a bit. I want to enjoy the game I been looking forward to, I guess I already did - first two playthrus. Now it just hurts everywhere I look. But yes minimap is great now, the fact I can remap my interaction button finally, no more overbright in cars, not even little mule -> great job.

Last edited:
With multiple graphics errors like that, are you sure it's not something like the shadercache being out of sync? Maybe try to clear iit?

It's obvious that Cyberpunk 2077 graphics are downgraded and a lot. It looked so much better in launch version! I bought RTX 3090 so i can enjoy those gorgeous crahphics but now they took it away from me. CDPR rly should let our players decide by ourselves what kind of graphics we use in our game. Now I just feel cheated!
And why did they have to take away the chance to go back to version 1.06! Or is it still possible? If it is, then how?
Post automatically merged:

So please! Give better graphics back like they were in launch version! You ruined this game by downgrading it graphics and i cannot play it anymore because its just hurts everywhere i look. The immersion is utterly ruined.

Last edited:
Is there a way to go back to the version released in Dec 2020?

NM. GOG has an easy way to downgrade lol. Much better now ;)

Last edited:
@osmoopa and @buzzfunk: Could you maybe kindly share comparison screenshot so we can verify that this issue exists? If we had those we could make a much more compelling argument. Thanks :)

Nope, but I would rather say that it look like a game who wait a Next-Gen patch ;)

What people are playing on PC IS the next gen patch. Everyone who believes the next gen patch will bring graphical improvements for PC will be in for a big disappointment...

Why should PC users wait it? PC users had gorgeous graphics before 1.1 patch so why did CDPR downgraded it?!

I'm playing the game on PC since release and I haven't seen any obvious downgrade on my side (playing on ultra + RTX).
I have yet to see clear comparison screenshots from any player complaining about a "significant downgrade". The internet should be full of them if said downgrade was so obvious.

Since release 1.3 its LOD gone crazy on XBSX.

-Lights pop in 10m of the player
-Barrels on fire the same (10m)
-Buildings LOD downgraded (sometimes causing weird shadows because geometry is not yet loaded in)
-Cars , far away (headlights are on), closer (headlight turns off ), very close (headlights are on again).
- i am standing in the door entrance, the room is dark. I move one step and suddenly all lights on :)

LOD waay too agressive...

Top Bottom