Did they cut Meredith Stout's arc from the story? (SPOILERS)

+
I forgot to say this but....how the hell could Militech play such a minor part in this game when Arasaka is the "antagonist" of sorts? In shards you find hints that Arasaka is trying to provoke them into A 5th Corporate War, but you find that information in a side gig where you infiltrate a Valentino stronghold. Like...what the actual hell happened here? Whole game just reeks of cuts and compromises.

What happened to "when it's ready"?

lol they added her ending like 5 mins of work put model under water, accept her fate, move on. Guess they had no free space for Meredith because Johnny took too much GB of space.
Yeah, Meredith arc feels like cut content. We see the start & the end of the questline. We are probably missing the middle part where we explore Militech which barely in the game just like Biotechnica.
If it’s not IMO it’s bad quest design.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly this game feels like 30% of what was supposed to be there. Which I guess since it got 75 hours out of me that is still impressive, but overall despite the hours of entertainment, I don't like the game. Too many unsatisfying conclusions, too many compromises and simplifications. Too many regressions.

Not everyone likes The Witcher 3, the development it had was similarly tumultuous, but I don't think anyone can say it felt like it held back on or removed anything, especially story wise. People were honestly overwhelmed by the amount of stories, by the amount of choices that would come back to haunt them in unexpected ways, by the characters that they thought were one offs that suddenly appeared yet again with new roles and relationships forged. All of these things helped the world feel "real".

The game feels like it is constantly affected by the ghost of what should have been there, so much so it directly impedes the enjoyment of what is there. Who could have expected this from a studio that seemed to be constantly improving themselves title after title from the release of their first game in 2007.
I spent similar amount of time to finish my first playthough but most of that time was for doing absolutely boring Gigs & NCPD activities. Time that spent for high quality main quest & secondary quests are less than 50% of that time.
Witcher 3 definitely had cut content. They removed Iorveth questline, explorable realms etc. But W3 never felt unsatisfying because it has so much high quality content instead of filler like Gigs.

yep true "groundbreaking next gen RPG"
Same game have absolutely "0" water effects

Last edited:
I romanced Meredith but wasn't overly enthusiastic about it. I just wanted to know her backstory. Specially the tattoo in her neck that said "Never Again" fascinated me.

I never actually noticed her tattoo before but yes it seems strange to just leave it out. You would think that a tattoo like that would have some great significance.
Maybe she had a romantic interest that went wrong? or something? Guess we just have to hope that any upcoming dlc will enlighten us.
Really hope CDPR won't just leave it out with no intentions of adding to it, I too am interested to know more

I forgot to say this but....how the hell could Militech play such a minor part in this game when Arasaka is the "antagonist" of sorts? In shards you find hints that Arasaka is trying to provoke them into A 5th Corporate War, but you find that information in a side gig where you infiltrate a Valentino stronghold. Like...what the actual hell happened here? Whole game just reeks of cuts and compromises.

Entire main quest feels like Arasaka feels like Act I of a much bigger game which followed by Militech in Act II. Biotechnica might also be cool in a Video game. All those things climax in the final act with the 5th corporate war. Night City that we knew from the beginning, is now on fire. Johnny organize a concert to rally up people against corporations just like 2023 but this time he actually succeed because he have V on his side. In the end player character does a huge impact on the world.
That's my pure fan fiction but that sounds at least a little bit better than the actual game ... right?
Entire Velen arc in Witcher 3 was more epic than entire Cyberpunk 2077.

I never actually noticed her tattoo before but yes it seems strange to just leave it out. You would think that a tattoo like that would have some great significance.
Maybe she had a romantic interest that went wrong? or something? Guess we just have to hope that any upcoming dlc will enlighten us.
Really hope CDPR won't just leave it out with no intentions of adding to it, I too am interested to know more
Judy has a tattoo that says "Underwater where thoughts can breathe easily" which ties directly to her backstory.

That Witcher 3 DOES have by the way! A game made five+ years ago by 250+ people.

Yes ... those effects are still impressive. Even Aard sign affects the water.

Ashii

Forum veteran
I'll be honest, I was very disappointed that Meredith's story was so short. I expected a lot more, maybe even some big corpo arc with Militech, but we just got ONE mission. I thought that maybe we'll get a DLC with her, but seeing her fate is pretty much sealed if we don't help her... well, I doubt CDPR will give us an expansion for a character that can be dead.

:cry: :giveup:

oh yeah Witcher 3 is incredible even today.
Even ? Playing right now with +35 mods + HD reworked 12 + Reshade and it looks ASTONISHING.

Attachments

• W1.png
    W1.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
  • W2.png
    W2.png
    3 MB · Views: 86
  • W3.png
    W3.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
I'll be honest, I was very disappointed that Meredith's story was so short. I expected a lot more, maybe even some big corpo arc with Militech, but we just got ONE mission. I thought that maybe we'll get a DLC with her, but seeing her fate is pretty much sealed if we don't help her... well, I doubt CDPR will give us an expansion for a character that can be dead.

:cry: :giveup:
I hope that they fill the middle section of the quest with something meaningful.

Ashii

Forum veteran
I hope that they fill the middle section of the quest with something meaningful.

Same. Maybe they'll do what BioWare did. For example, if Mordin died in ME2, they he's replaced by a completely different character in ME3. So your choice there mattered, just like it can matter if they decide to introduce story arc with Militech. If Mer is alive in your game, then she'll be your NPC, if not, then you'll get someone else. It's completely doable.

I forgot to say this but....how the hell could Militech play such a minor part in this game when Arasaka is the "antagonist" of sorts?

Arasaka is treated with kids gloves in this game despite it being the Big Bad of the setting.

In shards you find hints that Arasaka is trying to provoke them into A 5th Corporate War, but you find that information in a side gig where you infiltrate a Valentino stronghold. Like...what the actual hell happened here? Whole game just reeks of cuts and compromises.

They claimed for years they'd been working on it for eight years but they'd only been working on it for four.

[QUOTE="Thilanka_Vithanage,

Judy has a tattoo that says "Underwater where thoughts can breathe easily" which ties directly to her backstory.

Sounds like the backstory for Meredith was cut in that case, which given what we have seen and know thus far doesn't surprise me.
I mean we barely even knew Meredith and the way it was handled did feel rather abrupt

I have a sneaky feeling that they cut a lot of content out in order to release the game as quickly as possible and a lot of this stuff will get added.

There is just so much stuff that feels incomplete and this is one of them. I just hope the cut content will end up being free and that we won't need to pay for it all.

I loved Merediths character a lot so I hope I'm right, I'd love to know more about her. She was the main reason I picked to play as a Corpo,

Same. Maybe they'll do what BioWare did. For example, if Mordin died in ME2, they he's replaced by a completely different character in ME3. So your choice there mattered, just like it can matter if they decide to introduce story arc with Militech. If Mer is alive in your game, then she'll be your NPC, if not, then you'll get someone else. It's completely doable.
Even in Witcher 3, if Keira died in the beginning, battle for Kaer Morhen still happen. But there are consequences of that.

View attachment 11129744
First of all, despite what Youtube & the rest of big websites say, I have been enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 a lot. When the game reaches it's heights like "Dream On" & "They Won't Go When I Go", it's 10/10. But when I see underwhelming filler quests & filler areas in the map, I am confident that this game cut so many content to throw out the game in December. One of those plot threads that I feel cut from the game is the Meredith Stout story arc. She was in a lot of promotional materials. She was announced as a romance option a long time ago. In one of the promotional images, we saw a tattoo with the phrase "Never Again" which implied that she might have a deeper backstory.
However in the actual game, her role was reduced to a fling rather than what you call "Romance". We meet her first during prologue. Then we might meet her for a short sex scene after the prologue if we helped her earlier.
Sex is a major theme in Cyberpunk stories & when it's done well, this enhances the story both aesthetically & philosophically. In Cyberpunk 2077, sex is everywhere from Sex Toys to Joytoys. However thematically, I feel like CDPR brushed off most of those themes superficially. I remember CDPR saying that sex is in the game to enhance the narrative. I agree this about Witcher 3. In Witcher, even minor romance options like Jutta, Sasha or Keira, had extensive stories & conclusions even if you didn't actually initiate a sex scene. Even prostitutes had optional dialogue options unlike the single hooker in Jigjig street with bad voice acting.
In contrast to this, Meredith feel like a plot point that we explore just superficially. Not exploring the meaning of "Never Again" was disappointing. This is really interesting because Judy's tattoo called "Underwater Where Thoughts Can Breathe Easily" gets incorporated into the story. Even the quick sex scene that we initiate feel so out of place. Symbolism of "No Tell Motel" & "Never Again" feels like this was supposed to be the final quest of a much bigger questline which tells me that huge chucks of this game are missing which allegedly confirmed by recent leaks.
Meredith is not the only character with this treatment. A lot of characters in the game feels so superficial including Fixers, Cyberpsychos & lifepath prologue characters. This game feels so departed from the quality of characters in Witcher 3. Remember Lena & attention to her story? Abundance those things made Witcher 3 rise above other AAA games.
Hopefully devs gonna add these cut content to the game with updates instead of completely forgetting them just like what they did with Iorveth.
Im curious if CDPR talked to my ex-wife when developing this character.
First time i came across her, out of habit, i reached for my phone to call a lawyer

I think at this point we all know there were a lot of things that didn't make it to the release cut. Hopefully things that feel unresolved will be fleshed out as the free DLCs drop. And my bet is that the free DLCs will be the stuff they really wanted to have in the release but ran out of time.

And it would appear they ran out of time to even make that chop clean. For example, leaving behind the files and code which can be turned on in the console, and will make a male V be able to romance Judy. Also, as examples, are things like this thread -- the feeling that this aspect of the game is un-finished.

I think that is the reality, and I'd have to agree it made business sense. Because delaying the game again would have really hurt the investors, their own company, etc. They simply tried to bite off too big of a chunk.

Compare the main story and major side quests in TW3 to this game. This game has a lot more actually -- even in its current state.

Not hating on CDPR, but simply seeing the world through their lense.

Top Bottom