Did we overhyped the game? and our hopes for future

+
I think when the marketing used phrases like;

"..welcome to the next generation of open world adventure .." - 19 November 2020 trailer (near the end)

That sort of stuff gets people hyped. Obviously it was a bit more than just one line of text, but that's an example. So much was said and shown, yet a lot did not make it into the game, and not all of it was mentioned pre-release.

An example I saw in the Crowbcat video was this quote;
" .. your never going to be in a situation where you're like "I need to get in there, I need to get in there!". Then you go and you're like "arg! I cant get in there!" because the city is so big it's overwhelmingly huge" - Patrick K Mills

Now I'm not sure if Crowbcat took that a little out of context, but if Mr Mills was referring to the general open world experience, then its fair to so that we cant get into a lot of places.

And referring back to the first quote, I'm not too sure how this game is a next generation of open world adventure? I'm not really sure what it supposedly does better than any other game. Maybe the music, as that's on point, but .. ?

I don't think we as the consumers overhyped it per se, but more like, we aligned our expectations with what was shown, talked about, and hinted at. For me personally, I was rather disappointed.

I don't think they can afford to give up they are not Bioware.
In the worst case, it would be to close the studio or sell it.
You're probably right. That would be way easier. That founder guy who leads CDPR seems like the type to refuse to give up his baby though. The board would probably have to force his hand. Kind of like all the Founders of Bioware got pushed out after their devastating failure with SWTOR. EA doesn't tolerate losers, even when they're the ones at fault. They called it "retirement" but we know it was shameful disgrace. Especially after the company went on to screw up Anthem and Mass Effect too back to back to back. So many Bioware members got axed for those failures. I think Dragon Age: Inquisition was their last good release, though it was short.

The director of SWTOR Gordon Walton even got banished to the world of Facebook gaming for that screw up. He was the fool who saw the garbage HERO Engine for the first time ever and said "I Need This!". My friends and me used to laugh our asses off, mimicking that quote back and forth, mocking how much of a dumbass he was every time we ran into broken crap the first month of playing SWTOR. Using an untested, never implemented before engine that someone else made, in the most expensive gaming production ever for its time (cost something like $200M+). He's trying to make a comeback now so many years later with some garbage medieval fantasy game. I keep tabs on him just so I can crap on him and slap him back down to the Shadow Realm of Facebook games when he tries to leave his prison. That fool should never work in PC game development again.

Bioware's not the same company anymore. Not the company we knew in the Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age 1 / Mass Effect 1 days. They fell from grace a long time ago. That's the route CDPR is heading.

Last edited:
what worries me is that they don't seem to have a clue as to what is wrong that needs to be made right...at least that's the impression that I get.
Me too.

Since the release, communication is "we will solve bugs then do "stuff"" with a very mysterious voice.
They never acknowledge posts here, and totally stopped to post about CP77 other than sorrys. This is a lockdown.

We don't even know if they will change parts of the game or let it live like this, or any future plan (MP is unsure, "rain of DLC's" may be 2 haircuts, a car and a new gun...).

They are disappointed and ack they screwed it. Ok, fine. But now what ?

There is so much different views for this game that we don't even know, if they want to change the game in the future, that it will go this direction or the opposite, or stay like it is. Some people want to make it great no matter the money they put in it, some want them to move on, some would never come back as players, some want a GTA-like, some want more shooter-looter, some want realism, some just want more boobies adult content.
I sit in the cheap-to-do immersion / balance camp + redesign of parts of the gameloop system.

What do they want ? We, as players, should be reasonnable in our hopes and views about that game aswell. We shouldn't be let to imagine mountains and wonders for this game. Gameplay is one-dimension, they won't change lead in gold like they did for Gwent with this one. The sooner they open their game to mods the better, I think.

In any case, what a pitsand those oldgen console versions are. They forbid totally new stuff (and most mountains and wonders especially).

Last edited:
Hey,
first of all, I'd like to give you an advice.
Don't do the hype!
I'v seen it more than once. We had talk like this with a lot of great games. Skyrim was one of them and it's still out there. I knew CDPR would give me a great game and I preordered without seeing a single trailer. My kids can't go to school and I don't have a lot of time, but I scraped together a playtime of about 100 h in less than two month.
Are there flaws in this game? Sure
I hope some of them get fixed, we'll see.
I think CDPR had two problems with this game: stockhoulders rioting upon changing releasedates (never thought I'd get finance-artikels at the top of my searchlist for a game developer) and trying to put this game on the old consoles.

i didnt overhyoed the game from the start, after the initial trailer six years ago, i didnt watch anything else

Top Bottom