Did you start a new game because of 'Hearts of Stone'?

+
Did you start a new game because of 'Hearts of Stone'?

I wonder how many started a complete new game because 'Hearts of Stone' was released?

I am tempted to do so. I am concerned if I am missing something that would appear in the main story? Is it irrelevant to start a new playthrough?
I know the runewright can give you some better enchantmets.

I didn't do this. I started on an existing save right before fetching 'the ugliest man alive' from the baron's place. Also because I let Witcher 3 rest for a while to avoid getting tired of the game.

Did 'Hearts of Stone' provide new perspectives for you storywise?

when HOS was released I had already played 5 playthroughs of The Witcher 3

I just did not feel like starting all over again.

but I was able to see the optional dialogues, when u do not finish the game before HOS, on youtube

i played the expansion in ng+, as soon as it was enabled, now i'm in skellige i have yet to see if there are eany new details, i have the new armors, swords and the runewords for the rest of the game

Right now, I'm on level 64 New Game Plus.
Avallac'h is waiting on the ship in Skellige. Final boss fight with Eredin awaits.
I will stop here and back up my saved games. My Witcher is armed and dangerous.
That bandit captain won't stand a chance...
This I know.
:thumbsup:

Well, I thought I would, but then I figured it's really a whole different storyline and I just wanted to experience it as soon as possible. So I just loaded my latest save (right after completion of the base game) and jumped into HoS - which turned out to be absolutely amazing, by the way.

I think I'm going to do the same thing with BaW and maybe, just maybe I'll do a whole new 2nd playthrough sometime later with some useful mods and playing on Death March. But I'll only do it once I'll have my new PC (not sure when - or if at all - it's going to 'happen'), since currently I'm playing on low-med and not even full HD... been enjoying the game immensely still.

I wanted the full experience & luckily kept a save file from just after I had just finished the game the first time round & before NG+ so it was around Level 35. Glad I did it as everything matched up & it was much more of a challenge then after I had finished it I then did HoS again with my NG+ Level 70 Geralt.

Nope, I finished the main story on my first play through in November and just picked up the DLC on Friday and continued from my most recent save. Once I complete HOS I will probably take a break to the next dlc and continue my adventure. Me personally I am not a huge fan of multiple play through's.

Last edited:
I had started my NG+ just after NG+ released but stopped in White Orchard before the expansion came out.

When I came back, I was determined to just continue through till Expansion level and do it then, but I had already gone through the entire story 4 times before, got haflway through the main story before I decided I'd rather just backup my NG+ saves and restart the one I took to NG+ and just start it there from the end of that playthrough. I think it was a better decision and thoroughly enjoyed it.

When HoS came out, I was in the middle of NG+, which was useless at that time. So I played HoS only at first, but I didn't get everything out of it that time. I didn't have Gwent cards or money enough to fully enjoy it. And I didn't want to "waste time" collecting those at that time, 'cause my main focus was to play HoS again and properly with my NG+. First HoS alone was just something to do while waiting the next patch to come out and fix my broken NG+.

I started HoS second time during that NG+ and before going Isle Of Mist. I was hunting those few extra dialogues (nothing super special, but nice). And it was nice to have those runewords early. You don't NEED those runewords to complete game, but those are still fun to have with.

IMO It's pretty much the same if you play HoS last or start it before the Isle quest. I think those runewords come in handy with Blood And Wine, not so much with base game.

I wonder how many started a complete new game because 'Hearts of Stone' was released?

I am tempted to do so. I am concerned if I am missing something that would appear in the main story? Is it irrelevant to start a new playthrough?
I know the runewright can give you some better enchantmets.

I didn't do this. I started on an existing save right before fetching 'the ugliest man alive' from the baron's place. Also because I let Witcher 3 rest for a while to avoid getting tired of the game.

Did 'Hearts of Stone' provide new perspectives for you storywise?

You get just 1 line in the main game of someone mentioning the mark, that is it.

You get just 1 line in the main game of someone mentioning the mark, that is it.

Thanks. That is a relief to know.

The game I continued with had the goal to let Ciri become empress in the end. I was affraid I would loose something if I went on from the point I left it.(just before getting Avallach from the Red Baron).

I also think it is a good idea to play Hearts of Stone after ending the main story because the game becomes 'empty' without the main characters. But on the other hand ii's a bit unrealistic having raiders and outlaws scavenging the country after Nilfgard won the war?

But it's nice to know I don't miss anything important. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Today I will start a new game.

Last edited:

You also get one little story in the auction house with old lady. And someone mentioned somewhere (next link) that you can talk with Vesemir too about that same subject (I missed that but got the old lady story). But that's nothing super important, just an interesting little detail about Vesemir's past. Watching it via You Tube works just as fine, if you don't want to start HoS "too early".

Next thread INCLUDES SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/61642-Hearts-of-Stone-done-before-Isle-of-Mists

At the end I managed to start HoS before the Isle, but it took few hours of really boring grinding with ? marks. Was it worth it? IMO yes, but I think everybody doesn't want to do it because the "prize" is so little.

Finished the main storiline and dive into HoS myself.
Hope I'll try a complete new playthrough when Blood and Wine's out. On a Death March.

I have also started HoS after completion of main story on new g+ but i regreted that decission later, when i had no responses available in some dialogues because the game was set in act3 after king Radovid was death. I wish i could have told shani i am with Triss/Yennifer or the 3rd real romance option instead of just a vague 1 night thing. The whole scenery that is happening at wedding let me belive that Geralt is much more serrious about being with Shani than for example with Keira Metz.

Other than that nice experience overall.

I've played it several different ways trying to make it fit as best as possible. There are positives and negatives playing it post main story or during the main story. I tried to fit it in right after getting back with everyone to Dandelion's place and spacing out the final preparations points in between, and having Triss and Yen doing the trick on Geralt and then he has the thing with Shani afterwards. But HoS is such a big story it kinda distracts from the main. In my current NG+ I may try to do it before Ugly Baby (or Isle of mists) and not get involved with Triss or Yen, breaking both off completely.

You also get one little story in the auction house with old lady. And someone mentioned somewhere (next link) that you can talk with Vesemir too about that same subject (I missed that but got the old lady story). But that's nothing super important, just an interesting little detail about Vesemir's past. Watching it via You Tube works just as fine, if you don't want to start HoS "too early".

Next thread INCLUDES SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/61642-Hearts-of-Stone-done-before-Isle-of-Mists

At the end I managed to start HoS before the Isle, but it took few hours of really boring grinding with ? marks. Was it worth it? IMO yes, but I think everybody doesn't want to do it because the "prize" is so little.

I beat HoS before traveling to Isle of Mists, and no, in fact, you're unable to bring up the woman to Vesemir back at Kahr Mohren...

I had finished W3, and then started NG+ just before HOS was released. But when it was, I downloaded and installed it, and yes there are a few dialogue differences, as in what you can reply or ask. Though so far, I've had about 3 of them. I've just got to Skellige. But it was nice to see that the options were there, and that this isn't just an 'ad on to the end', but something that provides more information in some cases.

I want to leave everything to do with HOS till I finish the game, but I can already see that is going to be hard, since I'm already level 54. I'm over-levelled for where I am in the story, and I just don't want that for HOS. But it seems it's very easy to be over-levelled in W3, which is a little sad, as I have quests that are in the low 40's, and i'll never be able to use the basic Wolf armour, as I STILL can't get to Kaer Morhen (sheesh, that is SO annoying!).

But I'm hoping that all the HOS quests will stay blue, and I can tell them apart, and I'm trying to just stay away from the new areas that have opened up, though I dearly wish the question marks were also in blue, so I knew to stay away from there.

But I'm hoping that all the HOS quests will stay blue, and I can tell them apart, and I'm trying to just stay away from the new areas that have opened up, though I dearly wish the question marks were also in blue, so I knew to stay away from there.

Those are always marked in blue, so no worries :)

Top Bottom