Did you use a walkthrough first time through?

+
Did you use a walkthrough first time through?

Ive just got to Chap 2 and its sooo tempting to read a walkthrough so I dont miss anything..but doing that kinda ruins it. I rarely play games through more than once and a game like this where theres loads of different choices its tempting to see what the differences in choices do so i dont miss out on the best stuff or whatever.

This game is well worth playing through more than once. That being said, I would suggest, if you favor walkthroughs, then save VERY often, and when you realize you are at the end of a chapter, check the walkthrough for any quests you have missed... there are a lot of tasty little sidequests in this game, to be savored. I did not use a walkthrough on the first play, now that I am on my repeat plays, I use the walkthrough so that I dont miss anything. This game is textural enough, and the story is rich enough, its worth multiple playthroughs. And the different choices, give you dramatically different experiences... makes it almost an entirely different game. The best stuff in this game, IMO, is the immersion.

The choices you make change the experience, all the quest makes it every time. The fact that each npc has their own script, you can meet them in different spots every time you meet them. You could be surprise sometimes:) . Many things in this game, even the talents and the potions can change the game for you. And now, you have all those extra adventures ( i've been told that i figure in one and i will have to do the voice over). Really, this game worth taking your time to play it while keeping in mind that it will be your first of X time thru :) I know that my father that will turn 60 soon is at his 12th time, not counting the extra adventures. just look around on the forum and you will find out that the majority of the members have played it at least 3 times.... The only member/fan that is a real shame is your host.... i never went further than a couple of steps into Act 2 and that, after 1.5 years owning the game. If you count how many times the people i have directly or indirectly helped playing it(thru tech support), i would probably be close to 50K time MINIMUM :) Mobi :)

I might play through more than once..depends how much i like it. First time though Im gonna try and avoid any walkthroughs except for the first chapter :whistle: I noticed at the start on the main menu you have the option to do these new EE quests seperately or start the original game. Im guessing they are included in the original game for this edition anyway?

No they are included with the installation of EE but, they are stories that don't really fit with what you already played.There are also other DLC made by teams from the forum and, well as what i understood, can be as long as the main storie :)

No, I didn't use a walkthrough the first time through, and I'm SO glad I didn't.Using a walkthrough makes it clear that you're playing a game, whereas one of the game's biggest strengths is the ability it gives the player to get lost in what's happening. There are some interesting plot twists where the surprise would be spoiled if you consulted a walkthrough. And part of the fun of this game is figuring out what to do based on limited information ... and then see what results. If you consult the walkthrough ahead of time, you'll get the best possible result, but you'll miss the excitement, the sense of anticipation, and the feeling that what happened is REAL.In Chapter 2, the player is present at an autopsy, and depending on what you do there, you can get one of three different answers: what I think of as the obvious answer, the moderately subtle answer, and the very subtle answer. The first time through, I got the moderately subtle answer, which led to a big surprise at the end of the chapter. I could have read the walkthrough and gotten the very subtle answer, but I'd have missed something cool. That's only one example; there are many others.I've played the game five times, and I enjoyed all five times, but there's nothing like your first time, when everything is new, and you don't know what will happen. I really, really wish I could play it again, NOT knowing what I know now. Please, don't ruin that first-time experience for yourself -- forget the walkthrough!And, if you get stuck, people here are willing -- nay, eager -- to answer questions in order to unstick you; you don't need a walkthrough.

I I didn't use a walkthrough on my first exploration of the Witcherworld. From time to time when I was stucked in a quest I read the forums or asked for help but just for that part of the game. I made many saves and stored them in an extra folder "first tour". Then I played again and checked a walkthrough and checked my "first tour" saves... made quite a lot of weird things ;D and of course missed a few side quests and exciting convos with NPCs. But it was worthwhile and I still keep my "first tour" saves 8)

For my first play-though in any game i don't use walk-throughs ... i prefer to discover stuff for myself.That said, some games are so badly made that i am forced to use some backup documentation to complete them -- the witcher was NOT one of those ;) -- while i missed a few things the first time around, i only missed about 3-4 quests in the entire game ... i missed more of the loot.also, when i first played the witcher, there really wasn't much of anything out there -- that's why i went wiki-mad ;D

Corylea said:
In Chapter 2, the player is present at an autopsy, and depending on what you do there, you can get one of three different answers: what I think of as the obvious answer, the moderately subtle answer, and the very subtle answer.
Do some of the books give u more choices if u have read them? Like I know theres a book called "Medical Knowledge and Criminal investigations" or something so would that help that quest? Alot of the books seem pointless in buying especially if u dont have much cash!

Nah. My first time through was blind. And with the poor dialogue and random crashes of 1.0 as well ;)I missed quite a few little side-quests (including most from the Temple District in Act III because I thought I was done there).On the whole, I did pretty well - I didn't have trouble understanding what I needed to do (although I had trouble finding a certain "midday bride" in the fields ;))I didn't even fail to find the right culprit in Act II either! Some storyline I didn't get until my second time over, but in retrospect if I had played TWEE on my first go, I don't think I would have had this trouble.So on the whole, not bad. A warning to those who hit the walkthrough from day 1: YOU'LL RUIN THE EXPERIENCE! :wall:

liveinabox said:
liveinabox said:
In Chapter 2, the player is present at an autopsy, and depending on what you do there, you can get one of three different answers: what I think of as the obvious answer, the moderately subtle answer, and the very subtle answer.
Do some of the books give u more choices if u have read them? Like I know theres a book called "Medical Knowledge and Criminal investigations" or something so would that help that quest? Alot of the books seem pointless in buying especially if u dont have much cash!
You need the medical book "Forensic medicine" for "Anatomy of a crime", you can likewise talk to Vincent Meis to "share his knowledge" in this case, I think it's sufficient.Not all books are necessary to buy and read. Some give you glossary entries and have interesting background information but you can finish the game without reading them ;)

Never really needed a walkthru.I like to leave no stone unturned, try talking to every NPC and the quest map system of showing you exactly where you need to go most of the time works pretty well.

MR said:
Never really needed a walkthru.I like to leave no stone unturned, try talking to every NPC and the quest map system of showing you exactly where you need to go most of the time works pretty well.
That's exactly the proper method of playing a game like this, and I applaud your thoroughness. Unfortunately from what I've seen, a large number of gamers new to TW aren't patient enough (or perhaps even confident enough?) to try the game without a walkthrough for even the first time around. Its sad really, because it ruins the surprises in the game. I mean some aren't even content to just use a walkthrough or forum to answer ONE specific problem they have so they can continue on by themselves, rather they seem to read ahead, spoiling plotlines - and I have read them admitting to this, saying "I've been reading about this, and want your opinion on that, before I attempt it."I like helping others with the game, but implore those out there to try it themselves, and if they have trouble, then come back to us.Maybe I'm just ranting in my semi-asleep state. :sleep: I'll finish with this: there is no quest-related (non-bug) storyline problem which cannot be solved either by loading a previous save and talking a different approach, or just living with the consequence of you action(s) and playing on. Walkthroughs are definately not necessary for noobs, nor are they (in my opinion) recommended, for they ruin the plot of a game of which its true strength is its storyline. Try to do without such guidance, young witchers!

Chuckles said:
Chuckles said:
I mean some aren't even content to just use a walkthrough or forum to answer ONE specific problem they have so they can continue on by themselves, rather they seem to read ahead, spoiling plotlines - and I have read them admitting to this, saying "I've been reading about this, and want your opinion on that, before I attempt it."
yeah I did that..im still on Chapter 2 but i pretty much ruined the investigation part as i read who the gulty one really is! :wall: No more though, from now on if i get stuck im gonna post about it rather than look at a walkthrough.

PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
You need the medical book "Forensic medicine" for "Anatomy of a crime", you can likewise talk to Vincent Meis to "share his knowledge" in this case, I think it's sufficient.Not all books are necessary to buy and read. Some give you glossary entries and have interesting background information but you can finish the game without reading them ;)
This game is entirely about the immersion and "becoming" the character. Is your Geralt a bookworm and big on potions? Then he spends ALL his orens on books, has to know about every plant. He's more a swordsman and alcoholic? You might need a few books, but you can still muddle through figuring out situations. There are NO right or wrong choices in this game... no matter what your Geralt is like, you will have some outcomes that will seem to be disasters, and some that seem "good". Every choice, every decision, some good things come of it, and some consequences that you would never have expected, life can seriously bite. Its not "more choices", its "different choices", and how your life is different, based on the choices you make. For the record, I tried being friends with Yaevinn instead of Siegfried on one playthrough. Different experience. not better, not worse, except MY Garalt likes Siegfried better, personally, and thinks Yaevinn is an arrogant A**. The way things go, you get nightmares from either choice. And different friends. Save the walkthrough for 2nd and 3rd playthroughs, and only so you find quests you missed the first time. The "real" Geralt didnt have a walkthrough. He was trying to solve problems, WHILE HUNGOVER FROM GETTING TOTALLY DRUNK LAST NIGHT. :beer:

Here you have a Wifes Tears potion
Some books don't have an immediate profit but the story they tell us are interesting if you take the story of Lara Dorren and Cragon of Lod. It display the gap between humans and elves. You know this conflict already but it gives the gamestory more depth

Well, I am on my first time through. Still on Chapter 1 and loving every minute! Only had the game three days and lost one of those to downloading and updating. So far haven't used a walkthrough and will try not to but am totally exasperated at trying to find a TORCH!!! Checked the forum and saw that I wasn't alone with this, but it isn't worth a trip to the walkthrough is it? So I thought I'd make a Cat potion. Only........missing two vital ingredients!!! What Ingredients I haven't got a clue, need to go talk to an Alchemist.......Ah well, played for 14 hours straight and want to get back to it but my beds calling. Haven't been this engrossed since Morrowind! ::) ::)

What ingredients are you looking for? Quebrith? ;D
Balisse fruit has Quebrith. If you don't have the herb entry for this plant yet, there is an old women in the small town at the riverside. Talk to all. In exchange for food one old woman gives info about Balisse.

Hmm, the first time I used a walkthrough for chapter 2 since I couldn't figure out what to do with the sephiroths quest and my Geralt wasn't very well-versed combat wise, so he was literally overwhelmed by the monsters, while roaming around the swamp searching for clues, and I'm not just talking about Coccadicium. I had to either read somewhere how to get the remaining sephiroths(thank you, wiki), or just drop the game. Aside from that I'm not sure..I do however, have the habit of spoiling myself every now and then when playing, mostly in other games, but maybe I did it in TW too. Whenever there's a very important decision to be made, I'd rather get an overview of what the consequences would be like if I were to make the one choice or the other, than get an unpleasant surprise. In TW, in contrast with many other games, regardless of your choice, you still read/see/hear a well-told story that makes sense and doesn't just leave you with a feel of a bitter weight in the stomach, even if it's dark by nature..I hope I'm making sense :)

Top Bottom