Difference between Blood and Broken Bones and Death March

+
...I was hoping for Death March to decrease XP gain so I'm not punished for exploration and doing Secondary Quests... I hate being lvl 15 and doing a lvl 10 Main Quest.. I'm far too OP and there is no challenge. Very boring.

Could remove all meta-info while on DM. See sig link. ~shrugs~

I find it challenging.

I hate being over leveled!... damn it all...

If you are on PC there's a mod on Nexus where you can alter the amount of XP you get from quests and kills. If then you know how to mod files (very easy to learn, there's a tutorial in there) you can either alter the amount of XP received from all quests individually.

I actually want to create a combat rebalance mod as I did for W2. I will start doing it as soon as I finish the game (I'm taking notes as I go on enemies to improve, abilities to alter etc.)

I don't like imposing superficial handicaps to my gaming experience, just to give myself a challenge. Ever since playing Ninja Gaiden, Souls' series, Bloodborne, Castlevania's of old. I'd rather have the game implement difficulties that don;t just scale enemy HP and Damage, but offer various other challenges with their own rewards.

I'm being punished by exploring this vast world of Witcher 3 by gaining levels way too quickly, and becoming so over leveled and so many quests becoming too easy, especially story quests.

---------- Updated at 08:15 PM ----------

@Amioran Sadly I went for the PS4 version due to the fact I need to upgrade my GPU and waiting for the new series. Eventually I'll grab this on PC for the mods, but for now I must deal with console.

Differences are:

1. In Death March enemies deal way more damage. Seriously, 2 - 3 hits (in the beginning) and you are dead.
2. You can not consume any food during combat on Death March
3. Enemies have more HP.
4. I find enemies SLIGHTLY more intelligent, meaning they will dodge your attacks more often and strike at better times and from your dead corners.

Aside from that, nothing I think.

guys,IN DEATH MARCH you need around i think 1000 xp to get from level 2 to level 3,therefore leveling is longer,but quests give the same xp,enemies are almost 2 shot kill and give almost no xp

going from level 1 -10 is brutal after that it gets easy again, best way i found was: get serpentine weapons,upgrade beginner armor,buy temerian armor,get griffin gear and swords,get enchanced griffin gear and swords,get ursine gear-enchanced ursine-superior ursine and master ursine

PS DONT FORGET THE DIAGRAM UNDERWATER IN THE KEIRA QUEST,upgrade that to enhanced alongside thunderbolt and your golden

Overleveling is not what makes Death March easy. I am level 38, and enemies 15 levels bellow me can still 3 shot me. What YET AGAIN makes this game easy regardless of difficulty and character level is QUEN. They made the same mistake again. Only this time Quen is even more OP, since you can regenerate stamina even if you have cast it, not to mention you can heal mid combat. Generally i'd say death march feels as hard as normal difficulty in The Witcher 2 -pre enhanced edition(as long as you fight shit on your level).

lol. i am only playing in blood and broken bones. why am i playing a couple of level lower in the main quest eapecially that golem quest with kiera. it took me a couple of hours and found the golem really hard to kill which forced me to take secondary quests to level up more. another was the jenny o' the woods which was almost impossible to kill. while all of you are playing over leveled for the main quest? i am also sad i always get green and blue mutagena only from fiends i killed. while seeing people on youtube get the red easily. also i found hidden treasures with very high level elementals or monsters. can't even get close. i dont even level that fast when exploring i'm still level 15 and i am already 60 hours in the game. lol

I still haven't found out how to be overleveled. I play on blood and broken bones, some hours into velen, and I'm still only level 5.

well in any mode you can't eat food or drink while in combat if you access it via inventory as well as potions. you have to equip it so it can be used during combat. maybe he is acessing from inventory

Difference Between difficulty settings

I can't believe I'm having such a hard time finding this, maybe its somewhere obvious and I am overlooking it? What is that actual difference between the difficulty settings? I know that the higher two don't let you heal on meditation. But what else? Do the enemies hit harder, do you hit softer, is their AI smarter, do you gain more XP, less XP?

I am not sure but I think I have read that the enemies will have more abilities/moves at higher difficulties... can not confirm this though as I have been playing only death march. Can someone confirm/disprove this?

I can't believe I'm having such a hard time finding this, maybe its somewhere obvious and I am overlooking it? What is that actual difference between the difficulty settings? I know that the higher two don't let you heal on meditation. But what else? Do the enemies hit harder, do you hit softer, is their AI smarter, do you gain more XP, less XP?

From what I have read (and will soon be seeing first hand). No healing from meditation in Hard+, enemies hit harder, less XP, bombs and oils are a must.

So strategy going into the fight, strategy during the fight, reapplying oils, and going through alcohol to regen bombs like you have a severe drinking problem.

Two lists, what I know to be fact - and what I'm just thinking -

Fact:
1. On BB & DM - you don't regen HP via meditate

2. XP per combat kill is lower on DM (don't know by how much exactly, and if it is sliding scale including BB and lower or just for DM, but for sure DM combat xp per kill is lower)

3. Higher difficulty = mobs hit harder, sliding scale. Don't know if it is linear or log, but on DM the mobs hit like a truck, on Story - wet tissue.

Opinion:
4. Feels like higher difficulty = more HP of mobs but it if so, it is a very SOFT increase. e.g. Mobs hit harder on DM night and day difference, but HP doesn't get that much increased, just by a little bit it seems

5. Only played partial play BB before resetting to DM, but had not seen any special combat moves difference. Not at least between those two levels.

6. AI does not seem any smarter, or dumber between BB and DM. My opinion is there is no difference.

well in any mode you can't eat food or drink while in combat if you access it via inventory as well as potions. you have to equip it so it can be used during combat. maybe he is acessing from inventory

Not exactly true. On PC you can eat, swap, gobble, oil weapons, what have you during combat. I believe it's a bug though...soon to be patched.

Not exactly true. On PC you can eat, swap, gobble, oil weapons, what have you during combat. I believe it's a bug though...soon to be patched.

I am playing on PC. You can do swap and use or eat anything but you cannot eat via inventory during combat. This is "during" not running away from combat and then going back.

Please take note, I said in my previous post "IF" you access it from your inventory. "YOU have to Equip" to use it during combat. I hope you did not miss that.

Last edited:
I am playing on PC. You can do swap and use or eat anything but you cannot eat via inventory during combat. This is "during" not running away from combat and then going back.

Please take note, I said in my previous post "IF" you access it from your inventory. "YOU have to Equip" to use it during combat. I hope you did not miss that.

Wow...haha I really did misread that for some reason. Sorry, you're of course absolutely correct. My bad.

I play on DM difficulty, level 12 ATM, after previously finishing the game on BB difficulty. I can't say i notice any difference regarding the experience but there is a difference with monsters hitting harder and possibly have more HP.

This is most noticeable at low levels (1 - 10) as your gear is weak and you don't have many abilities. I die mostly to drowners, even at level 12, especially if they swarm you. Mashing LMB will be punished with counter attacks, and you need to learn when to dodge and when to roll. Monsters share attack patterns so it is easy to memorize them.

I suspect the game will become progressively easier from level 15 and onwards due to gear and abilities.

Top Bottom