difference between CDPR and RockStar..

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Money is one way to look at it.. The other thing is that the game wasnt at all like they said its gonna be SOOO if they released it only on PC and people on consoles saw it they were gonna be like NOOO we didnt ordered THAT... so even though it was worse on consoles the PC version was only less buggy and textures loaded faster... the game is still beta access or hell its not even that.

The biggest difference that Rockstar has studios in key locations and spent the majority of the budget on developing the game rather than promoting it.

CDPR should've spent half of the 200M they've spent on marketing to open a studio in the UK or the US so they can actually hire the people they need to make a cross platform AAA title.

Rock star waits year(s) to port game over to PC. Dont see why CDPR had to try to release the game across every platform possible. its time PC exclusives started becoming a thing again. even if its for one year.
Cyberpunk should not have released for current, which is now last gen, game consoles. Although the deal with Microsoft would have made that difficult for sure. The issues were not nearly as bad for next gen.

Money. CDPR want money. Lot. And they did it.
Sorry, I think you read the title wrong. It says DIFFERENCES not SIMILARITIES.

CDPR should've spent half of the 200M they've spent on marketing to open a studio in the UK or the US so they can actually hire the people they need to make a cross platform AAA title.
I think they got problems hiring people with enough experience, especially coders. Who wants to work in poland for a underwhelming paycheck? And now they got a imageproblem, too.

Rock star waits year(s) to port game over to PC. Dont see why CDPR had to try to release the game across every platform possible. its time PC exclusives started becoming a thing again. even if its for one year.

Plenty of developers release simultaneously on multiple systems. The reason Rockstar release on consoles first isn't because of some grand plan to make the game perfect for PC they do it because they know they can double, or triple dip on people buying their games. CDPR are very much capable of launching relatively smoothly across multiple platforms as seen with TW3 (yes buggy at launch but nothing too unusual for games of that scale.)

Management is the reason why this game is a mess releasing on multiple platforms has little bearing on the quality of the product shipped.

No, the problem was the management, not the talent. Even they were quick to admit that.
While the management team was quite likely a problem they only have studios in Poland, relatively low salaries even in tech and not exactly the place people would want to relocate too... Check the TW3 core dev team on LinkedIn, you'll find many of them today working for Ninja Theory, Rockstar, Epic Games and quite a few others, it's not as easy to do that in reverse.

While the management team was quite likely a problem they only have studios in Poland, relatively low salaries even in tech and not exactly the place people would want to relocate too... Check the TW3 core dev team on LinkedIn, you'll find many of them today working for Ninja Theory, Rockstar, Epic Games and quite a few others, it's not as easy to do that in reverse.

Literally all of that has 0 bearing, if it's even true. IF.

Again, this is a problem with management not listening to talent saying this game needs more time. They could have the most talented staff in the world, it doesn't make a difference when you ignore their calls for more time. Do not blame the devs for the state of this game, praise them for their ability to get it as good as they did with the restrictions they were given.

Literally all of that has 0 bearing, if it's even true. IF.

Again, this is a problem with management not listening to talent saying this game needs more time. They could have the most talented staff in the world, it doesn't make a difference when you ignore their calls for more time. Do not blame the devs for the state of this game, praise them for their ability to get it as good as they did with the restrictions they were given.
If you read the GD reviews you'll see devs complaining about management making promises that not just cannot be delivered within the time frame given but were out of the scope of competency of the developers involved in the first place.

Stating that CDPR is still a Polish studio isn't blaming the developers, you can't expect a studio that cannot attract and pay for top tier talent on a global scale being able to develop a next gen engine, and a next gen gaming experience.

Pay better, open studios in key locations like the UK and US where you have a bigger talent pool so you can actually deliver on your promises. Sending 200M out of a 300M budget on marketing will sell copies on the first week but not beyond that.

If you read the GD reviews you'll see devs complaining about management making promises that not just cannot be delivered within the time frame given but were out of the scope of competency of the developers involved in the first place.

Stating that CDPR is still a Polish studio isn't blaming the developers, you can't expect a studio that cannot attract and pay for top tier talent on a global scale being able to develop a next gen engine, and a next gen gaming experience.

I see what you are saying. I thought at first you were claiming the devs working at CDPR were not talented. I see now you saying they needed more talent and were not able to attract them.

Let's not forget that Rockstar failed on PC with GTA 4 and RdR 2 on PC the same way that CDPR failed this time on consoles.

At least for RDR 2 they apologized.

All of this never generated much hate on internet towards Rockstar, guess PC gamers have a patience of steel forged over the years with bugged games at launch (Ultima X, Gothic 3, Skyrim, Witcher 1+2+3 etc...)

I'm not a fan of the Rockstar / CD Projekt comparisons - they make very different games and are very different companies.

..but I do agree questions need to be asked about launching on so many platforms in one go and where those priorities were and why.

It's a tricky situation though, because Rockstar has taken years to build a reputation of not just half-arsing a port to PC (after several botched ports), where as anyone else does it they're accused of cheaping out on PC.

I don't think there is a win for any company. It takes years to build good will, but any misteps can bring it crashing all down.

Fool me once, shame on you.

You won’t get a second time, CDPR.
I hated Rockstar after GTA 4 port on PC. I hated them so much that I even refused to watch or read anything about GTA 5 when it came to PC. But I later forgave them with Red Redemption 2, now a masterpiece on PC after it received some good patches.

Hopefully one day you will forgive CDPR.

There should not be any time or platform exclusives as far as PC and main consoles are concerned. If developers need more time just delay the game by a year or two and do a proper release. There is no need to rush these games out.

Rockstar's practice of delaying GTA V for years on PC was absolutely disgusting, I will never support a publisher or developer who implements these practices. Mayor reason why I never bought GTA V to this day, even thought I played previous GTA games day 1 on PC, even when those were delayed on PC for some time, but with GTA V Rackstar just starting completely crapping on PC players with 2+ year delay after 2 generation of console releases.

I see what you are saying. I thought at first you were claiming the devs working at CDPR were not talented. I see now you saying they needed more talent and were not able to attract them.

They are talented within the scope of their competency, it's not particularly offensive to say that Epic Games probably has a better core engine team, and they pay for it.

About half of the engine team on TW3 moved on, which is perfectly fine but it's not just on moving on it's who can you realistically hire locally in Poland and who you can attract to move to Poland.

Poland doesn't have a very developed game development industry, there are some studios besides CDPR especially for mobile games and QA but a limited talent pool and relatively low pay isn't the best breeding ground for a studio that wants to revolutionize gaming.

If give you $300M to open a studio Poland is probably not your first stop is it, it doesn't even have anything to do with their tech industry but the fact that games specifically isn't exactly a big industry there, heck Israel has one of the worlds most developed tech sector but since it has no game studios I'm sure you can find plenty of good developers there but not for game developers even if you open a studio there and can tap into a world class talent pool of programmers you don't have people with the right experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom