Difference between Cyberpunk2077 and DeusEx mankind divided

+
Difference between Cyberpunk2077 and DeusEx mankind divided

I finished Witcher3 finally. Oh my god, this game is so huge and amazing.
This is ultra super gorgeous RPG I have ever seen.I just want to say "thak you vey much" for
CDP-Red's hard work.

By the way, I'm little anxious about next syberpunk2077. Because, near future DeusEx mankind divided
wll come. These two title have similar world design. High tec futuristic world RPG, gun figting, cyborg....
I'm interested in how CDP-Red make different game design from DeusEX world.

Last edited:
Basically, Cyberpunk 2020 was more about the psycological implications of the technology and the emphasis on the setting and on the style, while Deus Ex is more focused about conspiracy and social implications of the grafts.
Interesting is the ruleset of Cyberpunk 2020, expecially this part:

"The basic rules system of Cyberpunk 2020 (called the Interlock System) is skill-based instead of level-based, with players being awarded points to be spent on their skill sets. New skills outside their expertise can be learned but in-game time needs to be spent on this. A large part of the system is the player characters' ability to augment themselves with cyber-technology and the ensuing loss of humanity as they become more machine than man.

Cyberpunk 2020 claims to lend itself to play in the street level, dark film noir genre, but certain aspects of the basic system can influence game sessions toward a high body-count, 1980s action movie style.

Although each player must choose a character class or "role" from those given in the basic rules, there is enough variation in the skill system so that no two members of the same class are alike. Because Cyberpunk 2020 is skill-based, the choice of skills around the class-specific special ability allows a wide range of character development choices including non-combatants.

The combat system, called "Friday Night Firefight", emphasizes lethality. Several pages in the rules are devoted to discussing real combat vs. the illusions often seen on TV. Attempts are made to keep the combat as realistic as possible in a game setting. No matter who the character is, a single bullet can result in a lethal wound. This encourages a more tactically oriented and thought-out game play, which is in accordance to the rough-and-gritty ethos of the Cyberpunk genre. Also, the amount of damage a character can sustain does not increase as the character develops. The only way a character can become more damage resistant is to either become better at not being hit, physically augment their body with muscle (trained or implanted) or cybernetics, or wear armor."

I hope they will manage to bring this in a videogame. I for sure don't want a copy&paste of Deus Ex.

The biggest difference right off the bat is that you'll get to build your own character, instead of playing a set character like Jensen. I assume that means you'll get to control your characters, race, class, motivations, sexuality, etc, compared with DE:MD where that's all set. Another big difference is in the TYPES of cyberpunk the two games are set in. Deus Ex is 21st century cyberpunk, it might even be accurate to call it "post-Cyberpunk". Your choices and decisions shape the entire world, and you play as a member of the establishment. CP2077 looks to instead focus on a "rise-to-power" story, where you're not trying to save the city, you're simply trying to survive and thrive. The world is also based in 80s cyberpunk, which had a lot more crazy stuff than what you found in DE. Cyborg assassins, moon and Martian bases, post-apocalyptic wastelands, laser weapons, corporations being the government instead of simply influencing the government.

There's a lot to distinguish the two games. One thing I think would be a good idea for CDPR to do, is make a Codex similar to the one in the Bioware games, or W3's Glossary, to fill in noobs on the background lore of the world.

Last edited:
i feel that the world of cyberpunk is way more crazy and fictional (which is a good thing) than deus ex
just take mega corporations

they exist in both worlds but the ones in cyberpunk are more powerful than nations while in deus ex they are not that much more powerful than the corporations today

deus ex also completly lacks the punk aspect of cyberpunk

Last edited:
What you are seeing in DXHR is pretty much the start of it though... this game is a prequal to the previous games after all, placed in an era when all these things are about to happend, where that change is happening. Also, a lot of the stuff about Cyberpunk is in DXHR as well, just because certain aspect might not have reached the full level of "Cyberpunk'ness" does not mean that it is not Cyberpunk.

I do disagree as well with that DXHR/MD lacks the punk aspect... it is there, you are just playing a character, that is working for people, who is/are not necessarily part of that aspect of life in a Cyberpunk world. Just look around you in the game, you see the fashin, you see peoples situation in life and trying to survive, you see people with views like that, and they are not necessarily the same people. But it is there.

In a way that is almost more interesting then placing the game directly in the middle of a full Cyberpunk setting... because then everything has already happened, and your far away from the next big change of the world. With that said, I am not saying that being in the middle of a full Cyberpunk setting is not interesting, it is, and there is a lot of stuff you can do once your there with the story... but the world as a whole is not going to change really based on what you do... unless that is the point of the game that things change, but then your not "in the middle of" the Cyberpunk setting any longer, then your at the end of it.

Both are "Cyberpunkish" in different way.

Tho, Deus Ex, isn't that much "Punk".
Punk is mostly about "do it yourself", etc...
In Deus Ex it plays at a Corporate Level (main character working for sariff industries, etc...), the plot is kind of "bigger than nature", and somewhat cheesy at times (you're the choosen one, the dude who don't reject implants, yay you're now more powerfull that everybody in the house).
That said, Deus Ex is Cyberpunk in the design, universe, etc....
But it's more "Cyber" than "Punk".
Everything is on a dead serious tone, corporate level, damn, you even deal with the illuminatis...

Cyberpunk2077(base on what we know from 2020), is more "Punk":
"Putting some cyber in the punk" as the book says.
You're a loser, a nobody, not more powerfull than the next person in front of you, the setting is way more chaotic, and it has a more "punk / rock'n roll" vibe.
You could easily put character from a Tarantino's movie in it.
It's more stylish, more crazy, you deal with the lowest crap of the street, you'll never reach a "Deus Ex" level, saving the world, etc... (unless you do it for a specific campaign, but still, I doubt the game will take this route)
It's more about taking a ride in this world, more than trying to change something to it.

Well, in short, Deus Ex is pretty "serious" in tone, remaining in the usual "corporate/military" grounds.
Cyberpunk is more like GTA in the mindset, something crazy, more "thug life" if you see what I mean.

In a nut shell:

Deus Ex is more of a Post-Cyberpunk setting, the focus being about transhumanism, morality and what it means to be human.
It can relate to Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed in these respects.

Cyberpunk is far more self serving and morality should be grey at best. It's not about saving the world or a brighter tomorrow, it's about surviving until tomorrow and hopefully getting filthy rich on the way.
It's pretty unique.

Cyberpunk is far more self serving and morality should be grey at best. It's not about saving the world or a brighter tomorrow, it's about surviving until tomorrow and hopefully getting filthy rich on the way.
It's pretty unique.

Well.

It's not about saving the world. Sure. But it's not just about serving yourself, either. It's not about making a quick buck and going home and screw the rest.

But it -is- about making things better. That's what separates a 'Punk from some self-serving Corp scumbag. As a Cyberpunk, you're trying to stand up to the Machine, make some space for yourself and your friends, maybe help out the downtrodden.

Even the Corporate Role description says, "You told yourself you joined the Corporation to make it a better place - work from the inside you said.But now you're not so sure.."

Medias are : "Newsmen and Reporters who go to the wall for the truth."

Fixer is "...one part Robin Hood, two parts Al Capone".

So it's grey...but grey with hope and rebellion for a better world snuck in there.

You're a Punk - not a Poser or a Joiner.

Of course, you already know that, Chris. Just making sure everyone reading this also does. And, where's Wisdom?

Another difference that comes to mind is Deus Ex is the 'cleaner' franchise, both aesthetically and with story themes. It's that punk aspect that is missing.

Like the others mentioned, 2077 will be more low-level, with the player character more likely being one of the back-alley thugs and gangers you saw in Human revolution, rather than a global agent.

Last edited:
What about the Corparate role then? Because those are also in the pnp rpg... and to me it does not seem like they would be roaming around in those types of areas all that much. And there are a few other roles I also feel would maybe not naturally roam around in areas like that, or roles that depending on what kind of character you create might naturally more roam around in high sociaty or amongst the corporate structure. I mean Cops do not only work in the "bad neighborhoods"... cops work all over the place. Then there are people who are born into those places and statuses as well.

Also... even if Jenkins in DXHR is working for a corperation, does not mean that he is "corporate" really. He is an ex Cop, that then becomes a highly payed Solo... I am sure there are a lot of Solo's in the Cyperpunk world who do not work down in the slums and amongst the masses. Those types of areas are just one part of the entire thing that is "Cyberpunk", atleast in my mind.

Now, i am sure that we will probably start in areas like that in the game... that does seem to be pretty normal for a lot of RPG's... that you start at the bottom and work your way up. But it is not always the case... take Dragon age: Origins for example... your starting possition there differed depending on what you choice in character creation. And... actually... now that I think about it... that is something I would love for CP2077 to have. Where depending on certain choices you make in character creations (one of them being your Role), your starting place in the game world, your status, etc, is different. Where "the slums" or what ever, is just one of several possible starting points.

What about the Corparate role then? Because those are also in the pnp rpg... and to me it does not seem like they would be roaming around in those types of areas all that much.

Oh, no. Low level corporates start in bad places, like everyone else. There's at least one reference to an Arasaka Rep dealing with the Iron Sights boostergang up close and very personal.

After all, someone has to carry the "corporate flag" when these unreliable mercenary scum and degenerate journalists are off the leash. Someone with ambition, someone with drive that started from the bottom!

The great thing about Cyberpunk is that no Role is immume or excepted from the dirt and the grime, at least not for quite a while.

The Street is where It happens.

I know a few corporates IRL who def. came from bad neighborhoods. They're def. in the minority, but they are there.

Also, you can truly be at the bottom of the ladder and still be considered a corporate. Ask a junior stock broker how much he makes.

Will CP2077 only deal with high risk, hardcore crimes? IRL, white collar crime is much easier, and the penalty for them is also a lot less harsh.
Sadly, if the scam is set up properly enough, it's seldom that the authorities prosecute.

In a nut shell:

Deus Ex is more of a Post-Cyberpunk setting, the focus being about transhumanism, morality and what it means to be human. It can relate to Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed in these respects.

Yes, I can recognize Deus Ex in both Ghost in The Shell and Appleseed. They have a similar tone. If you take a look at Akira you get something a little different. I think CP2077 will be more in tone with Akira. We'll see many similarities regardless and many of the themes will be recognisable. As many people have already said, it is probably the heavy emphasis on punk that'll most clearly distinguish CP2077 from Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Last edited:
Top Bottom