Digital Foundry's verdict Patch 1.07

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look, a PC vs. console war in the making. Which is off limits on this forum. It's also off topic in this thread.

So please, stop.

Yes I notice in the videos that the frame rate does fall to 20fps but the frame time seems to be more consistent. A consistent frame time should result in less choppy graphics. Older consoles games like Zelda Wind Waker runs the game at 24fps but it is smooth because of consistency. I think that is why they went for the lower frame rate.

Engine limitation/optimization aside, a current gen console is no where near a high end PC. The minimum recommended specs on PC GTX 660 is already more powerful than current gen consoles and that spec is very close to low end gaming PC. Thus the Witcher 3 is indeed pushing the current gen to its limit or very close to its limit.

Frame times might be better but It's not the same as Wind Waker when the fps dips on consoles to 20 the control responsiveness gets terrible and the animations are like a slideshow. You can call it what you will but the update just worsened the problem.

Last edited:
Plz explain fps. Is it framerate dips when the game slows down and lags, picture makes smal jumps, studdering? Forgive my bad english, hope you understand.

On PC game stutters horribly with or without RTSS. I could play in 1440p with 40fps and game was runnig pretty good without noticable stuttering (1.06). Now anything below 60 fps is stutterfast!

EDIT: I maneged to stabilized framerate at 60 fps without stutter and achieved perpetual smoothness. But, yes, at 40 or even 50 fps game stutters.

And BTW @Deathmagnetic I am not bitching about the game. I love the game. I am just ofering honest feedback to the devs. So they could make the game even better.

Last edited:
Some of the comments i've seen on here lately are shocking. Even while waiting for a patch. You constantly put devs under pressure to fix this,fix that,then rush them when they are trying to fix things. I truely believe these guys ( devs ) are trying to please everyone and sort things out. It's their first game on all 3 platforms,and first open world game too. Not only that,but these guys have stuck around and given us feedback and comments etc. You don't get that from many other devs. As soon as a shitstorm starts with the release of a game,most devs go silent. These guys have faced it head on. So a bit of credit is in order. There is so much going on in this game at times it's untrue. It's massive and still looks impressive at the same time...even on consoles. Some people need to look at the bigger picture here.

I played with an old save with the new patch the night it came out for a few hours. Went a bit around velen and novigrad and things were fine. Granted I did not go to the swamps. I have now started a new playthrough ( still in white orchid ) and everythings been fine so far. There are improvements in this patch. The graphics are better in alot of areas. Better textures close and medium range. Even the text and menu items look slightly better. The water looks a little better. The map loads smoother,the menu and items are smoother,the loading seems smoother at certain times. Geralts new alt mode is a joy to use. Way more responsive. The horse feels better,the combat feels slightly better. So far the game seems consistant. I've yet to go to velen or the swamps in my new playthrough so we'll see. But there are improvements with ths patch. It seems people are looking at the frame rates in the swamps and not much else. And for me personally the xbox one version has always been fine.

People need to see the bigger picture and be more constructive with feedback and findings.

i completely agree with Deathmagnetic.
this forum is becoming filled with silly arguments and frustrated rants, which makes it all the more difficult for the devs to go through the various topics, looking for some actual useful feedback.

even those who complain about actual issues, tend to frame their complaints in such an overdramatic manner, that no reasonable person would take them seriously (it seems like people care more about venting their frustrations than actually getting their feedback out there).

Has any dev even acknowledged the issues with patch or are they just not talking about it dont follow twitter.

On PC game stutters horribly with or without RTSS. I could play in 1440p with 40fps and game was runnig pretty good without noticable stuttering (1.06). Now anything below 60 fps is stutterfast!

It actually performs better for my PC. They reset all the settings after the update. Did you check all the options? Borderless Window, Framerate limit etc,

Felt frustrated installing the patch on GOG. Finally resolved it by manually downloading the patch. Hopefully GOG will get a better server.

Love the improvement w/ inventory like books are separated w/ food & pots, stash system looks really nice and etc.

For pc alternate movement doesn't look special maybe some minor improvement.

Here's a suggestion in next path about importing W2 save file to W3 give us some information what save file i just imported due in my 1st play through Letho is not alive but in my save file i spared him. Somewhat like Mass Effect franchise in mass effect franchise i could tell what save file i just imported. A Ui for oils telling me its usage.

not sure if its been mentioned already, but i really dont like the sorting buttons for the inventory.Ok , its better with the books in a separate tab, however if you use blade oils alot youre out of luck. They used to appear at the top of the useable tab now their mixed in with all the other potions and no amount of "sorting" puts them back on the top.I am completely perplexed by the durability sorting? whats the point of that ? A small amount of text on the blade oils would have been better , so you dont have to keep going through them to get the appropriate type for each monster.

Wrong. This game was not meant for consoles as they can't handle it plain and simple. It could've and should've existed without the consoles.

The volume of content needed for the game required the funds provided by the consoles.
Patch 1.07 shows the amount of work involved.

The problem with top notch graphics is that they need to be authored, more graphics more time to make those graphics.More time more money needed before game gets to market.

If a game take too long you're looking at salaries for 5 years. 200 people made this game. say 25% are core full time staff on an average of 25000
50 x 25000 x 5
6 million on salaries alone.

But I agree PC first and port later. Big fuck up.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. What does it matter what engine they used, the final product is what matters and the game on PS4 is arguably one of the best looking and definitely in the discussion for best performing/most polished game thus far.

Again though, maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're trying to say.

Because the UE3 is not really a resourcehog for current hardware,especially @30fps.

The volume of content needed for the game required the funds provided by the consoles.
Patch 1.07 shows the amount of work involved.

The problem with top notch graphics is that they need to be authored, more graphics more time to make those graphics.More time more money needed before game gets to market.

If a game take too long you're looking at salaries for 5 years. 200 people made this game. say 25% are core full time staff on an average of 25000
50 x 25000 x 5
6 million on salaries alone.

But I agree PC first and port later. Big fuck up.

That's the thing - I've lost interest with the game. I have some time off at the moment so I can actually finish the game. I've been playing it non-stop (at least 4 hours a day) since release for a full month. Then my interest waned because it just got so repetitive that I didn't want to start it anymore. Now for the last three days I've been playing it somewhat regularly and I'm at lvl 33, the Final Preparations quest (got only gwent quest in sidequests) while all others are completed - with that said I have 79 question marks left unexplored in Skellige. Mind you I've completed all treasure hunts and witcher contracts.

I don't even have the will to explore those ? marks because I know it'll be the same old smuggler's cache/monster den/hidden treasure - CDPR equivalent of FedeEx quests that is as much as generic.

SO what I'm trying to say is I would've been more content with their initial promise of 100 hours of playtime and gorgeous eye-candy in the form of truly next-gen almost photo-realistic graphics.

Ask your self this: would you rather be impressed by a condensed focused story (100 hours is not exactly short) and gorgeous graphics or would you rather have last gen graphics and huge empty world devoid of memorable places/quests/sequences?

I'd have gladly chosen the former because the game fatigue settles in no matter how much you want to fool yourself. This is a classic example of "Less is more" to me.

P.S. Witcher contracts may be cool at first but when Geralt basically spells out what you have to do FOR you it becomes just boring. Plus they are not that varied either: 2 vampires I think, 3 griffins, 1 water hag, 1 uber foglet, 1 troll, 1 hound of the Wild Hunt (WTF is that too), 1 forktail and that's probably it. Could've easily brought in some monsters from the 1st game like kikimore, striga, centipede (or whatever that thing was in the The Witcher), koschey etc.

Last edited:
Not just on consoles, I finally got updated to 1.07 on PC and I've noticed FPS is a lot more inconsistent.

In Hierarch Square with a massive crowd of NPCs I get 77-84 fps walking around.
Run down a small alley with 5 people and I sit at 64 fps at max.
If I go into the swamps my FPS goes as low as 45 average now.

With patch 1.06 my lowest recorded minimum was 62 over 3 hours of play. Now it's all over the place.
System is in my signature at 2560x1440

45 fps with SLI 980ti ?

Meeeh :( :( :(

45 fps with SLI 980ti ?

Meeeh :( :( :(

That's exaclty what I was thinking. I get 45-50 on a single 970 and I'm still on 1.04 (wish I've never upgraded from 1.02).

I rerolled back to 1.06 and all my performance is back. The texture popin isn't as bad anymore either.

I went to the same Spot in the swamp I was in last night and instead of my fps bouncing around in the 40's it was now in the mid 70s.
This is with everything but motion blur maxed out at 1440p
The spot is just south of Frischlow in Velen, there's a treasure and you can use the magic lamp; if anyone wants to head there.

Also someone claiming they can play fine at 1080p Ultra with a 970m? I call BS, maybe if fine is 20FPS, but you need a 980Ti or Titan X for an average of 60fps at 1080P Ultra.

http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Witcher-3-Benchmarks-1080p-GameWorks-On-.png

Last edited:
Ask your self this: would you rather be impressed by a condensed focused story (100 hours is not exactly short) and gorgeous graphics or would you rather have last gen graphics and huge empty world devoid of memorable places/quests/sequences?

Are you suggesting that The Witcher 3 has last gen graphics and huge empty world devoid of memorable places/quests/sequnces? If so, I suggest you visit a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom