Digital Foundry's verdict Patch 1.07

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
45fps with SLI 980ti ?

45fps = min? avrg? max? Also, have you tried disabling SLI? Could be a SLI problem.

Here the breakdown of my FPS after graphing it for 3 hours on 1.07 in Afterburner
Full Ultra settings inc Hairworks and HBAO+
Patch 1.06
Min 62
Avg 74
Max 86

Patch 1.07
Min FPS 42
Avg 66
Max 94

Disabling SLi tanks minimums into the 20's.
I rolled back to 1.06 and I went to the same Spot in the swamp I was in last night and instead of my fps bouncing around in the 40's it was now in the mid 70s.
The spot is just south of Frischlow in Velen, there's a treasure and you can use the magic lamp; if anyone wants to head there.
FPS is back to normal in all areas from Novigrad, Skellige, and Velen on 1.06.

Here the breakdown of my FPS after graphing it for 3 hours on 1.07 in Afterburner
Full Ultra settings inc Hairworks and HBAO+
Patch 1.06
Min 62
Avg 74
Max 86

Patch 1.07
Min FPS 42
Avg 66
Max 94

Disabling SLi tanks minimums into the 20's.
I rolled back to 1.06 and I went to the same Spot in the swamp I was in last night and instead of my fps bouncing around in the 40's it was now in the mid 70s.
The spot is just south of Frischlow in Velen, there's a treasure and you can use the magic lamp; if anyone wants to head there.
FPS is back to normal in all areas from Novigrad, Skellige, and Velen on 1.06.

That is really odd... 980ti without SLI min fps at 20? The only way I can push minimum FPS to 20ish on my single GTX 970 (1080p ultra hairworks) would be to zoom into Geralt's hair next to a wall....
18fps lowest to be exact.

All in all, I have gained fps and I no longer notice the occasional stuttering. Have played for 6 hours since I got the patch..

I play on Xbox One and that really got me upset, I think that was the only thing in the patch that made me feel that way, cause I remember playing kind of smoother in those regions...

That was not a good move, and CDPR will have to continue working on that for the next patch.

I'm not the kind of guy that will only enjoy the game at the highest performances but I appreciate a balance between graphics and fps, that was fine for me in the previous version.

Are you suggesting that The Witcher 3 has last gen graphics and huge empty world devoid of memorable places/quests/sequnces? If so, I suggest you visit a professional.

Man, I really love that cliched "visit a doctor/professional/whoever else". If you had bothered to read my whole post and not just had taken one snippet out of context you'd definitely get what I was talking about which is after completing most "lather,rinse,repeat" quests you'd see how empty and lifeless the world is and yes it has graphics that are nothing special, certainly not what was promised and not based on what people placed 1 million pre-orders for.

Last edited:
I was so happy with update 1.05; I don't understand why performance has been compromised on Xbox one; now the game sucks; is it possible to get back to 1.05? CD Projeckt, you must do something to fix this downgrade in framerate & overall performance.

This is really bad actually, I had no idea that there were framedops to 20 fps on consoles, I figured they could at least hold a solid 30. I kind of feel bad for console players now, they waited so long, and now the patch somehow made the performance even worse :( Oh well, now I'm wondering what it'll do to the PC version of the game. We'll see I guess when it's out.

I got the game for my PS4 initially but it didn't take long for me to realize that there is no way in hell that this game will ever run satisfactory on sub-par hardware. Got myself a GTX970 and am enjoying the game on PC now..in my opinion, if you play console, you just don't get the game like it was originally meant to be played.

Are blur and motion blur toggled on in this video? I heard, oddly enough, that that makes the game run smoother? Still don't have the patch where I live, can't test myself..

A bunch of games have been released on PS4 that were broken performance-wise at launch, or by subsequent patches (even GTA V). Some have gotten fixed (GTA V, Borderlands Handsome Collection) and some have not (Bloodborne - still has framerate/pacing issues like TW3). I think some of the TW3 movement fixes have made some of the framerate issues more obvious when they do occur. Yet I am still attracted to playing all these games.

Saying you'd rather play the game on another platform is one thing. But generally dumping on platforms, and the people who use them, is another. Even Digital Foundry, which at times is all too eager to crown a "champion" for each game, just wants this game to run well on all platforms. This is what I want, also.

---------- Updated at 03:08 PM ----------

Are blur and motion blur toggled on in this video? I heard, oddly enough, that that makes the game run smoother? Still don't have the patch where I live, can't test myself..

Based on a bit of testing on my end, setting these options to "off" does not guarantee frame rate smoothness.

I can't tell. Also, are they using a hard drive that spins at 5600 RPM or 7200 RPM? Maybe that makes a difference? I don't notice how the framerate became worse. If anything, it actually feels a little smoother in some parts.

the game is unplayable for me in all of skellige, it pauses every 2 seconds, and runs smooth in between but when it pauses it stops completely, turns into a still image for like a second and then runs at normal speed for 2, before it fully pauses. I mean its like 30 fps then 0, 30fps and 0. it's worse during dialogue because it gets out of synch, and the characters keep moving their mouths for a couple of seconds after they finished talking. saved some gameplay vids of this and can upload and link if needed.

They just need to make this game look like a n64 game. console are to dated, thats a fact.
Dont blame CD Projekt REd for this, hell be happy this game is even running on xbone and ps4 with that old-gen hardware, just saying.

They are ENTIRELY to blame! If the consoles could not handle it, it should not have been released at all!

How dare they take our $$$ for something that doesn't work!

And you'd say be happy it is running on console at all, well buddy since I bought this game all it ever does is CRASH. I'd be happy if I could play with lesser FPS graphics and the like but to pay money for a game and only have it crash all the time.... Well hell YES shame on this developer.

Looking like they should not have released to consoles if that's true. Shame shame shame.

Ps4 exclusives has the better graphics I've ever seen so far, better than any game on PC. So are you saying that the console is to dated? Because TW3 (nothing more than cool graphics despiste its large open world) runs at f***** 15-20 fps? CDPR should do the same as Warner Games with Batman on PC. This game is completely broken on PS4. And there is the lies, oh the lies...not buying season pass, not suporting this company in the future.

Ps4 exclusives has the better graphics I've ever seen so far, better than any game on PC. So are you saying that the console is to dated? Because TW3 (nothing more than cool graphics despiste its large open world) runs at f***** 15-20 fps? CDPR should do the same as Warner Games with Batman on PC. This game is completely broken on PS4. And there is the lies, oh the lies...not buying season pass, not suporting this company in the future.

The funniest is that people still believe CDPR when they say they will fix the bad framerate on upcoming patches lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom