DirectX 12 ready?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no more game with DX9 since a while, all games being developped under DX10/11 since almost five years now. Only really old games still run on DX9, and upcoming new titles will probably run with DX12 in a few months, but I think it's a bit early for The Witcher 3 since we don't know when DX12 will be released yet, and most users won't upgrade to windows 10 soon.
I would love the game to support DX12 but won't change my pleasure playing it anyway.

I think it is not true. Games are still going out for xbox360, and xbox360 means DX9. So most pc games are still working with dx9. The fact that most of these games are not released for xp... is something out of my mind, cause developed for xbox360 means easy port to it.

I think it is not true. Games are still going out for xbox360, and xbox360 means DX9. So most pc games are still working with dx9. The fact that most of these games are not released for xp... is something out of my mind, cause developed for xbox360 means easy port to it.

If only it was that simple.
Why would developers want to be held back by XP and DX9 instead of moving forward?
Technology is evolving and people should more forward with it. You can't be stuck in the past forever.

If only it was that simple.
Why would developers want to be held back by XP and DX9 instead of moving forward?
Technology is evolving and people should more forward with it. You can't be stuck in the past forever.
Well, developers takes a lot of considerations, and between them the size of the market. Yes, you need to evolve, but you have to sell, too. I think it is not as simple as saying "wow, dx12, it can be fun".

Well, developers takes a lot of considerations, and between them the size of the market. Yes, you need to evolve, but you have to sell, too. I think it is not as simple as saying "wow, dx12, it can be fun".

The adoption of DX12 will take some time, just like DX10 and DX11 did. It won't happen on release, but the speed of this adoption will depend on the features they add and how the Windows 10 adoption is progressing. It's just business as usual. :)

The free Windows 10 upgrade will be a great incentive for a lot of people to do the jump, thus making in more attractive to developers.

One of the key difference is a lot of DX12 features is already supported in the DX11 cards. Earlier DX had the one issue where you most definitely needed new hardware.

Nope. Crysis 3, AC Unity, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, etc... all those games run in DX11.

You haven't been paying attention then. XBOX360 doesn't use DX9. In fact it has no API, it's direct to metal as in running on that hardware.

As for XP. It's effectively dead. Windows has 95% of the entire market share on PC given Steam statistics. The thing is XP only has a measly 4%, which is in the eyes of the developers utterly irrelevant.

Just a bit over 77% of the entire market is Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on 64 bit. If I add in the 32 bit versions of that same Windows it goes up high to 90%, but developers are increasingly not giving a shit about 32 bit and not making gave versions for it.

It's quite easier for them to port games to 64 bit windows then it is to 32 bit, because the current gen consoles have a lot of memory compared to last gen, 8 GB to be exact, and going from 8 GB to a limit of 2 GB on 32 bit is just not worth it for them. Since Windows XP is mostly 32 bit in terms of it's market share then devs don't care about them.

As for sales. The reality is PC game sales are at their highest point yet. It's a fallacy to assume that making a game run on the largest number of possible hardware configs will increase sales. The truth is that in the western PC GAMING market the vast majority of people have a DirectX 11 card AND 64 bit WIndows and that's their main market for income for PC. On markets outside of North America and Western Europe + Russia people generally have less powerful machines, but they are not markets that count that much.

Last edited:
The free Windows 10 upgrade will be a great incentive for a lot of people to do the jump, thus making in more attractive to developers.
Right, the 'free' upgrade. After the first year you still have the pay the subscription model thing M$ has.

Anyway, I think it's still way to early for TW3 to implement DX12. Doubt it can be implemented with a patch, I'm not even sure the engine supports it.
My guess is, if we see DX12, we will see it at the earliest in the Cyberpunk game.

One of the key difference is a lot of DX12 features is already supported in the DX11 cards. Earlier DX had the one issue where you most definitely needed new hardware.

Well, that's what nvidia tells us. And I wouldn't bet too much on statements coming from nvidia given the events and reveals in the past few weeks...

---------- Updated at 10:35 PM ----------

Nope. Crysis 3, AC Unity, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, etc... all those games run in DX11.

Well, for what it's worth: AC Unity isa next-gen only game. ;)

---------- Updated at 10:36 PM ----------

Right, the 'free' upgrade. After the first year you still have the pay the subscription model thing M$ has..
Ahem, no. MS confirmed multiple times that the free version will stay free. Forever. Get your facts straigth before you make such obviously false statements...

Well, that's what nvidia tells us. And I wouldn't bet too much on statements coming from nvidia given the events and reveals in the past few weeks...
That's what everyone has told us, nothing to do with Nvidia. DirectX11.3 is planned for the sole reason of bringing some of DX12 features to 11 for example and the company is using existing DX11 hardware to showcase performance.

The current hardware obviously doesn't have ALL of DX12's features since as I have said countless times before, the spec simply isn't ready yet, feature levels not finalized but it's already known that those are separate from the CPU benefits which is basically finally letting us use all our system cores in parallel as opposed to DX11 which does it 1 at a time.

Here is a poor drawing I just made

Last edited:
Ahem, no. MS confirmed multiple times that the free version will stay free. Forever.

Actually he's right, Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Win 7/8/8.1 users for the first year, but MS have come out and said that payment beyond that first year will not be subscription based.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-deliver-free-windows-10-upgrades/

Get your facts straigth before you make such obviously false statements...

Let's try and not be so aggressive to people before we double check our facts, shall we? :)

Actually he's right, Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Win 7/8/8.1 users for the first year, but MS have come out and said that payment beyond that first year will not be subscription based.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-deliver-free-windows-10-upgrades/

Let's try and not be so aggressive to people before we double check our facts, shall we? :)

https://twitter.com/Windows/status/557999326275059713

https://twitter.com/brandonleblanc/status/557984882630991872

I can't think of a possiblity how to misinterpret these very clear statements. There will be no additional charge if you upgrade to Win10 during the first year. There will be no subscription fees (since that would be an additional charge) and your Win10 version will be updated as long as you own the device it's installed on - for free.

Edit: Hm, maybe we just mean different things with "after the first year". If he meant users who don't upgrade during the free period I'm pretty sure that there will be both, tradtional "lifetime" licences and a subscription modell for just a limited time, just like they do it with Office.

Sorry, for the aggressive tone but you wouldn't believe me how often I had to correct people about this one. It's mind-numbing...

Last edited:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

I think the statements were pretty clear. For a period of one year after the release of Windows 10, you will be able to upgrade free of charge. If you delay upgrading for more than a year, you'll need to pay for it. There are no subscription charges. Enterprise users (which means those already on custom contracts) are excluded.

@Scholdarr @Kinley @Dragonbird
I meant that if you upgrade within that year the upgrade is indeed for free, but Microsoft has trademarked the Windows 365 name. Which is their subscription thingy.
(source= http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-trademarks-windows-365)

And I wouldn't be surprised if people who used the free upgrade, had to pay some kind of subscription or annual fee after the year is done. Now this hasn't been confirmed to be the case, but it also hasn't been denied by Microsoft. (As far as I know.) Dragonbird corrected me.
But of course it could be that the 365 program will be used for people who buy Windows 10 outside of the free upgrade year, or can't make use of the free upgrade.
So I could just be rambling here, I guess we will find out.

Last edited:
Don't forget just trademarks etc are also filed just to protect those names from being misused, it's not any indication of a subscription based windows suddenly

And I wouldn't be surprised if people who used the free upgrade, had to pay some kind of subscription or annual fee after the year is done. Now this hasn't been confirmed to be the case, but it also hasn't been denied by Microsoft. (As far as I know.)

At this point this is just FUD. It would be against all their efforts to get people to move to Win 10.
Win 8.1 was also free and no charges came after that, that same seems to be the case with Win 10, at least for the first year.

Also in the unlikely event that this happens, you do realize what kind of sh*t storm it would be if they decide to charge after a free upgrade.
Windows 365 I think will most likely target business.

And I wouldn't be surprised if people who used the free upgrade, had to pay some kind of subscription or annual fee after the year is done. Now this hasn't been confirmed to be the case, but it also hasn't been denied by Microsoft. (As far as I know.)

The link I gave DID include the denial. Direct from Microsoft on their own website.
"And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time - for no additional charge.

They also explicitly describe what a "qualified Windows device" is (and it includes everything it should, no loopholes there). The only potential loophole I can see is "supported lifetime of the device", but I think if they try to do anything silly like say "if you get a new CPU, it isn't the same device any more", they'll be forced to back down, they always have before.

And, regarding Windows 365, I suspect that yes, they will bring out something like that, but it won't be for people like us, it'll be for Enterprise licences, where people are licencing thousands of PC's and a lot of organisations will actually welcome a subscription model.

I used to sell this sort of stuff, mainly to customers who were asking for quotes for well over US$1m at a time, and who wanted those quotes to show lifetime costs, which typically meant 7-10 years from the contract date. Those types of customers have preferred subscription models for years. This isn't about home PCs.

Maybe if Windows 10 allowed you to pay off the retail price in monthly installments (with interest of course), that would be better for me. Otherwise I'm gonna have to save up for months just to afford the upgrade.

Unless you have 7, 8 or 8.1 and update in the first year after the initial release of Win10, when it is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom