Dirt.

+

Dirt.

• Slight dirt, like in Remember Me. I'm gonna stay at the clean Corp sector all the time anyway.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • A good amount of dirt and deslation. That is what makes the Wasteland complete.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Natural disaster style. The wasteland has to be one hell of a spot and you know it.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • CDPR better take Blade Runner to the next level. Anyone who disagrees may die now.

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • A perfect blend: Destroyed beauty, crowded filthy markets, and a Wasteland that feels like one!

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • >Insert random atomic desert wasteland here<

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
Dirt.

Dirt. Let's discuss it.

No, Jack... Not THAT kind of discussion...*sigh*

So, yeah. Dirt. One of, if not the most essential part of any good Cyberpunk environment. If it is absent, the place is incomplete. Even a good corporation sector should have dirt to some degree, even if it is just an indoor plant fallen to the side. But, of course, we are talking about the real deal here. What kind of "dirty" environments do you expect from a game that's called Cyberpunk 2077? Most of all, the wasteland - of course. But what exactly? Old factories? Construction sites (One of my favorites)? Old churches? Abandoned train stations, collapsed bridges? Destroyed beauty in general? Maybe just abandoned buildings with a faint whisper of nostalgia, seen through the architecture? Or something else entirely?

And what kind of dirt do you wish to come across? Oil? Sand or earth? Papers flying trough the air? Burning barrels? Plastic, glass maybe?

CDPR said that they want the Wasteland and Night City to look real. Meaning making the city to look like as if it was built layer upon layer, not just one new building next to another.

I hope they manage to do that and I want to know what your dreams of a "dirty" Night City and Wasteland are.

thats something which should be discussed in the night city and the environmant threads...

The forum is next to dead, a few stray threads shouldn't matter.

I appreciate your candor about dirt, Odo. I'm kinda hoping the wastelands will be a bit different than the Mad Max/Fallout type, which feature a lot of dirt. As for NC, I expect to see a lot of trash and urban decay in areas, but I feel corporate districts should be squeaky clean. Just my take on it.

Last edited:
Real urban wastelands, abandoned industrial property that has been reclaimed for use by squatters, have a distinctive character that the game should pick up on.

Examples:
The Chicago Brownlands:

The Packard Factory:

Last edited:
I just went for a perfect blend, but those pics of Guys look spot on, and of course some squeaky clean corp areas. I like how CDPR have described it - old & new, familiar & strange, dirty & clean.

Those people are actually living rough on a brownfield site? Damn it how many, and any shelter?

I just went for a perfect blend, but those pics of Guys look spot on, and of course some squeaky clean corp areas. I like how CDPR have described it - old & new, familiar & strange, dirty & clean.

Those people are actually living rough on a brownfield site? Damn it how many, and any shelter?

Yes, there are some people who attempt to live there. But its more common use is as a venue for under-the-radar parties.

See http://areachicago.org/the-brownlands/ for a good discussion of the way places like this end up being impossible to reclaim.

Why impossible exactly?

The article discusses it better than I could. In one sentence, it is that undeveloped land in proximity to developed land becomes overpriced and isolated to the point that no arrangement to buy and develop the land could be profitable. Attempts to do so often result in nine-digit bankruptcies, something not many Corporates will risk.

Last edited:
I would like to see the affluence of each area being reflected by how clean it is. Even the corporate zones would have upper and lower headings, so a little litter and maybe the occasional graffiti tag or anti-corporate marker. On the other end of the scale, the combat zone should look rough as he'll. Trash and graffiti everywhere and burnt out cars and bullet holes. The very worst parts should look like they are an actual warzone. Middle and lower class areas should find a middle ground on that scale.

The 'wasteland' could be divided into two key types. Obviously we have the mad-max-esque desert but there is always the compacted trash wasteland of Mona Lisa Overdrive; The Dog Solitude.

Last edited:
The 'wasteland' could be divided into two key types. Obviously we have the mad-max-esque desert but there is always the compacted trash wasteland of Mona Lisa Overdrive; The Dog Solitude.

You mean where Little Bird lived? I went insane trying to figure out how his fucking hair looked from the descriptions. True story. And relevant to the point of this thread.

You mean where Little Bird lived? I went insane trying to figure out how his fucking hair looked from the descriptions. True story. And relevant to the point of this thread.

Little Bird, Slick Henry and Gentry, yes. I figured hid hair was probably somewhere between th guys hair from 'A Flock of Seagulls' and a scruffy Mohawk.

Dog Solitude is a compacted trash dump, full of junk and pollution. Nothing grows there, nothing lives there. But there is scrap and where there's scrap there's desperate people trying to make a living.

I gave two answers in the poll, because it basically works out like this... If you are in the Corp Zone, everything should be pristine, spotless, tasteful but for all the corporate logos everywhere... the further you get from that, the dirtier shit gets, till you get to either the combat zone, and its burnt out or condemmed slums, or the wasteleands outside the city where the nomads play in the dirt and dust and sorrow....

The article discusses it better than I could. In one sentence, it is that undeveloped land in proximity to developed land becomes overpriced and isolated to the point that no arrangement to buy and develop the land could be profitable. Attempts to do so often result in nine-digit bankruptcies, something not many Corporates will risk.
Ahhh I misread slightly... a Brownfield site in the UK refers to one that used to have some polluting industry on it, considered unfit for housing let alone sleeping rough on.

Ahhh I misread slightly... a Brownfield site in the UK refers to one that used to have some polluting industry on it, considered unfit for housing let alone sleeping rough on.

We use the term, too. Paradoxically, a really polluted brownfield is more economic to reclaim, because public attention is placed on these, and government aid becomes available. Pennsylvania is probably the state that has done the most to reclaim brownfields.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PWkN9viNxA I want the dirt, to be thick like grimy death soup, and heavy, like heavy metal. I picture the living room of the toxic avenger. But I want the clean to be clean - the kind of OCD clean you know? The kind that leaves you feeling you can't sit down anywhere, like it's so clean its not really meant for humans. The kind of place that you'd love to starting making things go BOOM.

I gave two answers in the poll, because it basically works out like this... If you are in the Corp Zone, everything should be pristine, spotless, tasteful but for all the corporate logos everywhere... the further you get from that, the dirtier shit gets, till you get to either the combat zone, and its burnt out or condemmed slums, or the wasteleands outside the city where the nomads play in the dirt and dust and sorrow....

like this

And what inbetween?

Top Bottom