Disappointed in Corpo life path

+
Well,you can write a Cyberpunk story from corporation point of view without problems.
The good old Syndicate and Satellite Reign puts you as an executive.
The problem is how you do that in action RPG since a executive basically don't get dirty and delegates,and this would be more a "tycoon" game or XCOM type... you can write the story as a corpo samurai(like the Syndicate shooter) but then the story will be similar to V merc either working mostly for Corp,being betrayed by Corp or working from within to take down the corp while I think most people what they wanted is to be executives... but how do you force to follow a story to somebody with secretary,access to corp soldiers,cash etc...its also a problem with "exec"/"corp" archetype in the tabletop,is more suitable to office intrigue,not much action.

I have a question for those of us that played Corpo...

What would have been the "good" and righteous ending? For me I felt that the "don't fear the reaper" was the only good ending because you spared your friends from suffering and death.

If I remember right all other paths means at least one of your friends dies in your place echoing jackie's death leaving you with survivor's remorse, but more than that you win by sacrificing your friend.

What would have been the "good" and righteous ending? For me I felt that the "don't fear the reaper" was the only good ending because you spared your friends from suffering and death.

If I remember right all other paths means at least one of your friends dies in your place echoing jackie's death leaving you with survivor's remorse, but more than that you win by sacrificing your friend.
not sure if the corpo has friends, but i dont think any friends die in the corpo ending.

But i also am interested in what type of endings corpo players might be looking for

If I remember right all other paths means at least one of your friends dies in your place echoing jackie's death leaving you with survivor's remorse.

For me, it 's like you see your V.
For your friends death (if your V consider to have friends), it's "probable". You don't know it before doing it.

If your V agree with Goro dialogs during "Gimme Danger" on the top of the building, V could want leave all this trash behind and quit Night City (the Start).
If your V want to be a Legend, V can do the Sun ending.
If your V want to destroy Arasaka with your own hands (with imaginary buddy), V can do "Fear the Reaper".

But for me, one thing is sure, the Devil ending is out of question for a Corpo V.

I prefer The Sun, solo ending because no one dies, still on good terms with all friends (excepting Goro, but that is normal) although they complain that V is too busy. I love Panam and the Aldecaldos, but for me, it is not worth it to kill so many people to have the Star ending. I like NC, but I could easily see my V with the Aldecaldos, so my choice is purely based on who dies and who lives.

but for me, it is not worth it to kill so many people to have the Star ending
It's because you know that. In first playthrough without spoiler, you can't know if someone will be kill or not (you can always hope that nobody dies).
Post automatically merged:

For the Star ending, the important thing is to know if your V regards the Aldecaldos as friends/family or not.

If yes, V tells the Aldecaldos twice that they can stop and not risk their lives.
Once with Saul and Panam
V : It's Arasaka, you can stop everything, I would understand.
Saul : We decided to help you and we will, no need to discuss it.
Once with Panam
V : You welcome me and how I thank you by leading you to hell.
Panam : V, don't count on me to appease your guilt. We are in the same boat...

So they see you as part of the family and will help you at the risk of their life (as V does if V helps Saul escape).
Anyway, it doesn't seem inconceivable to me to ask for help from very good friends or family in a critical/deadly situation. It would be even not to ask them which would be weird (for me and certainly for them). But maybe I live a little bit too much in the world of "Care bears" :)

Last edited:
Why would someone who just got screwed by Arasaka and has all kinds of dirt on them, willing to go to be a lowlife street merc. Why not go straight to Militech and offer everything you know for big eddies? Doesn't make any sense. Hence, how CDPR screwed up the main RPG element of this game, choices. We don't really have any choice in the entire game but the ending.
absolutely. when you have been high in a hierarchy, if you have a very keen sense of a skill {in this case intelligence}, the individual will do anything to bounce back in that area. certainly, as a mercenary {merc} but above all as a {soldier of fortune}.
with all that that entails other than getting rid of scavs.

Why would someone who just got screwed by Arasaka and has all kinds of dirt on them, willing to go to be a lowlife street merc. Why not go straight to Militech and offer everything you know for big eddies? Doesn't make any sense. Hence, how CDPR screwed up the main RPG element of this game, choices. We don't really have any choice in the entire game but the ending.

Well, lets try to think of some reasons....

First, we know that this person is familiar with corpo 'wet work'. EG.. People that aren't careful end up dead. Usually discretely, but that's not even a necessity. That they got out alive was a gift. One they might need to think twice about because in the Corpo world, no gift is without strings, nor the means to take it back. So, running to Militech might just get you killed spectacularly.

But lets think about that too. Militech is filled with people just like Arasaka. They do 'business' in much the same way. Do you already have a reasonably high up contact at Militech? If you did, do you think Arasaka would have let you live knowing you have contacts with a competing corp? But lets say you do, and they are high enough to matter. Are they _really_ going to trust you? You could be pulling some Arasaka job, we know that Militech and Arasaka are being pushed to the brink of corpo wars. We know the gangs have jobs using Militech equipment to hit Arasaka targets. Etc. So, how does your contact know you're on the level? Why would they not just get what they could from you and quiety dispose of you and use what the gained as possible career enhancement for themselves? But lets say they don;t kill you, who is to say someone else at Militech doesn't? You don't really have any 'in'. Once you are part of a corp, you're in their ecosystem. You are theirs for life, as long as they let you, and let you live... there is no changing allegiances.

Seriously, look at Meredith Stout. She doesn't even strike me as someone as highly placed as you were at Arasaka, and she's kidnapping her own fellows in a cut-throat play to cover up for/recover from a situation that is going very badly for her. Are you really going to go to someone at Militech, either someone you ;know' or someone you tried to meet and tell them.. Hey, I have secret Arasaka insider info I will give you for just a few bucks.

Choom, you're ending up in a scav BD lickety split.

If you think your choice above is a smart one, you likely wouldn't have been hired into any corp outside of being base level, expendable meatware.

Maybe because of the DEV marketing [Street Kid life path] :

And I take it back, I did NOT assume all that much [CORPO life path] :

There is not even one STREET or back alley shown in the Corpo life path... :rolleyes:
Post automatically merged:

In office poltics and black mail:

Using the best and most expensive equipment:

I knew picking this path would leave me with no real friends:

They even say in this part of the clip V was corporate counter intelligence (a higher ranking employee with subordinates and with company benefits from what I remember in game), not a mercenary.

OK, OK I know I was never promised a Rose Garden, but they did say they would sell me a garden and instead I got a garage. Luckily it was a really cool garage so I do not regret the purchase.
Ive honestly never realised how misleading these trailers are, the life path system is completely hollow and adds literally nothing to the game BUT they must have realised this because so much of the footage shown is taken from quests that have nothing to do with your life path, theyre just clips from the main story.

Agreed.
No matter the life choice we pick, we basically end up a Streetkid with ambitions, and I don't like it.

I wanted to play Meredith Stout, essentially. I wanted to play a Corpo.

Play as Corpo where all the big Corpos want probably kill V for extract his/her precious Relic in his/her brain.
Oh yes, that could be good... and a short story :)

(6 months later and thousand times later, it's not Street Kid but Street Merc. But at this point, if those who don't see the difference, probably will never see it).

Agreed.
No matter the life choice we pick, we basically end up a Streetkid with ambitions, and I don't like it.

I wanted to play Meredith Stout, essentially. I wanted to play a Corpo.

Right,

I have been thinking more about what I was excepting /what I would have liked to get from the game when I originally pre purchased a few years ago.

see here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ted-in-corpo-life-path.11087860/post-13084732
and here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ted-in-corpo-life-path.11087860/post-13084975

Now I am trying to theoretically massage that into what we ultimately got and how it could have been done with the direction the DEV finally went in with the game.

As I said in my OP on this subject one of the difficulties would be how to balance the idea that high level Corpo V would have all the best equipment and guns at the start of the game. Also once the DEV decided to go with the main story focusing on Johnny Silverhand how would that relationship would work being that Johnny is thought to be so anti Corpo.

I decided that Johnny would express a little less anti corpo and just a lot more anti Arasaka. And that V would be working for a competing company. V (remember V is a mid to high level anti-espionage corporate officer per the in game canon) would be given a deep undercover mission to submerged/imbed into the street life and cultivate allies there to ultimately steal the Relic from the other company, but must keep the stink of it off of V’s company.

Thus V would be limited to the equipment and guns that a Merc would normally have. And Johnny would still be willing to reluctantly team up with V for all the same endgame results the game has now.

The big difference is that V would be constantly lying and manipulate their street “friends” and that would be an on going challenge not to get caught in the deceptions.

Up until V gets the chip stuck in the head, V would still occasionally come in from the field to the office resulting in some in office conflict, battles and politics and maybe be sent on side missions to do things like assassinate or black mail or intimidate the leaders of the unions and deal with the cities politicians or other such things. After V may be too afraid to tell their home company for fear they would yank the chip out and just let V die.

Possible more to come as I think about this...

Last edited:

To me, "Don't Fear the Reaper" is the only ending.

Because you know it. Personally, without spoiler, I would never found it myself :(
-Have 70% it's possible, but maybe difficult on first run.
-Waiting for 5 minutes on the roof for launch it... No, I would never have found.

And I you romance Judy/Panam... No, it's another one "the only ending" !

Unfortunately you are very correct, this ending is probably the most unlikely to be done by players because of the convoluted conditions needed to get it. I was lucky to get it as it was exactly the ending I wanted.

Mmm.. agreed that lifepaths do not matter as expected to be as all still ended up as a street merc.

Would be better if there are no starting lifepaths, everyone starts off as Streetkid V (in my opinion, it seems that StreetKid is the titular role for V).

Then there should be in-game missions that allow players to experience the lives/activities of corpos and nomads from the fresh perspective of a Streetkid.

For example, a mission where V is tasked to disguise and work as a corpo for some time to gather intel, during which allows the player to experience the Corpo life. Or maybe more side missions with the Aldecados to experience the Nomad life.

Who knows, we can even throw in Trauma Team questline to allow these paramedics to tell us their side of the story.

These would be better for players to experience the different walks of lives in Night City, which makes the world of Cyberpunk more immersive.

Last edited:
Mmm.. agreed that lifepaths do not matter as expected to be as all still ended up as a street merc.

Would be better if there are no starting lifepaths, everyone starts off as Streetkid V (in my opinion, it seems that StreetKid is the titular role for V).

Then there should be in-game missions that allow players to experience the lives/activities of corpos and nomads from the fresh perspective of a Streetkid.

For example, a mission where V is tasked to disguise and work as a corpo for some time to gather intel, during which allows the player to experience the Corpo life. Or maybe more side missions with the Aldecados to experience the Nomad life.

Who knows, we can even throw in Trauma Team questline to allow these paramedics to tell us their side of the story.

These would be better for players to experience the different walks of lives in Night City, which makes the world of Cyberpunk more immersive.
I'm pretty sure that if they go MP professions will be the thing, but indeed, it could be interesting to have at least a few quests to taste more of NC life :)

I found the life paths matter. When I wanted to create a Harley Quinn Type character the streetkid was a good start that the others could not provide, likewise a James bond type character, nomad and streetkid would be just wrong. The overall story presented to me and options I could choose to traverse a scenario were a combination based on where I had assigned my attributes as well as my lifepath. As a high int/cool Streetkid hacker I had very different options and routes through many quests than my reflex/tech katana wielding corpo, or high strength baseball bat mox. The highly regarded shadowrun returns series does something similar albeit in 3d isometric.

I think a lot of people consider the lifepath to be a character class in itself and as such are disappointed with it when it turns out to be a bit of lore/rp and not wholly substantive in its own right.

I come from a table-top background. I create a character on paper to begin a play-through (even rolling the background on a few using the cyberpunk red ruleset) and then decide on the best lifepath for them and am quite rigorous in portraying the personality I gave them, I will skip quests that seem irrelevant to them, I will only pick dialogue options that are pertinent rarely cycling through every blue option but picking and choosing only where relevant and I have found the CP2077 to be incredibly responsive when I do that.

As in tabletop, I have a set of scenarios and I cannot change them but I can define the character that runs through it and how the world reacts to them.

Top Bottom