Disappointment

+
Disappointment

I cant tell you how disappointed I have been with game developers lately. There are so many scams like Watchdogs, BF4, COD Ghosts. I'm just sick and tired of them lieing and making shitty games. I hope Cyberpunk has a crew of people who are committed to making a great game.

Well listen kid, it's called marketing. Few people tells the truth even among those few there are some who doesn't tell whole truth only most interesting ones.

Welcome to the world of videogames where 98% of all things produced is watered down and uninspired shit in an attempt to appeal to largest possible amount of lowest common denominators. Has been so for years, and it doesn't seem to be changing much.

The key is to target a specific market and NOT worry about catering to the largest possible market.
While independent game developers can do such things if you're tied to most any of the large game marketing firms (cough ... Electronic Arts) they could care less if your game is good, bad, or even finished when it's shipped because their ONLY concern is their profits.
While Kickstarter has it's share of bad titles there are also a few very good ones being supported and I have hopes that this will make the game marketing companies wake up and smell the coffee.
Yeah I know, even I am sometimes a naive optimist.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
At least you can go to sleep knowing that those games were actually released, OP. Meanwhile, Capcom has gone to amazing lengths to personally rip the hearts out of all of their Megaman Legends fans. Apparently the third game was really close to release when they decided to scrap the whole thing despite it being so far along in the development that it had voice acting and everything.

Besides, there have always been horrible games. Have you ever played the SNES version of Justice League Task Force? It's a candidate for "worst fighting game ever," so bad that I still have the cartridge in order to avoid inflicting it upon others, and it's just one of many such abominations. Give Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops ten minutes, for example, and you'll completely change your opinion of what constitutes a bad game.

All game generations have their ups and downs. Ranging from cryptic, not-readily apparent bullshit barring you from progress without a guide or dumb luck (heres looking at you, Hexen 2), to multiplayer combat centered solely on reflexes (heres looking at you, CoD)

I cant tell you how disappointed I have been with game developers lately. There are so many scams like Watchdogs, BF4, COD Ghosts. I'm just sick and tired of them lieing and making shitty games. I hope Cyberpunk has a crew of people who are committed to making a great game.

Most bigger developers will lie, even the ones that I like have lied. But, CD has never lied as far as I can tell. If there is one company I could trust, it would be these guys. They're very cool when it comes to DRM and all that stuff, I wouldn't worry so much if I was you. Also, COD Ghosts never tricked me, as soon as they said they had fish that move in that Microsoft conference I was laughing my ass off at them. Anyway yeah, CD has never lied, if anyone can prove me wrong please post a link.

Possibly because many of us are pretty impressed with modern gaming. I have a backlog of games I'm playing, new and old, that I quite enjoy.

Alpha Protocol, Borderlands 2, Divinity Original Sin, Stalker- Lost Alpha, Shadowrun...just to name a few. Oh and Watch Dogs. And Thief. Both quite good games, as long as you weren't expecting them to be top 10 Games of the Year.

A classic game comes along pretty rarely. Why they are classic. Yet many consumers want the best, all the time, for the same or less price. Does not work that way.

Here's a tip: don't trust trailers. If it looks good, look forward to the game, but that's it. Expect PR bullshit at all times.

Besides, there have always been horrible games.

Yeah even though there's a point when things get stale and stuff like charts and reviews don't mean anything anymore (top ten this and that are unbelievable jokes most people ignore). It gets a bit sad when reviewers and random youtubers like the errandsignal guy comment on stuff they think they understand to get internet's consensus. One really has to dig up around the internet and thank stuff like gaf, indiedb, idf and dodge most marketing adv shaped around wet fantasies or laughable 60 fps and 1080p goodness which finally sells on reviews since TB made a big deal about it. Good games are out there too, gaming is still going through a splitting into mass market stuff and crowd funding/indie gaming and eventually things will get stale again.

Forum veteran
Anyway yeah, CD has never lied, if anyone can prove me wrong please post a link.
I can't post links at the moment since I'm on a tablet, but they lied about several elements of Witcher 2 leading up to release (like length, as memory serves--I posted the link for slim way back). They also stated that they weren't going to be going after pirates based on IP addresses, which they prompty did in Germany since they basically allow for threatening letters that amount to shakedowns there. They stopped doing that when they got called out on it, but they said they weren't doing it at the same time they were engaging in it, so it wasn't an accidental thing so much as a full-fledged lie.

Best to not trust anyone. After all, it's not paranoia if everyone really is out to take advantage of you. I find it best to love everyone while recognizing them for the evil bastards they are.

EDIT: And CDPR is one of the best, even if they have occasional flings with untruths. You know how hard it is to mold public opinion to where even pirates shame other pirates into buying legit copies? You may not like the lies, but you have to respect how they've carved that good-guy image out of an industry made almost entirely of gamer/company resentment. It may occasionally be an abusive relationship, but it hurts so good.

Last edited:
They also stated that they weren't going to be going after pirates based on IP addresses, which they prompty did in Germany since they basically allow for threatening letters that amount to shakedowns there. They stopped doing that when they got called out on it, but they said they weren't doing it at the same time they were engaging in it, so it wasn't an accidental thing so much as a full-fledged lie.

That was the stupidest fucking thing they ever did - I'd almost forgotten about it. The lie was that they'd said they would never punish legitimate customers because of piracy, I don't think they'd said that they'd never go after pirates, and I think a lot of it was stupidity/naivity rather than deliberate reversal. They managed to get themselves conned by a Copyright Troll into thinking that they really DID have a foolproof way of only detecting genuine pirates.

The lie they do get accused of was saying that TW2 would come out on PS3. I think they only actually said "might", but it was widely reported as "will". And I think that's one reason why they don't talk much until things are absolutely certain these days.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
I went back and found the thread and they definitely did say in the linked interview that they wouldn't bother with pirates. They also said the complete opposite in an article before that one which almost resulted in me neutering slim with garden shears. Fun reading for newbies: old arguing

Apparently I can post links on this tablet. Touch screens are just a hassle. Anyway, I don't mean to be overly negative about CDPR. Every developer has their sins, and CDPR are one of the few devs that have had employees willing to jump into stuff like Batman versus Superman forum debates. It's just important to be realistic and realize that big companies tend to make big, dumb decisions sometimes. That's what fans are for--to hit them when they get out of line, purely out of love.

Top Bottom