Discard SK is sickenly strong now

+
Discard SK is sickenly strong now

Where everyone else has boost, they have strengthen. (And they have best revive power....no offense here but seriously this is bad, restore + monster mage + revive + revive + cerys + revive)

Where everyone else has "damage enemy", they have "damage unit" (which means they can target spy and their own cripple style unit)

What makes my stomach hurt is that you can do almost nothing to their deck building. You kill them they just revive, and no faction has enough banish power against it, and access to opponent graveyard is sth hard to use unless you are targeting this deck (Which in my opinion, if in rank play ppl are using deck that specifically targetting that deck, that already says that deck is too OP and unhealthyly popular.

I'm almost at rank 17 and there is just no other opponent deck now. Same leader, same gold, same silver, same bronze...metas like this seriously need to be hotfix in 3 days when spotted, give it a week and no one (non-meta users) will play rank game until update

Monsters is probably the best counter to graveyard play. Katakan, Caretaker and Griffins? I think Griffins are the weather clears that move bronze units into the other graveyard.

It's not ridiculously strong l, but they have some pretty quick ways to gain tempo and almost always start round 3 with at least 10 points on the board thanks to Cerys.

Been coming up against SK with old Raddy boi and had little trouble with them; but maybe I'm just getting lucky.

tussauc;n9704181 said:
Been coming up against SK with old Raddy boi and had little trouble with them; but maybe I'm just getting lucky.
Double lock will hurt the deck, but not entirely cripple it. You can lock Cerys as well as Olgeird or Morkvaarg. It still makes it difficult though, because they can nab bears and resurrect, or nab Ekimaras and resurrect or Restore. Even Harpooners are quite strong, and they can easily get 4 or 5 of them in a game if need be (using bears/ekimaras/resurrect).

They just have massively strong units that you can't really do much about.

It's easy to forget the existence of letho these days. He is like Regis the previous season. If you have seen him at least once, you've seen him more often than the average player.

BornBoring;n9705071 said:
It's easy to forget the existence of letho these days. He is like Regis the previous season. If you have seen him at least once, you've seen him more often than the average player.
I've seen him a few times. It's easy to pair him with Scorch/Bomb/Igni/Mardroeme and kill 2 units. You could even use Menno.

Mostly, he's easy to counter by simply passing. If your opponent drops Letho, you pass. You know he's going to die and you'll be down a ton of points. Make the opponent drop another card for it while saving yours. That's why he doesn't get played much.

Letho is only good to play if you're ahead, and if you're ahead, you don't need him.

I think there's a funny relationship between faction matches. The other day I played 13 games: 1 Sco'tel 12 King bran nonsense. So I'd had enough and switched to Monsters. 12 games in today no King Bran. Just Eredin match-ups and the occasional Henselt. smh

Lyserus;n9702121 said:
I'm almost at rank 17 and there is just no other opponent deck now.
You lament now. Wait till you hit 19 or 20 where this abomination is run at god-level efficiency. You might as well be in a first person shooter game.

Kingoko;n9710761 said:
But, but skellige discard is not op anymore, its easy countered
It is easily countered - if you're playing Monsters or Nilfgaard. Other factions lack the tools to interact with graveyard, so it can't be countered.

Locking provides a slow down, but not a hard counter. Only removing cards in the GY actually counters it.

You can't even counter Strengthen mechanic. Mardroeme comes the closest, but it's fairly weak. Artefact Compression also works, but again, it's a one-off as well as Silver.

I've said for a long time that both GY play and Strengthen need actual counters in the game.

LightPriest;n9710791 said:
I think there's a funny relationship between faction matches. The other day I played 13 games: 1 Sco'tel 12 King bran nonsense. So I'd had enough and switched to Monsters. 12 games in today no King Bran. Just Eredin match-ups and the occasional Henselt. smh

Goes beyond just the factions. I started constructing some serious conspiracy theories the other day. After not seeing Ereding or Dagon for literally a week i decide to throw out Clear Skies. Guess who next 3 matches were against? Threw the card back in, back to Bran and Bran.. and more Bran. Same thing happened when i put Reset inside. haven't see a Spell deck till i didn't kick it back out.

As for Letho i tried combining with Fringila and Menno with it, but it just doesn't deliver that often. Without banish its tech value is rather low and as a setup card it is just slow. Potentially as a finisher but you need CA for it to work reliably...

Yep, the deck is strong, but other factions have tools to counter it. You just have to think a bit instead of playing netdeck Spelltael, Yennifer + Woodland Spirit + Dagon + Harpies, or spam Henselt.

NG: Assire, Emhyr + Auckes, Emhyr + mill deck, Xarthisius, The Guardian
M: Katakan, Caretaker, Succubus (if you play it right)
NR: Radovid, Margarita
ST: Morenn (against Sigrdrifa and priestesses), Ithlinne into double lock, Ciaran, Aglais (to steal Restore)

There are also good neutral cards: Artefact compression, Regis, Avallach, Cleaver, and Necromancy (right, nobody uses it, but it's +10 points and banish Dorregaray).

Gwent is all about surprising your opponent and countering his strategy. Of course you won't win if you don't even try to do that.

Does mill really work well against Branstore? I mean i always considered that deck to be least mill prone from the top decks atm. At least comparing to spies, spellatel and dagon.. same goes for guardian. I think they handle its deatwish better then most either through coral or just by warmongering them out...

Also Xarth something. Expensive tech card that still hopes that he didnt get restore at the beginning. Although i must admitt i like that card in general, but least so against netdecks.

I agree on Assire,Auckes and Aglais. They seem to be really good choices. monster gravers go without saying too. Succubus is a bit tricky. Especially with harpooners. Not a viable choice imo.

Radovid works well (auckes on steroids basically), but Marge much less so. Reset part is lost on sk completely.

nemirni;n9716141 said:
Does mill really work well against Branstore? I mean i always considered that deck to be least mill prone from the top decks atm. At least comparing to spies, spellatel and dagon.. same goes for guardian. I think they handle its deatwish better then most either through coral or just by warmongering them out...

Well, if you don't use Bran and hold Warmongers until there's no bronzes to discard, then perhaps it's hard to mill. If you use Bran to discard, then the opponent needs to mill only 9 cards. Avallach + renew Avallach + shackles Avallach is already 6 cards. Albrich is another card, Decoy + Albrich or Decoy + Avallach is a card or two, so is Cahyr + these cards. And I am not counting Sweers, Vilgefortz, Tibor.

So come to think of it, if you only discard Cerys (I think it hurts more not to do that), it's possible to withstand mill.

The only powerful counter to the current sk deck is Monsters (with the right techs). Even with that you have to draw into your caretakers, griffins and katakan. If you draw shite which does happen more often than not, you could easily lose even playing as monsters because of the sheer stats and utility of their units. As for NR..what to say? I agree that Kind Radovid and Magarita are good to have. But against a Restore Bran net decker who remotely knows what he's doing, you might as well bring a chihuahua to a dragon fight.

Top Bottom