Disco Elysium

+
On a related note, I have been trying to play Disco Elysium for the past 4 days, but my agenda was completely swamped. :giveup: I hope I can finally resume my play-through today.

This is one of the first games I've ever played where I wasn't tempted to load an early point after my character died because it felt like a perfect story arc for that character. I give this game 5 golden apples.

more important question: was anyone able to get enought reál to buy the streetlamp and what could possible be the usecase?

yeah had the same @Sardukhar - what was your favorite thought? (in the cabinet)

I will try a new build and and c if that changes anything. even though it might make THE fight brutal.

Hrm. I -liked- Art Cop, but didn't keep it. Cop of the Apocalypse or maybe Superstar. The Masov one was cool too. I also did not try for the streetlamp. I did get all the armour though!

That fight was brutal anyway. The first time, I didn't get the warning so I was strolling along in my Shivers/Perception gear. Ironically. It was not a great help. I also had quite a few banked XP, as the game advises, and foolishly tried to save them through the fight. Sooo..yeah. The second try, I had my gun fight gear on and it went much better.

I don't know about doing my Tough Street Cop build now - so little combat or chance to terrify people into obeying you. Seems kind of pointless.

@Sardukhar, surprised you didn't mention Night City, given your unhealthy obsession interest in CP2077.

night_city.jpg

That subplot was great, was not able to get the damm freezer open but i will try again. and yeah i too did unsavoriy things to the legs of the hanged man to get the set ^^ (that damm loot addiction)

I am not entirely satisfied with out The Thought Cabinet - I understand that it can help you unlock certain paths and confers certain stat bonuses, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to get rid of the slots and stats bonuses altogether and merely keep TTC as a list of perks that can assist you in certain situations, provided you internalized them?

The prime reason I am thinking so is because you don't know what bonuses you will get for each Thought before you commit to it and both unlocking a slot as well as forgetting a Thought is costing you a skill point, which seems like a waste.

The prime reason I am thinking so is because you don't know what bonuses you will get for each Thought before you commit to it and both unlocking a slot as well as forgetting a Thought is costing you a skill point, which seems like a waste.

You're not supposed to do it for the bonuses, but the RP.

I know, but it ends up giving you bonuses and taking space, so you start thinking in these categories instead (same with the items).

For similar reasons I didn't like Torment: Tides of Numenera's effort system. It was a good idea on paper, but less so in practice, because there you could spend resolve to pass a check and still fail. Or spend it and succeed and not have it later on, which always made me anoxious for the future ("I will surely need that resolve later on!"). As a result it never felt good, regardless of the outcome.

In Disco I am not spending anything by passing checks, which makes it easier to attempt them, and because I am already a failure it doesn't have same crushing psychological impact it usually has in other games. And spending a skill point to improve a stat in order to re-attempt a white skill check has the side-effect of also increasing its corresponding skill, so using a skill point for that doesn't feel like a waste.

Kind of makes me wish that more games had better overall flow to their mechanics. However, it does require some input from players/people who play it at the point when it can still be altered, if needed, in a way that's needed.

Last edited:
I know, but it ends up giving you bonuses and taking space, so you start thinking in these categories instead (same with the items).

I started to, because I am conditioned to min/max...so I stopped. And picked the cool ones. Voila.

Still, if it can be perfected in the future, why not?

It reminds me a lot of how alchemy changed in the Witcher series - because people had to use the meditation stance before in order to be able to drink them, which meant they rarely used them (or used that feature via save & load).

Changing potions into usable im combat, combined with a fixed amount that replenished by meditating and making potions easier to create, made them all that much easier to swallow as there was no more desire to stockpile them. Oils became better too, by being translated into charges, rather than ticking down timer.

Last edited:
Still, if it can be perfected in the future, why not?

I don't think making it easier or more points-oriented is better, or what the designers wanted for it. Opaque can be good, awkward can be good.

A lot of the changes you describe in Witcher made it more convenient, but also, well, sillier. Less Witcher-y.

I don't think making it easier or more points-oriented is better, or what the designers wanted for it. Opaque can be good, awkward can be good.
It's not about making it easier or more points-oriented. It's about creating/changing the mechanic in a way that does not encourage the player to game it for its mechanical bonuses. Taking something that "makes sense" from the role playing point of view over "it makes my build more optimal numbers-wise".

A lot of the changes you describe in Witcher made it more convenient, but also, well, sillier. Less Witcher-y.
I see what you mean, but not everything translates well into a video game. All things considered I think it was a good decision on their part.

By the way, do @Suhiira and @kofeiiniturpa know about this game? I thought they would be all over it, considering all our discussions about Cyberpunk and its mechanics?

I lol'd :ROFLMAO::
de_smell.png

While a lot of the world is fiction, it's grounded in reality, like the description of the Dutch people (as a FYI):
de_oranje.png

the world they created is so damm big. and believeble!

for a first entry as a dev that was spectacular task. no give me the 617 hours of expansions, dlc and succsessors pls?!!

the world they created is so damm big. and believeble!

for a first entry as a dev that was spectacular task. no give me the 617 hours of expansions, dlc and succsessors pls?!!

Didn't this game take like 13 years or so to make?

as far as i read it the developers played in this world for a decade+ in pnp. In a Homebrew Dnd world that they expendet over time. pretty cool. yeah tabletop games ;)

By the way, do @Suhiira and @kofeiiniturpa know about this game? I thought they would be all over it, considering all our discussions about Cyberpunk and its mechanics?

Oh yeah, I’ve been following it from the shadows since it was still called No Truce With the Furies. I’m waiting for pay day so I can afford it and don’t want to spoil it before that, so I haven’t read or participated in discussions.

Top Bottom