Disconnecting from the internet when losing - should this be reported as a cheat?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite often, and especially in Arena game 8 & 9 I see that when opponent is about to lose, they disconnect from the internet (hoping that the game would count it as a draw or maybe even their win?). I reiterate, I see this only when the stakes are high, so this is not a coincidence but an intentional tactic.

Some people are also stalling but while stalling is annoying, it is not against the rules. However, turning off the internet to "lose connection" I would classify as a cheat that should be reported.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
On mobile and formerly console, disconnection is a loss. I usually treat it as a form of disrespect, since I receive no GG awards and it wastes an additional 90 seconds if my time.

Easha

Forum regular
You are implying the disconnects happen on purpose with no way to prove it whatsoever. That alone makes this suggestion awful. That aside, the player who loses connection will lose the game, so why would this be an issue for you - just take the free win and do not imply intentions which are once again just based on your assumption. This happens in casual as well where the stakes are obviously not high.

I still do not see anything positive for the game in this suggestion.

- It depends really, as you said... stalling is within the bound of the rules, the real question is how does the game system interprets it...
If it writes it down as a draw then yes, it should be considered cheating...
Interpreting that action as a win is a far-fetched assumption it think.

- Also one thing I have to add (this goes out to everyone),stalling can be annoying but remember, there are players that might be doing something else whilst playing the game or still learning the game or testing/getting used to a new deck they built, it's not their fault if they choose to use all the time they are allowed to use in a round. If you don't like long rounds write to CDPR to make a more fast paced mode.

Last edited:
From my experience the reason for this happening is player griefing 90% of the time. The opponent is simply ragequitting, closing their gwent app possibly out of frustration from maybe a losing streak or to waste your time. Ive never had such a situation counted as a draw or even lose when it is done to me, so imo it has nothing to do with cheating at all. I must admit I also just closed the app mid game when i got super frustrated by matchmaking a couple of times in the past, like encountering the same tier 0 netdeck 5 times in a row in unranked when I tried to meme a bit.

Disconnecting is not cheating as one who does so can gain nothing by it.

Even assuming poor sportsmanship is a stretch — disconnects happen for any number of reasons, not the least of which is unreliable servers. I’ve even had opponents disconnect while playing out cards after I pass on a match they had won!

I play on a cellphone; I can also disconnect because I receive a call and don’t know whether it will be a 5 second interruption (which allows me to reconnect and finish the match) or a 5 minute interruption (which eventually becomes a forfeit), because the game hangs (which actually happens often and requires cancelling the ap if not restarting the phone), or because something came up that required immediate attention and did not allow the luxury of wading through three unintuitive interface levels to find the forfeit button.

And it is not even true that disconnects prevent my opponent from receiving GG’s. Unless I have to restart the ap, I still give GG’s when I can reconnect to Gwent — even if it is 10 minutes later. Not to mention that receiving a GG is not your “right”, but purely a present given by the grace (and choice) of your opponent.

There is no way to distinguish a real disconnect from a fake one. This fact alone makes it impossible to act upon and thus shouldn't be reported as cheating. Incidentally, the "cheater" gains nothing from it.

I always assumed that this was the opponent rage quitting

When it's R3 and they've quite clearly lost then it certainly is. That's the situation when I see it occur about 90% of the time. And it's really annoying to have to sit there for a minute watching the "opponent disconnected" message when they closed the app rather than just passing or forfeiting.

EDIT - I'd really like to see some sort of update to the app version that puts a forced cooldown on starting a new match after closing the app midgame. The "you forced your last opponent to sit idle for a minute, so now you get to wait for a few before you can play too" cooldown... :p

Agreed, not much you can do about it. Maybe it could "time out" players who rage quit for a day or something to make them cool off lol. I guess I could see rage quitting after getting to round 8 or 9 in Arena and losing, Im the type of player who plays things out even when Im going to lose because I like to know how close the game will be.

Agreed, not much you can do about it. Maybe it could "time out" players who rage quit for a day or something to make them cool off lol. I guess I could see rage quitting after getting to round 8 or 9 in Arena and losing, Im the type of player who plays things out even when Im going to lose because I like to know how close the game will be.

Me too. There's been more than a few times where I thought that I'd lost the game only for my opponent to have a completely useless or even harmful card left as their last one. I won an Arena match recently because my opponent's last card was Scorch and they didn't realize they could discard it instead of nuking their own card off the board. :p

It never counts as draw, i am very sure of it.
I have never rage quitted on gwent and I barely understand their mind set.
Usually, happens when opponents fail to win with cheese decks, good players with well thought deck usually stick to end and give me GG despite of their lose in a match.

I feel the same way 95% of time. There has been times I thought I lost, then I win by one point! lol. Even after being annaliated in R1 when I think to forfeit, but then take R2 and R3 with ease.

But if my last few cards are not going to make up a 30+ point gap, then I'll just forfeit. Sometimes you can tell.

When it's R3 and they've quite clearly lost then it certainly is. That's the situation when I see it occur about 90% of the time. And it's really annoying to have to sit there for a minute watching the "opponent disconnected" message when they closed the app rather than just passing or forfeiting.

EDIT - I'd really like to see some sort of update to the app version that puts a forced cooldown on starting a new match after closing the app midgame. The "you forced your last opponent to sit idle for a minute, so now you get to wait for a few before you can play too" cooldown... :p

That would likely kill a chunk of the player base.

I have had issues with my internet (lousy service where I am) dropping out which in turn causes Gwent to disconnect and leave my opponent in that waiting screen.

So you're saying I now have to sit in the naughty corner for a problem I didn't cause? If that was introduced to the game it would be permanently bye bye Gwent for me.

How is this thread still going? It's a pointless rage-post lol, which is ironic since it accuses others (without any proof) of rage-quitting.

How is this thread still going? It's a pointless rage-post lol, which is ironic since it accuses others (without any proof) of rage-quitting.
I concur, some dude just vented out. Don't pay heed. :coolstory:

I have encountered same thing lots of times and since the game recognises who lost the connection and I still get the win, I don't bother anymore.

Even though my accumulated experience points toward an opponent opting for a salty exit, naturally there'd be a difficulty proving it. Regardless, it is about as boring as it gets to have to wait until the other player has been cut to move on. I'd really appreciate a mechanic that allows for the soon-to-be disconnected player to be dropped, even if the only way to achieve this without causing a ruckus is to allow for a draw.
To clarify; I don't care if it happens once or twice, but when it happens half a dozen times in a row it starts to get quite annoying - especially if it recurringly happens when the final round looks seriously unfavourable for the opponent. Kindly sort it out.

Dem young people today are so impatient, you have to wait 45 seconds for your victory to be acknowledged because the other guy disconnected or rage-quit and everyone loses their heads lol. And also by acknowledging your annoyance you give satisfaction to the rage-quitter. =)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom