Discoveries in the Witcher 3 (spoilers)

+
Discoveries in the Witcher 3 (spoilers)

This isn't necessarily about story, but about technical aspects of the game too, so I just put it here. Since I'm playing the game for the first time I'll post some interesting stuff here, don't be surprised if you already know about it ;)

Playing around with extracting TW3 audio (quickbms / ww2ogg method), I stumbled upon this curious file:

Code:
cs301_iorweth_intro.bnk

That's right! There is (or rather was) something related to Iorweth in the game. Unfortunately there is no valid audio sample there. I got this with ww2ogg:

Code:
Parse error: RIFF truncated

So may be it was cut, but initially there was something by Iorweth in the intro?

Just observed a scene. I came across a camp of Nilfgaardian deserters in Velen (where captured swordsmith is), which were way overpowered for my fresh level 5 character. I managed to lure some of them out, close the the actual Nilfgaardian patrol. And the later jerks were just cheering at Geralt fighting the deserter, apparently having a lot of fun watching and not caring to catch him. After I cleared the area, patrol casually waltzed by, as if nothing happened.

Also, I discovered that Axii can actually be quite useful in combat (I had no idea). It can stun the opponents and Geralt can finish them with one move.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9613371 said:
After I cleared the area, patrol casually waltzed by, as if nothing happened.
Ay, the Nilfgaardian Waltz is quite popular with the rank and file of the emperor's armies.

In Skellige there are blue whales and ghost ships in the ocean. I just noticed this a few days ago while scavenging across the islands.

Axii is really something. It even affects a werewolf (I ended up fighting Niellen after he wanted to kill Margrit). I was just doing that quest at level 5, and that was a tough fight. Axii makes it easier.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9671291 said:
Is that intended, or it's random?
Loot has been roundly criticised: Often it's quite random. In this case, though, I seem to recall the Queen's treasure being a disappointment on multiple occasions.

sv3672;n9674591 said:
Those are among the best quests in the game, there will still be good ones later, but the larger quests in Velen (those related to the baron, the crones, or Keira Metz) are really well done.

Yeah. A screenshot from the quest:

By the way, is that really Lara Dorren's tomb, or just a shrine? Or it will be clarified later in the game? If there is more info later, just say spoiler :)

If anyone is interested, some conclusions about the Magic Lamp quest here. Iosueyu found an interesting reference to the legend about Lara Dorren's burial.

volsung;n9678401 said:
Awesome that it runs on Wine, and the screenshots look good! How does it perform though?

It's pretty good, but there is some room for improvement. On my current AMD Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 I get 40 fps on average with 1920 x 1200 resolution (max settings, hairworks off), and note it's using open Mesa driver! I didn't get to heavily populated areas like Novigrad, so not sure how it will work there. I'm planning to buy Vega 56 when Sapphire will make a Nitro version, and then hopefully it will push it to 60 fps.

Here is a screenshot with GALLIUM_HUD enabled, which shows fps and etc. I'm temporarily playing it on my Intel computer, since I'm in the process of replacing the motherboard for AMD / Ryzen one.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9034450 said:
That's right! There is (or rather was) something related to Iorweth in the game. Unfortunately there is no valid audio sample there. I got this with ww2ogg:

So may be it was cut, but initially there was something by Iorweth in the intro?

Indeed, it has been discussed in some older threads, Iorveth was planned to appear in the game in a few quests, but he was, to the disappointment of many people, cut from the final version. Unused bits of the game content still give hints regarding what might have been deleted, but the majority of time not enough is left to restore actual scenes, Iorveth for example is only present in some file names. The particular file you have found is for Pyres of Novigrad, one of the quests where he would have played a role.

Last edited:
While the modding possibilities are limited without the REDkit, tools made by the community do exist that allow for some level of content modification, a collection of these can be found in one of the stickied threads in the modding sub-forum. In the Devil's Pit mod thread by skacikpl, the people whose tools have been used are listed in the credits.

Hello! While I know that modding big stuff can be challenging and may require some creative approaches...this is a reminder that discussion of "questionably-obtained" software (of any sort) is not permitted on the forums.

That being said, let's keep the tone friendly and focused on the existing game and cut content.

Top Bottom