[DISCUSSION] Witcher 3 Screenshots and Artwork

+
You misunderstand AO, as it is used in games nowadays. It's a shadowing technique, it makes surfaces darker, not lighter. Basically, it's a hack, for the lack of GI.

Radiosity can be faked with ambient lighting or with point lights. I wonder BTW: does RedEngine 3 use lightmaps or is the lighting completely realtime?

Yup, as you say AO is there because GI isn't possible, but the intended result is still similar, to show which areas are illuminated and which aren't. GI does it by looking at the light, AO does it by looking at the shade.

But I think what we're seeing on the two images of the outdoor and bar scenes is the difference between using strategically placed fake point lights and ambient lighting to calculate the shadows and using "real" lighting supplemented by AO.

@amfibiya89 - On the indoor scene, if the sun is shining directly through the window, it would, as you say, cast hard shadows on that rectangle of the ground and overwhelm candle light. But it wouldn't explain the absence of light and shadow from the candles elsewhere in the scene, where the sunlight is indirect.

@amfibiya89 - On the indoor scene, if the sun is shining directly through the window, it would, as you say, cast hard shadows on that rectangle of the ground and overwhelm candle light. But it wouldn't explain the absence of light and shadow from the candles elsewhere in the scene, where the sunlight is indirect.

Ok. Here you can see it much better. There is window in right side of scene and you can see window shadow on the ground. So this is 100 percent. Look at candle which you say does not cast shadow.

1. the Candle which we were talking about casts shadow of candle holder to the ground where the direct sun light does not catch the candle. And this is exact soft shadow how it must have been. And you can see this kind of shadow in January bath footage too. So this is shadow wich candle casts.

2. there are 5 visible and 1 unvisible candle in left side of scene. And 1 on top of scene, big candle holder. Now every of them have light bouncing and cast shadow. For example
a) Look at Geralts body. There is yellovish candl's fire light bouncing. You can see it more clear in SOD trailer while in action.
b) Girl in left side of Geralt. Look at her right arm. Light bouncing from candle near her. Look at her left arm and left leg. Amazing soft shadow from her torso and her right leg which because of candle near her.
c)Look at wall in front off Geralt. Again. Light bouncing from candle. And shadow where candle light can not reach.

What must be there for you, you admit everything is ok and beautufil than last trailer bar scene.

3. I am not sure but i thing there is anomorphic lens flare in neariest candle fire. We already saw this kind of lens flares in e3 and 35 min demo. Now they are not in game too. This is another topic.

Attachments

• iuzdblGgsGt8z.jpg
    iuzdblGgsGt8z.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 63
Ok. Here you can see it much better. There is window in right side of scene and you can see window shadow on the ground. So this is 100 percent. Look at candle which you say does not cast shadow.

I'm sorry, but candles with spherical glows around them are, as far as I'm concerned, a clear indication of the use of "faked" lighting effects. The scene in the SOD trailer used strategically placed lights + ambient lighting + low-resource effects to achieve a specific overall look. It was an effective look, and you're welcome to prefer it to the new video, but in terms of graphical fidelity, I would still consider that the lighting and shadows of the new trailer, where an AO solution is used, is better.

I'm also not interesting in pursuing further discussion if it's now moved from comparing two videos to a video and a separately-rendered screenshot. There are a lot of inherent differences, and I'm not going there. Maybe someone else will.

I'm sorry, but candles with spherical glows around them are, as far as I'm concerned, a clear indication of the use of "faked" lighting effects. The scene in the SOD trailer used strategically placed lights + ambient lighting + low-resource effects to achieve a specific overall look. It was an effective look, and you're welcome to prefer it to the new video, but in terms of graphical fidelity, I would still consider that the lighting and shadows of the new trailer, where an AO solution is used, is better.

I'm also not interesting in pursuing further discussion if it's now moved from comparing two videos to a video and a separately-rendered screenshot. There are a lot of inherent differences, and I'm not going there. Maybe someone else will.

As you said. I prefer this to new one. So my opinion is fake lighting looks better :) (I do not think this is fake. in 35 min demo there was glow effect around candles too.) Anyway. THX for yor respond. This game is only game i am waiting for.

'Witcher Geralt examines yet another victim of the dreaded, but elusive, Downgrader, a vicious beast that continuously rears its ugly head to plague The Northern Realms.'

Attachments

• Downgrade.jpg
    Downgrade.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

'Witcher Geralt examines yet another victim of the dreaded, but elusive, Downgrader, a vicious beast that continuously rears its ugly head to plague The Northern Realms.'

And how Geralt understand that this is victim of DOWNGRADER. Because the shadow of victim is downgraded by Downgrader and candle cant cast shadow of this victim anymore.

EDIT: :p

As you said. I prefer this to new one. So my opinion is fake lighting looks better :) (I do not think this is fake. in 35 min demo there was glow effect around candles too.) Anyway. THX for yor respond. This game is only game i am waiting for.
Pretty sure that's just a lens flare effect. Used to dramatize lighting effects to make them look stronger. Which is dumb because candles do not cause that much flare.
Pictures VERY much related. Feast your eyes upon the game that decided to use lens flare on every single damn lighting source for no reason.

Attachments

• 2014-12-21_00003.jpg
    2014-12-21_00003.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 2014-12-21_00008.jpg
    2014-12-21_00008.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom