Dismemberment in TW3

+
When I first saw it, I was thinking "AWESOME!!!"

Then I came here, of course, to read other peoples reaction. Oddly enough you seem to dislike it. On a positive note though, it seems to be for lore reasons. So then I was like "hm mm".

But now that I've had a bit more time to think about it, I've come to the conclusion that I fucking love the dismemberment system that's been implemented in the game. I can imagine it would be conducive as fuck, to enter a fight, not get hit once and be able to slice every motherfucker apart. Like a boss. Visually, it looks spectacular. Don't even fucking lie about not liking it. Whether or not it's lore friendly is debatable but it looks fucking amazing. That's fact.

Personally, I can't wait to master the combat and fuck every bastard up in the most gruesome fucking ways. Because that's what war is. Fucking misery. The notion of Geralt being this ballet dancer of death and destruction yet never ever cutting any limbs off is so ludicrous and laughably implausible it's making me question the common sense of the good people of the Witcher forum. And last I checked, the Witcher games are going for the realistic, human, relatable tone.

In any case, I'm hoping that they don't scale it down but instead ramp it up. What I do hope however, is that dismemberment is a result of good play, rather than just putting a percentage, likelihood of you cutting off someones arm. Rather, I hope that while you're on your "hit-streak", each kill will end with a limb flying off. Thus encouraging people to master the combat and avoid getting hit or having your flow fucked up. Or something like that.

RED, I love you. Keep being awesome and believe in your own vision. Much love.

I'm loving the dismemberment, but dismemberment doesn't always go to plan. Sometimes you fail to cut straight through the torso, or the head just hangs there, still attached by some flesh pieces. That's what's missing if you want to make it a bit more realistic.

Then I came here, of course, to read other peoples reaction. Oddly enough you seem to dislike it. On a positive note though, it seems to be for lore reasons. So then I was like "hm mm".

But now that I've had a bit more time to think about it, I've come to the conclusion that I fucking love the dismemberment system that's been implemented in the game. I can imagine it would be conducive as fuck, to enter a fight, not get hit once and be able to slice every motherfucker apart. Like a boss. Visually, it looks spectacular. Don't even fucking lie about not liking it. Whether or not it's lore friendly is debatable but it looks fucking amazing. That's fact.

Personally, I can't wait to master the combat and fuck every bastard up in the most gruesome fucking ways. Because that's what war is. Fucking misery. The notion of Geralt being this ballet dancer of death and destruction yet never ever cutting any limbs off is so ludicrous and laughably implausible it's making me question the common sense of the good people of the Witcher forum. And last I checked, the Witcher games are going for the realistic, human, relatable tone.

In any case, I'm hoping that they don't scale it down but instead ramp it up. What I do hope however, is that dismemberment is a result of good play, rather than just putting a percentage, likelihood of you cutting off someones arm. Rather, I hope that while you're on your "hit-streak", each kill will end with a limb flying off. Thus encouraging people to master the combat and avoid getting hit or having your flow fucked up. Or something like that.

I love it too, RED will stay true to their own vision, no matter what we forum guys complain about.

Sken

Forum veteran
Dismemberment should stay, it looks great, and make sense for a master swordsman.

I think cutting bodies in half needs to go, that sends it over the edge into ridiculous territory.

I like that take on it, Foggy. Being on a roll is always satisfying. Arkham has numbers piling up on the side of the screen, and while there's this strange sense of gaming achievement when you reach "58 hits" straight without taking one yourself, it doesn't fit The Witcher.

What you're suggesting both makes the amputation more "special", as well as making the game respond positively to your fighting skills in a more rewarding way. No "c-c-c-combo" cries or numbers rising. Just the results on the battlefield.

Last edited:

Same here man, I fucking LOVE DISMEMBERMENT! Now Im reading the books and it's so cool to know that W3 will have much more realistic brutality from the books than it was in W2. Witcher 2 had little to none dismemberment at all, which imo sucked big time.

Wherever there is sword there is also dismemberment and blood. It's just the reality of fighting with a sword, and that's why swords were sharpened otherwise they would just carry iron rods or wooden sticks to battle. You can kill people with unsharpened iron rods if you hit them with it repeatedly, but they were sharpened and turned into swords to dismember people.
Cudos to CDPR for implementing it so masterfully.

Wherever there is sword there is also dismemberment and blood. It's just the reality of fighting with a sword, and that's why swords were sharpened otherwise they would just carry iron rods or wooden sticks to battle. You can kill people with unsharpened iron rods if you hit them with it repeatedly, but they were sharpened and turned into swords to dismember people.
Cudos to CDPR for implementing it so masterfully.

I agree :)

I think cutting bodies in half needs to go, that sends it over the edge into ridiculous territory.

Why? If I'm not mistaken, Geralt being a mutant is quite a bit stronger than a human, and so I'm certain he would be strong enough to cut an unarmored opponent in two.. Now if it's cutting armored opponents in half, then yeah, I'd agree that would be ridiculous..

I'm loving the dismemberment, but dismemberment doesn't always go to plan. Sometimes you fail to cut straight through the torso, or the head just hangs there, still attached by some flesh pieces. That's what's missing if you want to make it a bit more realistic.

You don't cut torsos in half without a lightsaber. Steel swords wouldn't even be able to cut a limb off if its covered by chainmail, well maybe if you hack it 6-7 times u may be able to absolutely shatter the bone to the point of the flesh tearing off but it will not be as clear as seen ingame. Swords aren't designed for cutting bones they are meant for cuts and stabs in the soft spots.
I just can even imagine a clean cut through an unarmored torso with a steel sword, let alone an armored one.

You don't cut torsos in half without a lightsaber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM

particularly after minute 7.

2h swords in particular seem to be able to cleave than i would have previously thought. Still through chain or even good leather or well spun silks might offer enough protection possibly to prevent outright cleaving through the body.

However since there is HP in RPGs, perhaps you can imagine that geralt is hacking at the same spot several times until finally the armor breaks. At this point he cleaves through the exposed flesh.

"No one's gonna fuck with you when you have a greatsword in your house."

yes. the vid is the cheesiest thing and absolutely gives me no inclination to use his services.

still if a middle aged ponch bellied mid-western american can chop clean through a pigs leg bone with his crappy 2 handed sword then i think a fella like geralt would be capable of a lot more.

Last edited:
Badtranslation of mine from Spanish book, Geralt to Iola:

To me, a meteorite is just a piece of metal .... which can make a sword.
See what light is? Even you can raise it effortlessly .. Not! Do not touch the blade , you'd cut yourself. It is sharper than a straight razor. Has to be.

He has not normal swords like those we know in our world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM

particularly after minute 7.

2h swords in particular seem to be able to cleave than i would have previously thought. Still through chain or even good leather or well spun silks might offer enough protection possibly to prevent outright cleaving through the body.

However since there is HP in RPGs, perhaps you can imagine that geralt is hacking at the same spot several times until finally the armor breaks. At this point he cleaves through the exposed flesh.

HaHa crazy hillbillies from Earth and their swords. The bottom line is.. Geralt is super strong and charged with magick power, just like his swords.
So hail to the choppy, chop!!

Guy dressed as a car salesman, probably going through a midlife crisis, hacking and slashing things to edgy metal music, trying to convince you to buy this thing as if it's some sort of home appliance. This video made my day, thank you! :lol:

"Don't go to my competitor." There's a competitive market for greatswords? Holy hell...

Hahahaha gotta love 'Murica

Top Bottom