Disturbing amount of Monster decks

+

kmpat

Forum regular
In the past 3 days I played with 65% Monster. Meanwhile, Scoia'tael is extremely rare.

Its not the Monster Deck per se, its the weather.

The two factions that can handle weather are the top of the list right now. First is monsters because it is not only immune to weather, but some units that are easily crafted (200 scraps) can cause weather effects (Caranthir, woodland spirit, etc.). So if you have a deck with 9 weather cards and 3 units that cause weather, this becomes impossible to beat. It is also very accessible to new players and very, very powerful (with some golden cards it can become the most powerful deck in Gwent according to what I ve seen so far).

Weather beats all tactics and the only counter to weather is dimeritium bomb/clear sky, but that can be countered with yet another weather card.

If I had to suggest a solution, it would be that clear sky renders immune all 3 rows to weather for the round it was used.

StrykerxS77x;n6890600 said:
IMO weather is the big culprit here. I think that the devs made a mistake by jaming weather abilities into the monster cards. It makes weather absurdly powerful for monsters and extremely hard to counter for other decks who must carry clear weather cards that hurt their overall power and on top of that clear weather doesn't even effectively counter weather by returning buffs. The devs need to drop some good updates badly. I kind of wish that weather was all on their own cards. Weather was so much more interesting in the original gwent. Now it's mostly used as an extra ability on monster cards instead of people actually carrying bronze weather cards.
I agree with your point, weather should be equal to any faction, not just for monster. Beside they're neutral card, not monster card.

Last edited:
Yeah, honestly, when I want a very surefire way to win, I always grab my weather Monster deck. It's very consistent. But yeah, there should be more variety in powerful decks.

Wertandrew;n6896880 said:
If I had to suggest a solution, it would be that clear sky renders immune all 3 rows to weather for the round it was used.
there is clear skies thread so u might find something useful there

SigilFey;n6890230 said:
This type of heavy favoritism is exactly what beta testing is for. Balancing things is really difficult, and some issues won't appear until tens of thousands of people are playing. Any theories on why the Monster Deck would draw such love? Are you losing a disproportionate number of matches against them?

I think there was a new batch of invites that went out (I've seen some *seemingly* new players in the room) and, as said previously, the Monster deck is an easy starter to draw new players. But, the weather deck is also drawing high level established players, so the only people not incentivized to play that faction are the ones in between without enough "good" monster weather cards but have enough decent cards in other factions to go beyond the new player Monster tactics and try other faction's tactics.

Koaalar.424;n6894790 said:
As said, weather is hard to counter... you need clear skies, and if you don't get it, your almost done for. Maybe add some row specific weather clearing cards to the other factions, like the arch griffin?

Precisely, each faction should have at least 1 unit similar to [card]Archgriffin[/card]. But I also think that the monster craze will die down as players discover and build some of the advanced tactics of other factions as well. It's too early for the meta to stabilize as it is. I'm hoping to explore Scoia'tel Control a bit more if I can get some of the right build-arounds (just got [c]Isengrim[/c], and I think he might make a control deck a blow-out. We'll see.

I actually really like Scoia'tael against Monsters, even the weather deck. Build the Squirls with the Any Row/Loyal cards that do field damage, ie, Dol Blathanna Archers and Vrihedd Officers. Add in a Clear Skies (hold until the latest you can) and some damaging neutrals (Lacerate and Alzur's Thunder for that Ancient Foglet) and you can disrupt the Monsters fairly well. I don't worry about buffing my own field. It's all about destroying the opponent's. Do I win every time, no, of course not. But I have a great time causing chaos. ;)

Skellige too many bugs against this deck.
NK and Green too vulnerable against skellige and monsters(weather).
Monsters the most bugged in favor of this deck. Also destroys NK and GREEN and better than Skellige. Monsters also the most versatile.

--- Updated 06-11-16, 17:37 ---

Exentryk;n6894670 said:
Weather currently doesn't really have any counters. But devs said that new special and unit cards that grant immunity to weather are coming. That should keep weather relevant while still giving other decks a chance against weather abuse.

There is a counter to weather. Play skellige(bugged so no fun) or monster deck(yeah!) :D

Last edited:
SolarasMind;n6897400 said:
I actually really like Scoia'tael against Monsters, even the weather deck. Build the Squirls with the Any Row/Loyal cards that do field damage, ie, Dol Blathanna Archers and Vrihedd Officers. Add in a Clear Skies (hold until the latest you can) and some damaging neutrals (Lacerate and Alzur's Thunder for that Ancient Foglet) and you can disrupt the Monsters fairly well. I don't worry about buffing my own field. It's all about destroying the opponent's. Do I win every time, no, of course not. But I have a great time causing chaos. ;)
Yeah, I like to play against them, too. Doing it differently, but Monsters are amusing anyway. :)

Win rate is 54% right now (sample size 26 matches Scoia vs Monsters).

So, I guess that Monsters don't automagically destroy "Green". Heck, even the fact that I don't actually know what the current flavour of "big no special monsters" stuff wants to achieve, says that Scoia can do well against Monsters.

What I as Scoia always have issues with is Skellige starter deck types. When they go Graveyard Zombies, I can handle them. When they go full Emo and hurt themselves, I can probably also handle them. But the odd starter mix causes odd problems. :lol:

Lytha;n6897760 said:
When they go full Emo and hurt themselves

Haha I love that.

Yeah, Skellige gives me problems as Scoia. If they've got a good mix of both Zombies and Warcry enhanced Emos, then I'm usually out of stuff to throw at them. I usually try not to let the match go to round 3 or at least in the previous rounds, harass them into using as many cards as possible.

"Oh, did you want that card?" Dol Blathanna Archer "Sorry, not sorry."

I actually like socia the most, but I haven't tried Skellige that much yet. But in comparison to monster I have to think a lot more. Reduce the enemie cards to the same power to optimize the effect of Vrihedd Officer. Which lanes to place your traps on depending what you think your enemy will play. How many cards does he has left, will he pass etc tc. With the leader ability theres a way to change tactics from Ambush to some special card buffing etc. I don't have enough cards yet to focus on a single tactic but it's fun.

I win more often with monster, but it always plays the same

When I wrote my earlier post in this thread, there truly were amazing amount of monsters on the move. After that it just stopped. Now I have been seeing all kinds of decks again. No idea what caused that Monster infestation few days back.

Sunsibar;n6905660 said:
When I wrote my earlier post in this thread, there truly were amazing amount of monsters on the move. After that it just stopped. Now I have been seeing all kinds of decks again. No idea what caused that Monster infestation few days back.
Meta changes daily. :)

2016-11-04, 19 total
8 Monsters (42%)
4 Northern (21%)
4 Scoia (21%)
3 Skellige (16%)

2016-11-05, 28 total
15 Monsters (54%)
11 Northern (39%)
1 Scoia (4%)
1 Skellige (4%)

2016-11-06, 20 total
9 Monsters (45%)
4 Northern (20%)
5 Scoia (25%)
2 Skellige (10%)

Looks like Saturday was more a rise of Northern AND Monsters than just of Monsters. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I do play a weather deck, and monster, since day 1 because it was cheaper to build and kinda fun. My winrate is around 60%, because I do make mistake, had some bad luck or, most of the time, because my opponents were bright and clever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maokiel;n6906130 said:
can you avoid insulting others in your comment
sure thing, didn't mean to insult. monster weather is actually a go to starter deck right now. cheap epics form the core. winrate is high enough to progress.

A post has been deleted. Under the rules (cited in my signature) it is prohibited to insult other users or social groups.

Personally I play mostly Monster decks those days... not because of "meta" (I try to avoid reading meta/deck building threads and prefer experimenting myself) or because I personally find it overpowered, no I play monsters simply....

...that's where I have the best cards.

I have multiple monster gold card, strong silver cards and most of the bronze while my other factions are.... lacking.

Personally I have the feeling that NR is probably more powerful than Monsters, it has resurrect, promote and multiple anti-gold cards... sadly I don't have any of those cards :)

I can't beat monster decks with my starter ones and I hate grinding for cards. This sucks. All my opponent plays is monster decks. They are the most powerful deck in the game by a mile and the stats show this. From being really good at low levels with the geralt opening, to the medium tier geralt ciri and all the way to the top with weather decks. They have the most stacked mechanics in the game and I haven't beaten a monster player in weeks. I'll always have a nice good game after any other deck. Not monster players though. Not until you get your much needed nerfs to the level of the other factions.

gamgee;n6906780 said:
They are the most powerful deck in the game by a mile and the stats show this.

What stats ? I doubt you have actual data about it. And a dev, even said in another post, that it's a false statement.

Top Bottom