Divinity: Original Sin

+
@Cormacolindor @227 @Smiling Jack

Sounds very solid! And that fight you described Corm sounds like some great battles I had in BG :) Thanks for the feedback :yes I've kept very light tabs on this game, but by the sound of it Glaroug would have an awesome time. Can't wait until its sitting on GOG with a cuddly penguin stamp :D

@.Volsung.Still playing, only in the second map, and enjoyment continues to rise. The first map looks & feels like I've seen 100%, but I know theres a few instances could've been handled quite differently (-15%), some things I know now I didn't know then (-10%), and the possibility to metaplay utterly differently than before (-25%), so personally i'd rate my game completion so far, and extrapolate to the finish, as 50-75%.

Playing as two will be my next round, picking up temporary companions for boss fights if necessary (chatty npcs related to boss mob quests near the bosses is a frequent occurrence), i've kept ignorant of one of the skill trees and intend both to have that next time (Witch tree - seems appropriate for roleplaying a more anarchic party), i'll be picking the edgier traits for them too, and bypassing some story by more nefarious means :p.

More companions would be nice, and more skill trees too, both so obvious avenues to reinvigorate the game lets hope Larian do, plus with the Toolset.... whatever else you think. NWN had a vibrant & long-lived community with constant improvements & alterations, precisely because it had the toolset.

Thank you all for your answers.

So, when @Kudos says "playing as two", is it because we can make our own party? Like Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil? If so what is the maximum party size?

If Wasteland 2 doesn't come out next month I might just pick this one up.

@.Volsung. : Without having played myself, as far as I know you play as two PCs to begin with which you both create and which you both roleplay. You even get to choose dialogue options for both and by choosing different options provoke conflict between the two. In addition to those two PCs you can pick up companions along the way that are like your classic companions as known from IE games (though with little depth character-wise afaik. Also, not sure if you get to skill them or if they're more like mercenary NPCs). Maximum party size is 4, I think.

All needs added to Aadens spot on description is you can choose from ~12 premade classes, or construct either / both from scratch. They can lead / follow/ solo / do all, agree / disagree whether solo or coop - players choice > rps minigame > each receives a point based on choices towards behaviour sliders that represent a trait choice, therefore rp consistency supported. Each can have 1 follower, and 1 summon. You can roll generic companions later..

@.Volsung. : Without having played myself, as far as I know you play as two PCs to begin with which you both create and which you both roleplay. You even get to choose dialogue options for both and by choosing different options provoke conflict between the two. In addition to those two PCs you can pick up companions along the way that are like your classic companions as known from IE games (though with little depth character-wise afaik. Also, not sure if you get to skill them or if they're more like mercenary NPCs). Maximum party size is 4, I think.
1) You can pick up two companions (more will follow in August). Companions have an own storyline and will talk with you from time to time.
2) Instead of companions you could hire various henchmen who only serve as additional manpower in combat. There is a lot of variety there.
3) You can level up your whole party, companions and henchmen included. It's the full RPG experience. You decide everything, what they wear, what they do, where they are good at. Since the game is classless you have a lot of freedom here.
4) You can pick up the companions at level 1. They have a basic profession but you could change that to every other profession that early in the game with the following level ups.
5) You always have two main characters. You can either roleplay them both on your own or you could assign various AI behaviours to them which causes them to answer automatically in conflicts/dialogue and you only control one character yourself.
6) Maximum party size is 4. On top of that each char can summon pets and creatures in combat so you might have up until 8 chars fighting for you in combat.
7) The engine itself supports parties up until 6 chars. So future mods might add bigger parties.

"So let us prepare, my savoury lasses! I mean to depart, so move your sweet asses!" Yeah, I just ran into that guy :rofl:.

Fun game, so far :) .

Hmm, I see. Weird. I suppose it's meant for multiplayer purposes.

Yes. The 2 characters can be played in coop, by 2 players, which is very neat. :)
I was going to post these first videos of Toegoff's Lets Plays anyways, in case some reader of this thread is still in the fence about this game.

I think I will get this (not sure when, but most probably instead of DragonAge Inquisition... :p )

the game is fine, however asking same questions to everyone and trying to read answers is a bit boring. what is the point of asking "what's the latest rumour" anyway?

Guys...how to repair items?
First you need a repair hammer in your inventory.

You can either right click on your item you want to repair and choose "blacksmithing" in the right click menu.

Or you could right click on the repair hammer and then left click on the item you want to repair.

Well that's that, @227 is right the last few bits were a bit rushed, and the puzzles were a bit overdone, but I still enjoyed it and it gives me hope that the genre might break away from the degenerative Bioware formula and embrace old school innovation and depth. Took me ten minutes or so but I beat the last boss like a red headed stepchild!

Think i'll download Div Div next.

Woah! This game is a lot better on hard, every combat scenario feels like a puzzle now(not dissimilar to Age of Decadence, but not quite that hard) and I've had some looong fights instead of roflstomping everything with my warriors.

In a lot of modern games and specially after the introduction of the "casual" difficulty, hard is the new normal.

Last edited:
@Username.: Thanks for pointing it out. I'd know to use hard there when I'll buy the game. In older games hard can mean insanely hard. But for example in TW1 and TW2 I preferred the hard setting and lower ones felt not challenging enough. So @.Volsung. is right, this seems to be a common trend these days.

This is one of those games with 3 settings, and the "normal" doesn't violate trading standards. Since my last post here i've had less time to play, but did decide to create a Party of Two, with the lonewulf trait (+HP, no companions ever) , and started again on hard, and it is, though not impossible, cleared the first map with them too.

fyi, party was a Witching Coven really, caster & melee duo, no pyro / geo skill trees to reduce landscape options, no marksman (its seriously OP) , some crazy traits available later to spice things up further.

Top Bottom