Divinity: Original Sin

+
Well that's that, @227 is right the last few bits were a bit rushed, and the puzzles were a bit overdone,

I completely agree !

Well, the rushed final part seems to be an issue with Larian games in general.
I liked that the puzzles were challenging, but there was a lot trial and error involved, to a ridiculous degree in some cases.
But overall I'd love to see more games like Divinity: OS.

I completely agree !
Well, the rushed final part seems to be an issue with Larian games in general.
I liked that the puzzles were challenging, but there was a lot trial and error involved, to a ridiculous degree in some cases.
But overall I'd love to see more games like Divinity: OS.

There isn't even one puzzle with trial and error. You can aquire tipps and hints for every puzzle, you just have to look for them. It's all about careful exploration in this game.

And the final part in D:OS was at least less rushed than the final part in Witcher 2... ::)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the game gave you a tip about the weight puzzle if you clicked on the statue, but the switch puzzle on the Immaculates library was really dumb so we agree on that one.

What about the weight puzzle with the vases ?
Or the puzzle with all of the switches where only one is the correct switch ?
All the stuff for the vases can be found in the level itself. The form and size of the pressure plates indicates the correct item as well. You basically only need clever thinking for that puzzle... ;)

I'm not so sure about the switch puzzle in the Black Cove tbh, I admit. I already solved that during the beta a few months ago...

All puzzles in the world can be approached by trial and error. That doesn't mean you are expected to. Trial and error is a method, not a type of puzzles. You might as well use intuition, heuristics, insight, knowledge, etc.

In any case, I'm really curious about this game. I'll play it eventually :)

In any case, I'm really curious about this game. I'll play it eventually :)

You certainly will, and I was going to leave you to your own sense of timing, but just noticed a post over Larians way that might help you get your damn finger out, slowcoach ! :p

It begins:

Planescape: Torment is one of my "favorite of all times" games. It makes me extremely happy to see a new cRPG as good as this one, with a strong old school feeling yet modernized with many current-day conventions. Some of my favorite aspects of the game are:

You certainly will, and I was going to leave you to your own sense of timing, but just noticed a post over Larians way that might help you get your damn finger out, slowcoach ! :p

It begins:

Well thanks for pointing it out but I don't know who that person is, so I don't know what to think about his opinion :p

In any case I might just go ahead and try it soon. Wasteland 2 was delayed yet a little more, now until the first half of September.

Neither do I, but his review was fair & balanced, though not entirely in agreement with myself. I figured you'd appreciate someone who loves PSTs point of view, since story seems to be most peoples criticism.

He needs to be told to click a checkmark button? He doesn't get "Save often to spare your blood pressure."? :whatthe: I won't even comment on his attitude. So yeah, my message to Larian? Don't listen to that guy : / .

Last edited:
Shows you just how much handholding and accessibility has taken over gaming, there's actually an audience who don't want challenge, exploration or even to learn how to play a game, they just want to press a button and be rewarded. Fucking Skinner boxes.

Actually, he failed the moment he bought a game with a turn-based battle system "which [he] can't fucking stand anyway." He clearly isn't within the target audience for this game, something that should have been obvious to him. His "arguments" are utterly irrelevant.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
Someone should send that dude the Drakensang games, or maybe Blackguards. The hilarity would be off the charts.

And what's the deal with the audio quality? Does he record audio through a broken webcam? Is his rage so all-consuming that it's somehow transported him into the 40s? You can pick up cheap USB microphones that do a way better job than that for less than the game costs.

But seriously, where's the popup that explains that you have to click on "New Game" to start a new game? I stared at the menu screen for like twenty minutes and nothing happened! WTF? Shoddy game design.

There used to be a time when people would read the manual, and games could simply start and let us play. GOG.com includes a digital manual, somebody should tell that guy things are explained somewhere, just not in-game because the audience doesn't need flashy pointers hinting at where to click next. But who wants to think during game time right? Thinking is school work. And he's done with thinking, err... I mean schoolwork alright. He doesn't even have to know anything about British English. He speaks american!

So why is he even playing this? He obviously doesn't know what he's doing and doesn't even like TB combat. Blackguards actually has a LOT of in-game information, but yeah it would be hilarious to see his head explode.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
Blackguards actually has a LOT of in-game information, but yeah it would be hilarious to see his head explode.
It definitely has one of the best explanations of The Dark Eye rules that I've seen, but Original Sin has a tutorial that explains everything, too. It's literally a few steps to the right of where he is when the video ends. Of course, that only makes the video that much funnier.

Wow... that was simply outrageous ! Everything he said was rubbish, and obviously I could rip it all to shreds, but theres no point as i'm quite sure everyone on this board sees right through his arguments diatribe.

I'm tempted to call it an indictment of the American Education system, but this guy obviously has no respect for learning or its institutions, or even it's application to improving life, and must point out there is no "language barrier" at all between American & British English. That term refers solely to situations where there is no language in common, the slight difference in spelling does not count, as the primary purpose of language - to convey meaning - is not affected. I have no problem understanding American English, even if it may look a little weird to me, sure they can spell defence / defense as defenz and i'd still understand it through context.

His impatience & lack of observational skills are startling. The body on the ground has nothing to do with the talk about Orcs, and the dialogue makes that clear if he had only listened, the over-sized scroll beside the body is there as a graphical hint to investigate the situation if the dialogue isn't enough already.

Oh and I suspect this guy did not actually buy the game, the start screen says "kickstarter edition", my post launch copy does not display that, I assume you must have been a backer to see that, and the chances that he backed the KS for a style of game he obviously does not enjoy is minimal, indicating a pirate copy, implying an unprincipled person who has not even paid for the right to be so irate. And you can adjust the points on that second screen, but first you must reduce a default stat - a little minus sign - before you can then reassign it.

Free speech absolutely ! Idiocy no thanks !

I'm tempted to call it an indictment of the American Education system, but this guy obviously has no respect for learning or its institutions, or even it's application to improving life [...]

Yeah, I think it's important to point out that, whatever state the American education system might actually be in, this guy represents neither me nor anyone else but himself (and thank goodness!)

@Jimmy_Qu; That's what I was going for, initial reaction tempered by considered thought. No education system is perfect, and it's my settled view that the students & their upbringing is a more important factor than whatever system they are under. Where the extreme self-assuredness of such obvious idiocy comes from is another question altogether, I suspect.

Top Bottom