DLC's are so stupid.

+
If TW2 would to work like Dragon Age 2 DLC where you can register to get free different types of DLC is kinda works out well but registering to all different stuff is a bit ridiculous just to get DLC.Having all different DLC is a little frustrating since some stores only get you the 'merchant dealer' while others get you something else entirely.Having to run around and deciding which one you like to best, it would be better if everyone got 'all DLC' or 'No DLC' at all to save the trouble of hunting around different shops just to pre-order the game.DLC is kinda stupid but it does make you feel a little greedy thinking that you want 'everything 100% content'

More and more people are like "it doesn't bother me", "just don't pay attention, DLCs are irrelevant", "just don't buy it if you don't want them"It's really sad that these people don't understand what's wrong with DLCs... they are those who lead video games in the wrong direction.

Well it doesn't bother me a great deal when it comes to games in general, it's just that having all different DLC's for one game...well it gets a bit much really.It seems the 'in-thing' or 'common thing' these days that almost every game on the market has atleast DLC these days.But funny enough 10 years ago games didn't even have DLC or much 'exclusive content' so it makes you wonder why all the need for DLC these days.

those DLC:s is just some incentive from the retailer to buy form "there" store. that said DLC:s is here to stay, just to much money in it regardless what all think there is a lot of persons buying these things to make money of it and making small adventures after release for some players my 2 cents anyway

Don't care. Retailer specific DLC is not going away. Just order the game from Gog, give all your money to the studio and get that sweet, sweet artbook instead of some rubbish armor.

I said buy two copies.. One Collector's Edition and another GoG.. Now who's with me? :p.. Yeah i'm probably mad but TW2 is really a masterpiece to have. We probably may not see another such beautiful game again.

archaven said:
I said buy two copies.. One Collector's Edition and another GoG.. Now who's with me? :p.. Yeah i'm probably mad but TW2 is really a masterpiece to have. We probably may not see another such beautiful game again.
O_OI bow at your fanboyism (no offense.... I really admire you!)thumbs up, sir :D

secondchildren said:
secondchildren said:
O_OI bow at your fanboyism (no offense.... I really admire you!)thumbs up, sir :D
Ahemm.. i'm sorry but i'm no fanboy.. in fact i don't have much interest in the witcher lore previously. I just felt that CDPR do deserves being supported for such a beautiful game. As i mentioned previously, in my entire years of PC gaming life i haven't seen such a beautiful game ever made.

Lets face the facts guys:DLC is degradation of old good ADDONS or EXPANSION PACKS.10 years ago developers made really major additions to game, that was at least 1\4 - 1\2 of original game, like new maps, new weapons, new monsters, new missions, new characters and continuation of original story.In addition do paid big addons\expacks developers usually included a lot of free maps, skins, new features and so on,While DCL itself could be Addon or Expansion pack, because DCL mean just donwnloadable content, it could be also content that was cut from full game, to make extra money for greedy publisher\developer.For example GTA 4 DLCs TBOGT and TLAD are 2 readl addons and expacks, they have 2 whole new stories, some new features, guns, cars and so on. Thats good type of DLC you can spent your money on.Another example is Dragon Age 1-2 or Mass Effect 2 - all the content (judging by date of annoucements and number of pre-closed doors) was just cut from full game, and that was pretty major part of game, sometime minor, but still part of full game that was cut. Thats bad type of DLC, and you should never buy it and pirate it with pride, because you paid for all this content and it was included in price of your full game.One more example is what called ULC (many people mess it with DLC, even developers and publishers), difference between ULC and DLC is simple - DLC is content that not inlucluded with ratail'digital copy of game and you should download if additionally, while ULC means UnLockabke Content, which is already in game and you should somehow unlock it, most likely by entering promo-code, completing achivement or buy paying extra $$$ to greedy publisher.So to put it simple ULC could be 2 types - reward type and bonus type, last one in most cases is bonus fore Pre-order, collectors editions and extra money.But actually ULC same bad as DLC and even worse, because its always content that was locked in game and wants some extra $$$ from you for unlock.I call both PLC (pre-locked content) and PCC (pre-cut content), and i hate both!In any case pre-locked ULC or pre-cut DLC for extra money or exclusive to some distributor is worst thing in gamedev after Matchmaking and online DRM.No matter how small or big this ULC\DLC, this is part of full game that was pre-cut to make your game-experience not full and to force you pay more to have full game, and this is real insult to gamers of all kind (even to those stupids who can not understand that they was just ripped-off) and we should not support this greediness and insult, we should resist, should fight it, should not accept it!Perhaps when most of gamers will understand that this is pure Rip-off and insult, publishers will stop milk us like cows and we will see again new era of free after-release content like Maps, Models, new game modes, new Stories and so on.... otherwise Bobby Kotick from Greedyvision and all the imitators will eat our money and our souls!))And yeah, one more thing - PLC and PCC means most likely NO MODDING SUPPORT, NO MOD SDK, NO EDITORS, NO FREE EXTRA CONTENT (at least for many month after release), or very limited support of this! Why? Because if someone would be able to make mods, extra content and spread it for free, their DLC business would be ruined, because customers could make PLC and PCC unlocked for everyone and could make even better free additional content.So i have my doubts of real reason, why editor for Witcher 2 is not included in release, and i have doubts that it would be ever included, and even if it would be, i suppose that editor would be very limited... just look at Crysis 2, no editor, no mod support but already built-in-game DCL store. Can you feel the taste of CDp greediness and CODefecation of Witcher? Expect 2-3 NOT FREE, and not very major DLCs for Witcher 2 in next 6 month, 5-15$ each!

yvain

Forum regular
The first mistake made is to assume DLC is somehow coded in advance as part of the full game, and then later willfully cut out of the main game just so it can be sold.Most of the time, if not all, the DLC material is created with it being DLC from the get go: the extra expense required to create the material is taken because extra profit will come of it, or in the case of promotional DLC because it is good for marketing.If it weren't going to be made as DLC, in most cases none of it would have ever been developed in the first place (the same goes for Day 1 story DLC).This is especially true when considering that the software must have the infrastructure to support DLC build into it in the first place. The end result that no one makes DLC on a whim, chopping random content out for inclusion later is just not done.Yvain

Yvain said:
The first mistake made is to assume DLC is somehow coded in advance as part of the full game, and then later willfully cut out of the main game just so it can be sold.
It really feels that way with some games though. For example, I was playing Dragon Age: Origins and a character was describing a quest to me, so I clicked to accept the quest and the dialogue choice was actually a link to the Bioware website to buy the DLC with that quest in it. I'm still shocked over that and that's pretty much when I decided I'm done with Bioware. Their RPG's aren't even that good anymore, and if I'm not going to get the full game when I buy it on release then I won't bother with the game at all.In any case, I really don't expect anything like that with Witcher 2 (CDPR are much more respectful towards the players and they really care about the quality of their games). That's why I've already pre-ordered it and can't wait for the 17th :-D

WardDragon said:
It really feels that way with some games though. For example, I was playing Dragon Age: Origins and a character was describing a quest to me, so I clicked to accept the quest and the dialogue choice was actually a link to the Bioware website to buy the DLC with that quest in it. I'm still shocked over that and that's pretty much when I decided I'm done with Bioware. Their RPG's aren't even that good anymore, and if I'm not going to get the full game when I buy it on release then I won't bother with the game at all.
o_O Wow! Worst immersion breaking moment I have ever heard...

Worse, that character stands there at your party camp (which you spend a considerable part of the game at), with an exclamation mark over his head, which, if I remember, only disappears if you do buy the DLC.

Kodaemon said:
Worse, that character stands there at your party camp (which you spend a considerable part of the game at), with an exclamation mark over his head, which, if I remember, only disappears if you do buy the DLC.
Penny Arcade's covered that. It's really hard to take Bioware seriously anymore.

You guys do realize that DLC is probably on the publishers part, right? I doubt CDPR has a say on DLC. Though I might be wrong

Xagnos said:
You guys do realize that DLC is probably on the publishers part, right? I doubt CDPR has a say on DLC. Though I might be wrong
I think DLC mainly exists as a way to counter the used games market. Even if someone buys a game used (which doesn't give any money to the publisher) they still have to buy the DLC digitally so the publisher gets some money from the game after all.Now Witcher 2 is being released only on PC (so far at least) which means people will buy it new. At least where I live, the game stores stopped carrying used PC games years ago. Also a lot of people will buy the game through Steam and GoG which means even more money goes to CDPR. (I feel guilty for buying the retail version since less money goes to them, but I really really wanted the physical goodies that come with the retail version)I don't think there's a financial need for paid DLC here since they're already getting money from each sale of the game. The pre-order item DLC's are kind of annoying but everyone's doing that these days and the items don't really seem like they will affect the game experience so I guess it's no big loss that I can't get them all. I'm not sure whether there will be DLC with actual significant gameplay additions. I expect that if there was, it would be like the bonus missions for TW1 where they were included with the enhanced edition and people who already had the game could download it for free. If there's a console version of TW2 that might complicate things (Sony and Microsoft don't like putting free DLC on their marketplaces) but CDPR could always do like Valve did with Left 4 Dead where the PC DLC was free but the Xbox version was paid-for.In any case, if there was DLC that was substantial enough I wouldn't mind paying for it. I'm just not sure how that would work for the retail version since it's not connected to Steam or GoG (I don't think I'd be able to buy the DLC through Steam and have it work on the retail version of the game).

CD projecks, I hope you wont punish Armazon buyers or GOG subscribers or Euro gamers vs Americans for some DLCs. I perfectly understand that it is about marketing and you want to give your publishers someways to differentiate your products. But please, for us, YOU ARE THE ONLY PARTNERS : YOU GIVE US ENTERTAINMENT AND YOU WE SUPPORT YOUR LIVELIHOOD - THERE IS NO MIDDLEMAN.there is probably not much piss about some dlc. But I really hope, eventually, the game wont just end after we beat the game. I hope modding tools, free small dlcs, as well as a fun forum to make friends with here will be my playground while I wait for witcher 3.

I dont care if Atari forces them to do this, I view them both as equal responsible parties in this matter.

I already people yellling at each other on piratebay regarding the game. :))This reminds me of Total War Medieval 2 which I still play. There is a big modding community which adds so much to the vanilla game. I mainly play Stainless Steel Mod, and don't bother with the vanilla game at all.But the mod still requires me to have a CD, legit version to play. My point is: you game is the foundation. Modders can add a lot more to your game, and indirectly bring you more customers as well as some ways to fight off piracy. If we, customers, all can afford $1000 pc plus $60 per game + DLC, and 3 games per years, we are probably earning as much as some executives. But executives dont have time to play games. I already pre-ordered the game on GOG. It is so good to provide me an "online storage", giving me the peace of mind that I can replay the game half a year later without worrying about worn DVDs. Yes, for a good game, and good money that is how long I will play the game. After all, only piracers can play a game for 30 mins and then forget it. In the time between, I still "make sure" to have every DLCs available by "any means necessary." well DLCs like the preorder bonuses

They cut out some alchemy related minigame and other features because of deadline or what not. I hope to see it implemented with patch at some point http://witchervault.ign.com/View.php?view=Editorials.Detail&id=7

Top Bottom