DLSS 2.2.11 works miracles (Remember to update Nvidia Drivers)

+
The version used for CP is the 2.3.4 and it looks like it's the same DLL used for Jurassic World 2 (I compared the files' size and they are identical), but I must say that the one I retrieved with this method gives me better results than the one found on TPU.
How do you confirm which version is used for Cyberpunk 2077? I mean if I copy it manually, the one file copied is being used but if I let GFE handle it, the dll in the game's folder will still be the old one it shipped with.

How do you confirm which version is used for Cyberpunk 2077? I mean if I copy it manually, the one file copied is being used but if I let GFE handle it, the dll in the game's folder will still be the old one it shipped with.
You have to grab the file from the directory I mentioned, rename it by changing the file format into DLL and check the file properties.
Or did you mean which version is grabbed from the game executable? If you are using the latest drivers+gfe the game will use the file in programdata, if you instead are not using the latest drivers the game's gonna grab it from the game's directory.

To be 100% sure use the program process explorer and check which dll the game's using.

So, the newer drivers do indeed update automatically the DLSS DLL if the game supports this feature, this happens through geforce experience.

This thread is so confusing... first you say the "drivers" update automatically, then you say it's actually with "geforce experience", which has nothing to do with drivers.

My simple question is : what's the best, easiest, most straightforward way to just update DLSS?

This thread is so confusing... first you say the "drivers" update automatically, then you say it's actually with "geforce experience", which has nothing to do with drivers.

My simple question is : what's the best, easiest, most straightforward way to just update DLSS?

The DLSS file is stored in
C: or D: \ YourGamesFolder \ Cyberpunk 2077 \ bin \ x64

There are three different ways to update that file:
  • to install Geforce Experience and let it use a newer version of the DLSS file
    which is stored in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA\NGX\models\dlss\versions\131844\files
  • to take the DLSS file from one of your other games installed,
    and copy-paste it into Cyberpunk's x64 folder, which will replace the old file
  • to download a newer version, e.g. from TechPowerUp,

For example, if you have Shadow of the Tomb Raider installed on Steam:
  1. Update to version 453.0, or alternatively:
    1. Right-click on Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the Steam library
    2. click Properties... ; click BETAS ; choose build449 - build449
    3. launch Shadow of the Tomb Raider, click play, accept EPIC Games' life assurance, then quit the game.
  2. Restart Shadow of the Tomb Raider until the launch menu says 453.0 or v1.0 build449.0_64
  3. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  4. Copy nvngx_dlss.dll which is version 2.3.2, then paste it in Cyberpunk's x64 folder.

Last edited:

GFE is part of the nvidia drivers package, then it's up to you whether to install it or not. Ok, GFE is not strictly driver related, that's correct, but it's quite understandable what I meant. Anyway, after further testing I found out that GFE does not need to be installed to get those folders. The updating process happens through another nvidia system service, maybe nvcontainer?

The DLSS file is stored in
C: or D: \ YourGamesFolder \ Cyberpunk 2077 \ bin \ x64

There are four different ways to update that file:
  • to download a newer version, e.g. from TechPowerUp,
  • to take the DLSS file from one of your other games installed,
  • to take the DLSS dll from Geforce Experience which is located in
    C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA\NGX\models\dlss\versions\131844\files
    rename it to nvngx_dlss.dll, then copy-paste it into Cyberpunk's x64 folder
  • to wait for the next gen patch. (Probably the easiest way.)
So, to be clear (because I share other's confusion!) - it always needs user-intervention and is NOT automatically updated by Nvidia? Or is it automatically updated but only if you launch it from GFE?

So, to be clear (because I share other's confusion!) - it always needs user-intervention and is NOT automatically updated by Nvidia? Or is it automatically updated but only if you launch it from GFE?
It's supposed to update automatically, but Cyberpunk doesn't support the new feature, yet.
At least in my case, it didn't automatically update from 2.3.2 to 2.3.4.

Last edited:
It's supposed to update automatically, but Cyberpunk doesn't support the new feature, yet.
At least in my case, it didn't automatically update from 2.3.2 to 2.3.4.
The feature does work.

If I keep the original dll in the cyberpunk folder then the drivers are gonna use the bin file stored in programdata, which corresponds to version 2.3.4

If instead I rename that bin file and I copy it into the cyberpunk folder, replacing the original dll, then this happens. As you can see the drivers recognize that you have the latest version and uses the dll from the game folder itself:

The feature does work.

If I keep the original dll in the cyberpunk folder then the drivers are gonna use the bin file stored in programdata, which corresponds to version 2.3.4

If instead I rename that bin file and I copy it into the cyberpunk folder, replacing the original dll, then this happens. As you can see the drivers recognize that you have the latest version and uses the dll from the game folder itself:

Thanks! That's an important distinction and also source of confusion for many people here. I think many assumed GFE was replacing the DLSS DLL in the game's folder, whereas GFE just loads a different one when the game as being executed.

Thus, the easiest way to have the newest DLSS version in use is to install GFE and let it do its thing.

However, me always being a bit of a sceptical person, I am going to confirm this behaviour as well.

GFE is part of the nvidia drivers package, then it's up to you whether to install it or not. Ok, GFE is not strictly driver related, that's correct, but it's quite understandable what I meant. Anyway, after further testing I found out that GFE does not need to be installed to get those folders. The updating process happens through another nvidia system service, maybe nvcontainer?
I hope I didn't offend you, I meant the thread AS A WHOLE was confusing, not just your post that I quoted. But, words are important when describing anything technical. English isn't my native language so maybe that's why I didn't understand that you meant drivers == "display drivers and all the other Nvidia bloatware".

Thanks to your (and DC9V's) explanations, it's all clear now.

The feature does work.

Never trust, but verify - you are free to guess my job XD
1637688140429.png

I can confirm the reported behaviour, DLSS does get replaced by GFE.

Hi everyone, if I may ask:
If I don't install GeForce Experience, do I simply not have the latest DLSS? I have always installed latest Nvidia drivers with the 'just the drivers' option.

If I don't install GeForce Experience, do I simply not have the latest DLSS? I have always installed latest Nvidia drivers with the 'just the drivers' option.
I think you do need GFE for this feature to work but you can test it yourself quite easily. Just use the Process Explorer @Malautomedontolo and I have been using and make sure you have the DLL view activated. Then, start Cyberpunk 2077 two times and check which DLSS file is being loaded and report your results here :)

Good question.

For shits and giggles and because I haven't updated drivers in ~6 months anyway. I whacked my GPU drivers and ran DDU to ensure everything NVIDIA related was no longer part of the picture. Since apparently major tech companies constructing proper uninstallers remains elusive. I then manually went snooping to ensure everything NVIDIA related was out of the picture (can never be too careful) and reinstalled the drivers without GFE.

After these steps I checked the programdata directory structure to see if there was anything NVIDIA related there. The programdata path with the DLSS files did indeed exist. It's interesting to note the 131844 directory did not exist. I launched Cyberpunk, loaded the game, exited out and checked the programdata directory with the dlss versions. Sure enough the 131844 directory had been created and contained a bin file (I assume this directory corresponds to CP). I converted this bin file to a DLL, checked the version and it's listed as 2.3.4.

From this it would appear the answer to your question is no. GFE is unnecessary. I'd assume when first launching the game some type of check is going on in the background to pull down the DLSS file where applicable. I suppose all of this kind of makes sense if you think about it. GFE is just a utility.

It would appear the DLSS file contained in my Cyberpunk directory is version 2.1.39. If I check which one the game is using when active it's ignoring the one in the game directory and using the 2.3.4 version in programdata. Putting this last part differently. With zero user intervention aside from fresh GPU drivers the game is using DLSS version 2.3.4. Whether it does so on a continual basis, or as DLSS versions receive updates, I couldn't say. It wouldn't exactly be shocking to have some delay between DLSS updating and the version used by the game updating.

Good question.

For shits and giggles and because I haven't updated drivers in ~6 months anyway. I whacked my GPU drivers and ran DDU to ensure everything NVIDIA related was no longer part of the picture. Since apparently major tech companies constructing proper uninstallers remains elusive. I then manually went snooping to ensure everything NVIDIA related was out of the picture (can never be too careful) and reinstalled the drivers without GFE.

After these steps I checked the programdata directory structure to see if there was anything NVIDIA related there. The programdata path with the DLSS files did indeed exist. It's interesting to note the 131844 directory did not exist. I launched Cyberpunk, loaded the game, exited out and checked the programdata directory with the dlss versions. Sure enough the 131844 directory had been created and contained a bin file (I assume this directory corresponds to CP). I converted this bin file to a DLL, checked the version and it's listed as 2.3.4.

From this it would appear the answer to your question is no. GFE is unnecessary. I'd assume when first launching the game some type of check is going on in the background to pull down the DLSS file where applicable. I suppose all of this kind of makes sense if you think about it. GFE is just a utility.

It would appear the DLSS file contained in my Cyberpunk directory is version 2.1.39. If I check which one the game is using when active it's ignoring the one in the game directory and using the 2.3.4 version in programdata. Putting this last part differently. With zero user intervention aside from fresh GPU drivers the game is using DLSS version 2.3.4. Whether it does so on a continual basis, or as DLSS versions receive updates, I couldn't say. It wouldn't exactly be shocking to have some delay between DLSS updating and the version used by the game updating.
I'm entering the extra-paranoid mode now, but have you confirmed that the DLL is actually loaded by Cyberpunk 2077?

I'm entering the extra-paranoid mode now, but have you confirmed that the DLL is actually loaded by Cyberpunk 2077?
According to Process Explorer it appears to be loading the bin file in programdata. It looks identical to your SS above, in fact. C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA\NGX\models\dlss\versions\160_B9DB490.bin is what is being loaded.

Last edited:
SOTTR doesn't seem to make use of the same .bin, instead it uses the game folder's .dll which is version 2.3.2 - since the latest patch. (The same dlss version has been used in the preceding beta.)

My guess is that each application is going to have its dedicated folder in ProgramData, and folder 131844 will be used for Cyberpunk.

Replacing the file with 2.3.4 does look great though:
20211124030138.jpg 20211124031330.jpg
4K ; quality mode ; ultra details ; RT_shadows: OFF

Last edited:
According to Process Explorer it appears to be loading the bin file in programdata. It looks identical to your SS above, in fact. C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA\NGX\models\dlss\versions\160_B9DB490.bin is what is being loaded.
It's interesting and good to know that this works even without GFE. However, reviewers must be aware of this because it can create non-negligible run-to-run variances.

SOTTR doesn't seem to make use of the same .bin, instead it uses the game folder's .dll which is version 2.3.2 - since the latest patch. (The same dlss version has been used in the preceding beta.)

My guess is that each application is going to have its dedicated folder in ProgramData, and folder 131844 will be used for Cyberpunk.

it looks great though:
20211124030138.jpg 20211124031330.jpg
SOTTR ; 4K ; dlss 2.3.4 ; quality mode ; ultra details ; RT_shadows: OFF
Also interesting :)

I had a look at Guardians of the Galaxy but the game keeps using the DLSS version it ships with.

Well, I was about to post that I didn't have that 131844 folder (I'd looked after the earlier posts in this thread and am sure it wasn't there) but... now I do. Created on 21st Nov, without me doing anything :)

I guess this means people won't be able to keep their 'preferred' DLSS version anymore, unless they avoid updating Nvidia drivers altogether?

Top Bottom