DLSS 3.0 update: with Frame Generation on, vsync/gsync is completely disabled, and framerates are uncapped, regardless of the NVCP setting.

+
GoG Galaxy release of 2077. Galaxy running or not running. GFE running or not running. No other software loaded, no overlays active.

Gysnc on in NVCP.
vsync on in NVCP.
No max framerate set in NVCP.
Cyberpunk 2077 settings sync'ed to the global settings.

No max frame rate set in Cyberpunk 2077.
Reflex on in Cyberpunk 2077.
DLSS 2.0 on in Cyberpunk 2077.
FG on in Cyberpunk 2077.

vsync box in Cyberpunk 2077 greyed out as soon as FG is switched on, and set to 0.

Game starts stuttering on loading screens and pre-rendered cutscenes, such as the intro movie. Benchmark gives max framerates of 2000fps upwards.

The only way of avoiding this that I have found is to set a max frame rate in NVCP. Even then, the benchmark is giving me max fps readings of 250-500fps. Stuttering on loading screens does not occur, however.

Capping the game's framerate below the monitor's refresh rate is supposed to happen automatically, isn't it? Why is this not occuring with FG on?

Nvidia driver: 528.24.
Windows 10 22H2, latest patches.
RTX 4090, 5900x.

Update: this issue appears to be limited to DSR/DLDSR resolutions. It can be circumvented by either switching Windows desktop into the DLDSR resolution prior to launching Cyberpunk 2077, or by returning the game to native resolution or below.

Last edited:
Yeah Cyberpunk doesn't ilke DLDSR and Gsync without changing the desktop resolution to DLDSR.

Which is unfortunate because the game runs and performs beautifully, but it's annoying having to change the desktop every time.

Everything works normally for me: GSync, VSync, with DLSS Quality and Frame Generation ON, in HDR.

Just be sure to NOT have set any frame limiters: in the NVCP Settings (globally and CP2077 specific), Rivatuner, etc.. The ingame Frame Limiter is ok though, i have set it to 120 like my monitor refresh rate.

AND you have to set the following settings in the NVCP for CP2077: Refresh rate highest availiable, Monitor Technology GSync compatible and Vertical Syncronisation (VSync) ON

Then Reflex will handle your max FPS ingame when Frame Generation is turned on.

This way I get 116 FPS max ingame and no screen tearing, works like a charm.

Game looks bonkers with everything turned to Ultra / Psycho in 4k DLSS Quality on my 4090 :ok:
No need to change my desktop resolution either...

Everything works normally for me: GSync, VSync, with DLSS Quality and Frame Generation ON, in HDR.

Just be sure to NOT have set any frame limiters: in the NVCP Settings (globally and CP2077 specific), Rivatuner, etc.. The ingame Frame Limiter is ok though, i have set it to 120 like my monitor refresh rate.

AND you have to set the following settings in the NVCP for CP2077: Refresh rate highest availiable, Monitor Technology GSync compatible and Vertical Syncronisation (VSync) ON

This way I get 116 FPS max ingame and no screen tearing, works like a charm.

Game looks bonkers with everything turned to Ultra / Psycho in 4k DLSS Quality on my 4090 :ok:
No need to change my desktop resolution either...

Including Hdr10 srgb?

That's the only issue I have, only hdr pq is available when frame generation is on.

Lors

Forum regular
There seems to be a major issue with FG enabled on Ryzen CPUs:

I tried every possible setting, except BIOS settings. Witcher 3 behaves exactly the same as you can see in the video link in the description. All people there in the comments are using Ryzen CPUs. Pls spread the word guys.

Unless you're using a DSR/DLDSR resolution, in which case Reflex does absolutely nothing to limit your fps, and you end up with max fps benchmarks in the 2000s that put extreme undue stress on your hardware.

[Edited for tone -- SigilFey]

Last edited by a moderator:
**Edit**
Strangely after I turned off DLSS in Cyberpunk & enabled Maximum FPS, returned to the game the problem went away (including the intro loading screens & cutscene movie before pressing the spacebar).

I then re-enabled DLSS with Frame Generation and the performance still normal.

Even stranger is that now, no matter what settings I choose I can't seem to bring back the stutters?
I've tested with Maximum FPS off, vSync On/Off both in various combinations with DLSS settings, but the problem has just vanished after the initial enabling of Maximum FPS.

I noticed that even though I set Maximum FPS to 50, the Benchmark shows 100fps.

Also all my NVCP settings are all default settings.

Hopefully it continues to run normally.

--
Exactly the same problem.

Stuttering on loading screens and pre-rendered cutscenes and intro movie.
In game FPS is no issue, until I open a menu then the stutters begin and it becomes unplayable.

Nothing on the system has changed and the game was running without issue (ULTRA + DLSS) prior to the update.

Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080
NVIDIA v528.24
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
RAM: 32 GB

Last edited:

I tried every possible setting, except BIOS settings. Witcher 3 behaves exactly the same as you can see in the video link in the description. All people there in the comments are using Ryzen CPUs. Pls spread the word guys.
Can confirm I have the same problem with a Ryzen CPU, stutters can sometimes trigger in the open world without opening menus. I also have the same problem in The Witcher 3, similar to what is described in this thread : https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...on-produces-severe-stutters-freezes.11111308/

I was able to fix frame gen on my Ryzen system using this method:

I'm curious to see if this helps anyone else. This method did not resolve the frame gen issues on Witcher 3.

Hi, I have problem when i enable DLSS 3 QUALITY AND FG ON i feel gsync is not working. When i turn off DLSS its smooth and no tearing .I have 4090 and 12900k. Is this game issue?

Hi, I have problem when i enable DLSS 3 QUALITY AND FG ON i feel gsync is not working. When i turn off DLSS its smooth and no tearing .I have 4090 and 12900k. Is this game issue?
Yea only way for me too fix was too force v-sync in NVCP or i would get alot of tearing

Hello.

Since this forum thread is quite high in the google results for "DLSS 3 Frame Generation screen tearing" I wanted to suggest a fix that worked for me, so that people coming from google can find a potential fix faster.

In Nvidia Control Panel, in the 3D settings for a specific game executable, I set the applications max framerate to slightly less than half of my actual monitors set refresh rate. My monitor is 144Hz, so I cap the in-game frame rate to 70 or 71.

I also set Low Latency mode to Ultra in this control panel.

Then launch the game and turn on DLSS3 with Frame Generation inside the game menu settings. Despite setting your frame cap to half your actual refresh rate in NVCP, Frame Generation turned on here will still double your in-game framerate - to achieve close to what your actual monitor refresh rate is, and with this method should not introduce screen tearing. I am achieving high frame rates with no tearing, with DLSS 3 FG turned on, in most games I have tried that support it.

Setting the framerate cap in NVCP should override or block the application/game menu setting, so you don't need to worry about conflicts. Anything set in NVCP should override the application's own setting (if you want to revert to the application having control, you set the setting back to "Application-controlled" in NVCP, just as it says).

This may not work on every game, but it has worked in most games I have tried. No guarantees, just something for people to try.

Top Bottom