DLSS 3 Frame Generation produces severe stutters/freezes

+
Won't that hurt general CPU performance? I rather just go return this and get a CPU that isn't making me a Guinea pig. AM5 seems like it's going to have a rough few years since it's new.
Ofc in gereral SMT or HT (if you have Intel procesor), overall give more performance but not right now in W3 NG dx12, this game has very low multi thrid procesor usage (more cores don't equals more performance), only higher IPC on procesor coud boot this game performance. Like overclocking CPU or disabling SMT/HT, could give you more processor boost clock speed and this equals more IPC performance, regardless of whether it's on an amd or intel procesor.

So exactly who is going to fix this? AMD or NVIDIA or CDPR?

Since every other game with DLSS 3.0 appears to be working perfectly (for me at least), I assume CDPR? It's only their 2 games giving me hell with frame gen.

The only game I have not tried Hogwarts Legacy, I wonder if the DLSS 3.0 in that also causes similar issues on Ryzen and not Intel. But so far this seems isolated to the 2 CDPR games.

It's CDPR for sure i'm not having any issue with other games with DLSS3 other than 2 games made from them.
i'm done buying games from them.

I'm done believing in this guys.

Both CP2077 and TW3 (which I bought 2 times) run awful on a 7950x w/4090 rog strix with frame generation, nobody seems to care.

I'm done believing in this guys.

Both CP2077 and TW3 (which I bought 2 times) run awful on a 7950x w/4090 rog strix with frame generation, nobody seems to care.

Yeah the lack of anyone saying anything from CDPR is actually kind of nuts. This is a huge problem.

I got a great deal on my AMD system, Ryzen 7900x, 32gb ddr5, motherboard combo deal for $550. So I decided not to return it over just 2 games, as it's likely the fault of developer as literally no other FG game presents these issues. Hopefully they fix it.

Last edited:
Looking forward to read some reports from new 7950X3D users in the near future.

Doesn't that chip turn off/on certain CCD dynamically, could that maybe prevent this issue?

AMD's decision to defer the launch of the 8-core 7800X3D appears to be more of a business-minded one: Why not push a few 12-core and 16-core 7000X3D processors before bringing in the $450 8-core part that could potentially cannibalize them? The 7950X3D and 7900X3D achieve their core-counts using two 8-core CPU complex dies (CCDs), or chiplets. Only one of the two pack 3D Vertical Cache, while the other is a regular "Zen 4" CCD. The one with 3D Vertical Cache has a total last-level cache size of 96 MB; while the other CCD has 32 MB. This way, gaming workloads that are content with 8 cores, are localized to the CCD with the 3D Vertical Cache, while the other CCD only steps in as needed. For non-gaming multi-threaded workloads, you get the raw compute muscle of both CCDs, and the 24-thread or 32-thread parallelism they bring.

On intel platform there are similar problems. From time to time, especially after cinematics or after using quick journey I have enormous stuttering. Frame time is all over the place. It can spike even up to 200 ms. FPS drops to 4-5. Game is unplayable. Also in that case utilisation of GPU jump to 100%. Normally is around 70-90%. If I manage to save and load game problem is gone.
In general, patch 4.01 in my case solved most of graphics glitches and performance stays the same (60 FPS cap, graphics setting high, RT performance). Still though there are some problems with RT implementation as you can see on screenshot attached. Also some shadows flickering appears from time to time.
Im playing without any mods.

13700KF, 5,5 Ghz
RTX 3090 SuprimX
32 GB GSkill 7200 Mt/s cl 36, XMP
970 evo
resolution 5760*1080

Bez tytułu.jpg

Anyone tried with latest patch? As they didn't mention anything I assume it's still a stutter fiesta?
It was working ok with 4.01 on RTX4090 + 5800X3D, but on the 4.02 with framegen on it crashes after a couple of minutes. I did a DDU + clean install, and also reinstalled the game. I've got some mods installed (BIA, DLC - Events, POTP, E3 Quen + some .ini for better raytracing) so it might be related to that, but then again the game didn't crash when framegen was off.

Edit: I just did a quick test -- I've disabled framegen and just walked around for 10 minutes with no crash or stutters. Then I've enabled it back again and surely enough the game crashed, twice in under 5 minutes. So yeah, we need to wait for a fix.

Last edited:
Yeah, tried it myself, got a few crasches and is still stuttering when exiting menues and the like.

As this is an issue with DLSS3 in CP too and they still haven't hotfixed any of these games, I'd say a fix is not likely. DLSS3 will stay broken in these games when using ryzen.

I'm having this exact issue on my system with both cyberpunk and witcher 3. I have a ryzen 9 7950x and a 4090 and with frame gen on it stutters/freezes every 2 seconds non stop until I pause and un pause the game or the game loads me into a new area or I go into menus and back out.

Post automatically merged:

Yeah, tried it myself, got a few crasches and is still stuttering when exiting menues and the like.

As this is an issue with DLSS3 in CP too and they still haven't hotfixed any of these games, I'd say a fix is not likely. DLSS3 will stay broken in these games when using ryzen.
Are you stuttering like this?

The latest hotfix fixed the crash, but now the stutters make the game unplayable with framegen on. In 4.01 and 4.02 pre-hotfix, the stuttering was almost non-existent for me, now when there's a cutscene, a dialogue, or in densely populated areas it is unbearable...

I'm having this exact issue on my system with both cyberpunk and witcher 3. I have a ryzen 9 7950x and a 4090 and with frame gen on it stutters/freezes every 2 seconds non stop until I pause and un pause the game or the game loads me into a new area or I go into menus and back out.

Post automatically merged:

Are you stuttering like this?

Yeah, exactly lke that, but mine stops after some seconds while yours just seem to go on :eek: And like everyone I've read about here and on other forums, you have a Ryzen. I'd say it's pretty clear the issue lies with that.

However, with the latest patch, when I first tried it again it stuttered like 5s so I turned it off completely. Today when playing B&W I decided to try again and the stutter was much less, like only 1 sec, so I thought "I can live with this". BUT instead the game insta-crasches after 2-3 min when using DLSS3 now, tried 5 times :/ So back to sub-60 fps I guess.

Top Bottom