DLSS 3 is broken for many of us - Potential Cause Identified with interim workaround

+
I can confirm that on the Steam forums, many of us have been complaining about the current state of the game post DLSS 3 integration. I have been unable to play almost entirely due to persistent game crashes to desktop and the game refusing to load saves when DLSS is enabled. I've managed to isolate the cause to DLSS, and with the help of the community, to get around it by changing the name of one file. This may help some of you to "fix" the issue until CDPR can resolve (pray they read this).

Go to your Cyberpunk folder and then your Bin subfolder > x64 folder and inside that folder look for "sl.common.dll" file - rename it to: _sl.common.dll

Basically just add the underscore at the beginning and save the file. You'll notice in game that the DLSS options are all greyed out completely and disabled. This will trick the system into negating all DLSS and you will most likely not have anymore crashes relating to DLSS (if you've had the same problem as many of us).

For what it's worth, I'm running a 13900kf with RTX 4090 and 32gb RAM at 6000 Mhz. I've heard that overclocked RAM can cause issues, but haven't tried underclocking because I'm not going to do that if one game is giving me trouble due to poor integration and coding. I hope that this thread helps others and in the meantime, helps the devs to actually identify the root cause of the problem and make a permanent fix that allows us to actually use DLSS 3 in the game without crashing persistently.

There's obviously a file error somewhere or some other kind of conflict. Please devs - work with us here.

I can confirm that on the Steam forums, many of us have been complaining about the current state of the game post DLSS 3 integration. I have been unable to play almost entirely due to persistent game crashes to desktop and the game refusing to load saves when DLSS is enabled. I've managed to isolate the cause to DLSS, and with the help of the community, to get around it by changing the name of one file. This may help some of you to "fix" the issue until CDPR can resolve (pray they read this).

Go to your Cyberpunk folder and then your Bin subfolder > x64 folder and inside that folder look for "sl.common.dll" file - rename it to: _sl.common.dll

Basically just add the underscore at the beginning and save the file. You'll notice in game that the DLSS options are all greyed out completely and disabled. This will trick the system into negating all DLSS and you will most likely not have anymore crashes relating to DLSS (if you've had the same problem as many of us).

For what it's worth, I'm running a 13900kf with RTX 4090 and 32gb RAM at 6000 Mhz. I've heard that overclocked RAM can cause issues, but haven't tried underclocking because I'm not going to do that if one game is giving me trouble due to poor integration and coding. I hope that this thread helps others and in the meantime, helps the devs to actually identify the root cause of the problem and make a permanent fix that allows us to actually use DLSS 3 in the game without crashing persistently.

There's obviously a file error somewhere or some other kind of conflict. Please devs - work with us here.

Have you sent CDPR a support ticket?

If you go here and select "Contact Us" you can write up a ticket:

sw333

Forum regular
I am currently testing on 12900K and Rtx 4090 but no crashes. But i am using only Frame Generation ON in 1440P ,DLSS 3 OFF. Is that matter?

Have you sent CDPR a support ticket?

If you go here and select "Contact Us" you can write up a ticket:

No, better praying CDP's gonna read it! :D
So much news-broadcast-like drama!

BTW I am having no crashes since the DLSS3 patch came out, with frame generation AND/OR with DLSS2 enabled. Many users also have mods installed or didn't delete them properly, causing troubles in the end.

So OP, the problem is most likely the instability of your system. You don't know what the developers modified in the code, as well as the way drivers themselves communicate with HW and SW. They might have introduced a change that brought up an instability issue you always had.

2+2 is always 4, if it's 5, then you get an error.

You refuse to clock down your RAM modules? So you will never know what's going on. First thing to do is bringing your HW components to stock speed, then you can blame CDP or any other for your crashes. ;)
I've had some problems with my HW in the past, thinking I was 100% rock solid and such, but every game engine is a different story, and sometimes you have to put the pride aside and test again with different settings.

If it was a bug in the code, CDP would have already acknoweldged that. See TW3 for instance, Frame Generation was causing a driver timeout and subsequently a crash of one of its components, nvlddmkm.sys specifically, which has been shortly afterwards fixed.

Last edited:
New technology = new issues. That's always been the way of it.

First thing to look at will always be mods. Mods rely on data from a particular version of the game. If you change the game, via a patch or update or expanded content, then of course the data referenced by mods will not necessarily work. This requires mods to be updated by the authors in order to get them working with the game.

To test if this is the case, back up your saved games, remove them from the save folder, remove all installed mods, and begin a new game in 100% vanilla CP2077. If the problem persists, you'll know that it has something to do with the game itself. (Which, is totally possible with new tech.)

Lastly, a reminder to all that the forums are a community group. There is no official CDPR tech support offered here. In order to reach CDPR Support, players need to submit a ticket via the official system.

Thank you for sharing this workaround and your experience with DLSS integration in Cyberpunk. It's frustrating when a game update causes issues and impacts the player's ability to enjoy the game. Hopefully, CDPR will be able to identify and resolve the issue soon, but in the meantime, your solution may help others who are experiencing similar problems.

Top Bottom