DLSS Balanced vs. Quality (1440p)

+
Given the good experiences I've heard of people using DLSS Balanced in Cybperunk 2077 in 4k I wanted to give it a try in my 1440p (5120x1440) setup so I can go ahead and activate Psycho RT effects as well. It turns out, I am unable to notice any difference in a static comparison:

However, I assume reconstruction of the image should have more artifacts but to my eye it seems equal. Do any other people have any experience with DLSS on 1440p? I'm currently using 2.4.0 by the way ;)

Also, I'm shamelessly pinging people who might have experience with DLSS, so here you go folks^^ (@DC9V, @Notserious80 and @BabaBooey88) Thanks :)

Tbh i cant really see any differance at 4k with performance DLSS. Sometimes its even better then at native. Small thin stuff in the distance can be seen in some cases too be more detailed with DLSS even.

The first pic there has som chain fence for example. that could be worse or better with dlss. Movement can also create some weird stuff with DLSS on and its more noticeble when moving and not gaming ^^ Differance between quality and balanced at 1440p is 1080p vs 900? not sure it will be that easy too see a differance in that ;)

Differance between quality and balanced at 1440p is 1080p vs 900? not sure it will be that easy too see a differance in that ;)
No, DLSS Quality is 2/3% and Balanced is 58%. Hence, Quality has a 960p render resolution and Balanced a 835p render resoltuin.

The first pic there has som chain fence for example. that could be worse or better with dlss. Movement can also create some weird stuff with DLSS on and its more noticeble when moving and not gaming

All pictures are with DLSS, one with Quality and the other with Balanced. In the end, I switched back to Quality now because it seems like the image reconstruction is a tiny bit faster with Quality than Balanced. (Would be interesting to have a test without knowing which settings is selected). Anyway, it seems to me like I notice the difference between Quality and Balanced more than with Ultra RT and Psycho RT.

I wish there was a DLSS slider to adjust percentages, than I could pick something in between Quality and Balanced, like 900p.

I'll comment on RT/resolution scale as that's where the more immediate difference can be noticed aside from how blurry 1440p vs any DLSS 4K setting is.

First up is the various RT Lighting settings. Keeping it simple; RT lighting medium<RT lighting Ultra<RT lighting Psycho. The higher your setting is for this parameter, the more lighting data the API has to work with. That means noise is reduced because it's not having to interpret the difference between shadow/light as much and that's where noise comes from. It's why it is most noticeable in the evenings, alleyways, under bridges, etc. The major benefit to running Psycho is denoising quality because the differences otherwise are quite minuscule - GI bounce lighting is not that noticeably different over standard lighting from what I've seen because it doesn't override the game's base faux GI data. (There was a noise issue introduced in 1.5 with skin shaders caused by the RT radius adjustments the devs made. It's noteworthy, but not entirely what I'm getting at here.)

Semi-gloss, high-frequency texture, reflection noise is a different beast that seemingly needs more development on the API side - it's an issue in the few games that have the effect implemented and it's there even at 4K native. Perhaps it's not at 8k but I don't have an 8k monitor, nor do I have a 3090Ti, so testing it isn't even an option for me. Take a look at the patch work on the road in the second image, left of center. Larger, fuzzier, reflection splotches at balanced than quality. Is the game ruined? No. Did you even notice? Doesn't seem like it. It's an example of RT quality effected by resolution and scaling though. Even though it's a "reflection", the texture density coupled with high contrast between shadow/light create a scenario that noise can't be avoided - The API simply can't understand what you're looking at in the given resolution. We can get more into why it's here and not in actual reflections, such as water or clear coats another time perhaps.

Back to lighting specifically - RT lighting quality is impacted by resolution as well. Assuming native resolution, just to keep it simple; RT Ultra at 4k should present roughly the same, perhaps even less, noise as RT Psycho at 1440. RT Psycho at any resolution will render better than any of the other RT settings at the same scale just as RT Psycho at quality DLSS will render better than RT Psycho at balanced and it will render best at native. I can see better diffuse AO and local diffuse lighting in your images at quality vs balanced. You didn't seem to notice it though, so does it really matter?

It's a similar case for volumetric fog. Resolution - DLSS quality x volumetric fog quality, or something to that effect, determines how prevalent aliasing of emissive volume data will be.

I can't go over all of these details with images as I don't have the game installed at the moment.

Seeing as you're running RT Psycho lighting, meaning your have some frames to spare, I'll make a suggestion for you.
Set RT lighting to Ultra, or keep Psycho if you really insist, and create a new ini file in the engine\config\platform\pc folder.
Inside the ini type the following:

[RayTracing]
EnableImportanceSampling = false

Ever look up at an overpass in the middle of downtown in the mid night (Near Embers comes to mind) and see the diffuse lighting abruptly cutoff to start darkness? Did you walk forward and notice that more diffuse lighting was filled in with your movement? That's importance sampling at work. The game's obnoxious volumetric fog hides this to a certain degree, but it will be a requirement for my Ghost In The Shell env mod since the fog is reduced to a level where it can't be unnoticed with RT lighting on at any setting.

BabaBooey88 I appreciate the insight you have provided. I'm on a 3080 with a Samsung g9 Odyssey and trying to get CP2077 to look its best has been a complicated endeavor . It is a gorgeous game but I wish that the game developers who make use of the newest graphics techs would consider offering guides to players for taking best advantage of the engines and their own hardware. Trying to sync up the Nvidia settings with the game settings etc. can be a mf!

DC9V

Forum veteran
Given the good experiences I've heard of people using DLSS Balanced in Cybperunk 2077 in 4k I wanted to give it a try in my 1440p (5120x1440) setup so I can go ahead and activate Psycho RT effects as well. It turns out, I am unable to notice any difference in a static comparison:

However, I assume reconstruction of the image should have more artifacts but to my eye it seems equal. Do any other people have any experience with DLSS on 1440p? I'm currently using 2.4.0 by the way ;)

Also, I'm shamelessly pinging people who might have experience with DLSS, so here you go folks^^ (@DC9V, @Notserious80 and @BabaBooey88) Thanks :)
Based on your screenshots, I think that in Quality mode the lighting which gets disseminated by the fog, looks a bit more accurate. Also the reflections on the ground appear sharper to me, as the higher resolution seems to allows for more colour contrast in certain areas of the image. However, the difference would probably more noticeable at 2160p, when comparing the Quality with the Performance mode.

@BabaBooey88 Hehe, so I was right to ping you specifically ;) Thanks for your input.

GI bounce lighting is not that noticeably different over standard lighting from what I've seen because it doesn't override the game's base faux GI data.
Imho, GI is also noticable which can be seen in this comparisons:

Everything looks a touche more natural.

Perhaps it's not at 8k but I don't have an 8k monitor, nor do I have a 3090Ti, so testing it isn't even an option for me.
I will quickly derail the topic here, but I'm really looking forward when 8k monitors will be a thing. Not so much in order to get one myself, but rather that at this point in time, there will also probably be 7680x2160 screens around with beefy enough GPUs to run this sort of thing :LOL:

Larger, fuzzier, reflection splotches at balanced than quality. Is the game ruined? No. Did you even notice? Doesn't seem like it.
Ah, no I notice it as well, thx for pointing this out.

ust to keep it simple; RT Ultra at 4k should present roughly the same, perhaps even less, noise as RT Psycho at 1440. RT Psycho at any resolution will render better than any of the other RT settings at the same scale just as RT Psycho at quality DLSS will render better than RT Psycho at balanced and it will render best at native. I can see better diffuse AO and local diffuse lighting in your images at quality vs balanced. You didn't seem to notice it though, so does it really matter?
Thanks again for this explanation. No, I did not notice it at first but I might notice/prefer the other in the long run. Thus, with the information you provided I am able to make a more educated decision.

Seeing as you're running RT Psycho lighting, meaning your have some frames to spare, I'll make a suggestion for you.
Set RT lighting to Ultra, or keep Psycho if you really insist, and create a new ini file in the engine\config\platform\pc folder.
Inside the ini type the following:

[RayTracing]
EnableImportanceSampling = false

Ever look up at an overpass in the middle of downtown in the mid night (Near Embers comes to mind) and see the diffuse lighting abruptly cutoff to start darkness? Did you walk forward and notice that more diffuse lighting was filled in with your movement? That's importance sampling at work. The game's obnoxious volumetric fog hides this to a certain degree, but it will be a requirement for my Ghost In The Shell env mod since the fog is reduced to a level where it can't be unnoticed with RT lighting on at any setting.
Ok this might b a bit of a misunderstanding, but at DLSS Quality I was running the game at RT Ultra, whereas I switched to RT Psycho when I lowered to DLSS Balanced. So, I don't have any more FPS to spare on Quality.

That being said, thanks for mentioning this custom setting. I will try it and see what kind of changes it makes :)

In general: As mentioned above, I have decided to switch back to DLSS Quality. The difference is not noticeable in my screenshots but you can see what I'm talking about here:

I noticed that the noise was more prominent on Balanced than on Quality and it also took (a fraction) longer to clear up. However, in the end I noticed this a bit more than on Quality and this led to me switching back to it.

Top Bottom