Do away with or adjust “Basic” and “Advanced” leader categories

+
I think they should be removed as they are, or at the very least, adjusted to make sense. I understand they want to provide a suggestion for an easy to use leader that doesn’t require much strategy or deck construction, but the leaders they have in each category are outdated.

For starters, I definitely think there are more than 2 basic and less than 5 advanced leaders for each faction. I guess they want it to be the same, but these designations don’t make sense anymore since a lot of leader abilities have been reworked and changed.

Monsters: I agree with the designations for the most part, although I’d consider Fruits of Ysgith to be a basic leader too. While certainly you can use it for some strategies, it’s a pretty basic leader that doesn’t require much from your deck to get value. Although it does have advanced plays.

Northern Realms: I think Royal Inspiration and Uprising need to be switched. With Royal Inspiration’s recent rework to work with Grace, it’s easily an advanced leader now as it requires a specific deck and good strategy to get constant value from it. Uprising is just a point slam leader ability, which is really basic. They should switch places.

Scoia’tael: Deadeye Ambush and Guerilla Tactics need to be switch. Since Deadeye Ambush doesn’t transform traps anymore, it’s become a basic point slam leader. While you can do some cool combos with the Deadeyes, it’s really just a basic leader. Guerilla Tactics is advanced I think. It’s only 6 points, but requires a lot of deck set-up to get higher value, plus strategizing on what you’re moving. I think they should switch.

Skellige: Just like Royal Inspiration, Onslaught after its rework shouldn’t be considered basic anymore. It requires good strategy and set-up to get more value, and requires a certain style of deck as well as play to utilize its passive. Patricidal Fury and Blaze of Glory in my opinion are basic leaders though. While you can do some advanced plays with them, they’re pretty basic value leaders that don’t require a lot of thinking to get good value from them.

Nilfgaard: I agree with the designations for the most part. Although I think you could argue for swapping Imperial Formation and Tactical Decision. I think both of those leader abilities could be in either category. As they both are easy to get their value, but also require some strategy with play and deck-building to get more value.

Syndicate: I agree with the designations except for Pirate’s Cove; it should be under the basic section. It’s just a point slam leader that gives you a spender if you don’t have one.

Top Bottom