Do I have a corrupted Save Game file?

+
I have been getting a lot of crashes in different places in Chapter 2, usually when I'm wandering around Vizima, but also in the swamps.

Is there a way to know if the crashes are because of a corrupted save file, or just because of randomness?

This is a crucial question, because if it is just random graphical glitches, then no problem, but if the save file itself is corrupt, it would need to be deleted to prevent further crashes.

Can a tech support person give me advice about this?

Thank you very much.

Crashes in the swamp area are not that unusual, so it’s probably not a corrupt save game.

However, sometimes having too many savegames causes issues. Removing some of the older ones might be a good idea and help with the crashes.

Other than that, all Witcher games can‘t handle overclocked/underclocked PCs very well. Should your GPU, CPU or Ram be overclocked, it‘s best to change that.

And there‘s a support website with further ideas and a direct link to support:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-1/pc/sp-technical/issue/998/my-game-crashes-6

Something other things you may want to look at:

1.) Ensure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). Protected directories can wreak havoc with games -- especially legacy titles. Always install to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation. For example: C:\The Witcher\... or C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher\...

2.) Make sure the game is added to the exceptions list of any anti-virus or firewalls you may be using.

3.) Try editing the compatibility settings of the game's .EXE. Setting it to "Windows 7" and disabling scaling at higher resolutions are good places to start. If that seems to have no effect, try "Vista" or "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)".

4.) Be sure you have installed any and all Microsoft Redistributables that come with the game. These can often be found on the installation disk / directory in a folder called "redist".

Thanks, I am running the game with the -DontForceMinSysRequirements in the launch file, so you can see that I don't have the graphics card to support all the features, I am using HD Intel 2500 Onboard graphics.

That might be causing crashes because of the graphical memory.

Having said all this, are there any tell-tale signs that it is actually the saved game file that is corrupt or contains the bug that is causing the crash?

Thanks for the help.

I am using HD Intel 2500 Onboard graphics.

I can't guarantee yes or no, but this is definitely not a supported card. TW1 was actually very graphically intensive for the time and requires a dedicated GPU. Backwards compatibility with newer on-board never ceases to amaze me, but TW1 is likely not a title that will cooperate with such a "workaround" nicely.

Having said all this, are there any tell-tale signs that it is actually the saved game file that is corrupt or contains the bug that is causing the crash?

Not particularly. TW1 would likely fail to load outright and return an error if there was a problem with the save. The big issue here is that you're running the game in an environment that it was never meant to run in (...the onboard graphics thing). That means that it might be really hard to narrow down what could be wrong, as the unsupported video will likely complicate everything. Kind of like trying to tell which colors are incorrect while wearing tinted lenses.

Are you using a desktop or laptop? Can you post your full specs? (There are graphics cards that will run TW1 at maximum+ graphics that you can grab for about $50.)

Generally speaking if the game crashed while saving then it`s possible the save is corrupted. Look in your Documents>The Witcher>saves. There should be nothing in there but manual quick or autosaves. If there are a bunch of random files then yes you have a corrupted save. There might be also be a crash file in your game installation directory which should read ERRLOG.TXT in your Witcher>System folder. If there is then you can attach it in your next post. Also if using Steam or GOG then be sure and check the game integrity files. Also ensure your CPU isn`t overheating.

Top Bottom